Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winston Churchill

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
If you genuinely can't grasp my point (and I'm highly sceptical) then your lack of perception is remarkable, are you really that thick ? So for your benefit, you said that there was little that Britain or America could do to force Stalin and the rest of the soviet government to take their forces back behind their own borders immediately after the end of ww2, I said that the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima ( who were nuked as a warning to comply with the will of the allied forces , I.e surrender, ) would disagree, clear enough for you ?

If you are talking about 1945 then you need to look at exactly how many bombs the US possessed at that point, from the records in August 1945 they had the two they dropped on Japan and another which would have been ready to use from mid August. They had planned to produce one a month but production was halted when Japan surrendered and did not resume until 1946 when the wartime alliance was breaking down. During that initial time period there was a genuine belief from all sides that the alliance would work into peacetime and problems could be ironed out.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I seem to remember he wanted to carry on and do the Russians, pity the Americans didn't have the appetite or else the World map surely would look better than it is.

TNBA

TTF

He was also out of power by that point, one of the reasons he lost the 1945 election was a war weary country wanting peace and was not prepared to vote in someone who had the capacity to send them away on another military venture.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He said and you are ugly but then left it at 'but I shall be sober in the morning, ' thereby inferring but not saying that she would still be ugly in the morning.

Actually you've missed part of the quote out:

Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk
Winston Churchill: And you are ugly, but at least in the morning I will be sober

As I said.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I seem to remember he wanted to carry on and do the Russians, pity the Americans didn't have the appetite or else the World map surely would look better than it is.

TNBA

TTF

The plan was to chase them back to within their own borders. Nothing more than that. It was known as Operation Fanciful, because it was exactly that.

Logistically, it was impossible. That's why a defensive strategy was adopted. Stalin was too strong.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you genuinely can't grasp my point (and I'm highly sceptical) then your lack of perception is remarkable, are you really that thick ? So for your benefit, you said that there was little that Britain or America could do to force Stalin and the rest of the soviet government to take their forces back behind their own borders immediately after the end of ww2, I said that the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima ( who were nuked as a warning to comply with the will of the allied forces , I.e surrender, ) would disagree, clear enough for you ?

So you were saying nuke Russia and also Eastern Europe as a way of telling the Russians to retreat to their now devastated country ? So we bomb our own allies, who we haven't yet declared war with as they are, er, our allies as a thank you for doing the heavy lifting in destroying the Nazis. This would be a bit unsporting to the poor old Poles, Bulgarians etc who happened to have noisy neighbours.

Obviously, I am the thick one out of the two of us as I couldn't believe that anyone could think like that.

I'm not going to go in to it at length but,the Japanese situation was entirely different, they were a people who would fight to the death over every inch of Japan and its islands. The nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a way of saying " resistance Is Futile " and bringing them to the table, besides, they were bombed as there would be no considerable " fallout " geographically to the allies and it would save a mountain of casualties.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
So you were saying nuke Russia and also Eastern Europe as a way of telling the Russians to retreat to their now devastated country ? So we bomb our own allies, who we haven't yet declared war with as they are, er, our allies as a thank you for doing the heavy lifting in destroying the Nazis. This would be a bit unsporting to the poor old Poles, Bulgarians etc who happened to have noisy neighbours.

Obviously, I am the thick one out of the two of us as I couldn't believe that anyone could think like that.

I'm not going to go in to it at length but,the Japanese situation was entirely different, they were a people who would fight to the death over every inch of Japan and its islands. The nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a way of saying " resistance Is Futile " and bringing them to the table, besides, they were bombed as there would be no considerable " fallout " geographically to the allies and it would save a mountain of casualties.

Actually yes , you are the thick one out of the two of us, by some distance actually, you 'couldn't believe anyone would think like that ' well perhaps you should do some research, you should also learn a little bit about our 'allies' the Russians as well , stuff like the von Ribbentrop pact and they yalta agreement, but you won't , you'll just spout meaningless , I'll founded rubbish that goes down well with the other pseudo intellectuals on here.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Actually yes , you are the thick one out of the two of us, by some distance actually, you 'couldn't believe anyone would think like that ' well perhaps you should do some research, you should also learn a little bit about our 'allies' the Russians as well , stuff like the von Ribbentrop pact and they yalta agreement, but you won't , you'll just spout meaningless , I'll founded rubbish that goes down well with the other pseudo intellectuals on here.
Yeah right, nuke Russia and eastern Europe to prevent the cold war. Do the same in the middle east today and ISIL ect poblems will be solved.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

:rotlf:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
There would have been no stomach in this country to bomb the civilian population of one of our allies who had lost 17m in the process. I am sure people would have simply wanted to get back home.

These ideas may have been explored, like many others, but did they ever get close to implementation?

This may help explain why Churchill lost the election.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Spot on.

As it happens my Dad was on a school trip the very same day of his funeral. Witnessed Churchill's funeral barge heading down the Thames.

Remember going to Saturday morning pictures and finding it cancelled due to his funeral. Was gutted.

...and of course, on a separate issue, the allies should have nuked the Russians, for not doing what the British told them to do.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Actually you've missed part of the quote out:

Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk
Winston Churchill: And you are ugly, but at least in the morning I will be sober

There was another one, possibly with the same woman..
Woman: If you were my husband, I would serve you poison.
Churchill: Madam, if you were my wife, I would take it.

Edit: already mentioned.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And again.....

Best let it go Bushy, it would never work between us. I'm too practical and far to thick for your intellect and besides, you are just an old romantic with all your grand thoughts of atomising Russia and Eastern Europe. I'm flattered by your interest in little me but as I say, it would never work between us. Sorry.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Best let it go Bushy, it would never work between us. I'm too practical and far to thick for your intellect and besides, you are just an old romantic with all your grand thoughts of atomising Russia and Eastern Europe. I'm flattered by your interest in little me but as I say, it would never work between us. Sorry.
3rd time....

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
There was another one, possibly with the same woman..
Woman: If you were my husband, I would serve you poison.
Churchill: Madam, if you were my wife, I would take it.

Edit: already mentioned.

Another I believe involved an invitation for Churchill to the opening night of a particular play worded as "Please find enclosed tickets for the opening night. Bring a friend... if you have one."

Churchill immediately sent a telegram back... "Unable to attend opening night STOP Will attend second night STOP if you have one STOP"

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Indeed. He was obviously a 'child of his time' so he can't be blamed for having Victorian views, but as a politician he was wrong about almost everything: Ireland, India, the Gold Standard, the Dardenelles, Edward VIII - but he was bang on with the Nazis. The right man at the right time - and thank **** for that, Can you imagine any of today's politicians doing it? (Just watched Mo Molam's 'Great Britons' programme where she pays him full homage).

I remember as a boy watching his funeral on TV. It went on for bloody ages but I felt I should watch all of it.

Pretty much this (except for the watching the funeral part). There is a lot to dislike about Churchill, but his stewardship of Britain through the war buys him a pass. For all his faults he was indeed a Great Briton, when Britain needed him most. There simply is no getting round the monumental role he played during WWII

It reflects well on the electorate that once the war was over he was roundly rejected as peacetime premier when the country needed rebuilding afterwards with a different kind of politics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here