Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just finished upgrading from 7. Still trying to find out why it is 'light years better'. Especially for those who accepted the default install settings and are now signed up to advertising. A bit prettier and an improvement on 8 but I'm yet to be convinced of any major benefits. Perhaps I should ask Cortana?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I made the mistake of leaving my laptop on whilst I went out for the evening on Tuesday. Got a text from the missus along the lines of "Aarrgh! The screen went black, now it's saying sit back and relax."

My blood ran cold.

So, get back home and find Windows 10 installed, despite having told it to delay. Now it's Friday. I tried watching the game on a stream - all fine and dandy, but when I tried to plug the laptop into the telly (worked fine before), guess what? Nothing. So far, I've had to turn off all the insidious spyware, found I can't uninstall useless crap (I can't get rid of Groove Music for example, whatever that is - I don't want it and don't need it) and now I've lost functionality.

I feel I have finally lost control of my laptop. Not sure whether I should hit the rollback button (I have probably only 27/28 days left to do that - helpfully, Microsoft give you 1 month to change your mind) or install Linux and say goodbye to this bullshit. I like playing games though, so I think the rollback option is the likely one.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I feel I have finally lost control of my laptop. Not sure whether I should hit the rollback button (I have probably only 27/28 days left to do that - helpfully, Microsoft give you 1 month to change your mind) or install Linux and say goodbye to this bullshit. I like playing games though, so I think the rollback option is the likely one.

Make a list of all the software you need (I refuse to call them "apps"), and check out Linux alternatives. I find my list of programs I can't replace is getting shorter, but they tend to be major things like Lightroom and GPS stuff.

D

Deleted member 22389

Make a list of all the software you need (I refuse to call them "apps"), and check out Linux alternatives. I find my list of programs I can't replace is getting shorter, but they tend to be major things like Lightroom and GPS stuff.

Been using Linux full time for the last 5 years, your right the list does get smaller. The only thing I need is Photoshop CS which runs fine in Wine

As for Lightroom this still shows a rating of Garbage for a lot of people trying to get it running in Wine
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5839

This could be interesting for Linux users below. If it goes in Crossover then it will eventually get in to Wine, this also means plenty more Windows programs will run, so I wonder if Lightroom could be one of them?
http://news.softpedia.com/news/directx-11-support-to-land-in-crossover-soon-484906.shtml

On top of this we have Steam and more commitment to Linux games.

When I started using Linux 15 years ago it was awful. I spent 2 days getting the NVidia card running I was chuffed, then when I restarted the machine next day and it had completely disappeared. It was the same with a lot of hardware, lucky to get your onboard sound detected, drives and other stuff, now as you know it finds and installs most drivers. I love the freedom of Linux. I can't go back to Windows anymore, it might look nice but it's just the feeling of being controlled by Microsoft is what I hate and the need to install Anti Virus, Spyware Removers and other crap just to ensure you stay safe, which completely slows down the machine.

I'm running the latest KDE Mint here on a laptop that's 10 years old, no issues whatsoever.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

For me, it's just a few games that Steam for Linux doesn't support. All the serious software I use can be done with Linux and in most cases, much more reliably.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I would love a move to Linux but I'm a man child and like to play the latest video games most of which, although some, aren't on Linux.

Hopefully the Steam OS will mean that more games come on Linux, actually I quite like Windows 10 other than the privacy issues that come with it. If you use chrome though you're probably transmitting the same data to Google anyway.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
bill.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... actually I quite like Windows 10 other than the privacy issues that come with it. If you use chrome though you're probably transmitting the same data to Google anyway.

from what i gather, the Windows 10 privacy and data slurping defaults are enough to make Google blush, at least they ask you. one review on Windows 10 described it as a 3GB keylogger.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Well, I've rolled back to 8.1 now. At least I can hook the laptop up to the telly again. As for my desktop, I think I'll leave it as it is, dual booting Win 7 and Mint.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Does anybody know if my boxed, retail version of Windows 7 would still be usable and activate on another PC if I upgrade to 10.
Or do I simply throw it away?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Will this upgrade help installing iTunes? My laptop decided it was no longer working with iTunes and no matter what I've tried I simply cannot install it, I can download it but it won't allow me select to save the file, only to run it. Eventually I get ERROR 7 and it reverses the download :cry:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Will this upgrade help installing iTunes? My laptop decided it was no longer working with iTunes and no matter what I've tried I simply cannot install it, I can download it but it won't allow me select to save the file, only to run it. Eventually I get ERROR 7 and it reverses the download :cry:

I remember having that issue before. I can't remember exactly how I got round it. I think I downloaded on another computer and transferred it by usb.

If that doesn't work, I don't know whether windows 10 will work. I suspect so, but if you upgrade to windows 10, you have thirty days to roll back, so you can give it a go and roll back if you don't like it.

EDIT: Have you had a look at this help page? https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201668

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I remember having that issue before. I can't remember exactly how I got round it. I think I downloaded on another computer and transferred it by usb.

If that doesn't work, I don't know whether windows 10 will work. I suspect so, but if you upgrade to windows 10, you have thirty days to roll back, so you can give it a go and roll back if you don't like it.

EDIT: Have you had a look at this help page? https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201668

Thanks for your reply. I've exhausted all of the suggestions in the link you've provided, unforunately. The error says the 'Apple Mobile Device Service' wouldn't launch and I should check to see if I have the relevant privileges. I'm running the computer on the administrator's account. Baffling and very frustrating.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

My wife has installed Win 10 this morning, and the only complaint I've heard from her is that iTunes isn't working properly...

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Does anybody know if my boxed, retail version of Windows 7 would still be usable and activate on another PC if I upgrade to 10.
Or do I simply throw it away?

I'm assuming you have a Win7 cd? If so they sometimes come with a defined amount of use so you will need to check that first.
As for your updated computer to Win10 you still have your original Win7 on the computer hidden in a file named OLD OS or similar.
It maybe possible to save the OLD OS file to a flash drive in order to use on other computers.
Please note: I do not have either Win7 or Win10 so I can't say I have tried this out but in theory it should work.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I'm assuming you have a Win7 cd? If so they sometimes come with a defined amount of use so you will need to check that first.
As for your updated computer to Win10 you still have your original Win7 on the computer hidden in a file named OLD OS or similar.
It maybe possible to save the OLD OS file to a flash drive in order to use on other computers.
Please note: I do not have either Win7 or Win10 so I can't say I have tried this out but in theory it should work.
Cheers.
Yeah, have Win 7 on disc in a pretty green box and thought it seemed a waste to bin it.
Was hoping to put it on Junior 's Vista PC, but not sure if it will activate as this Win 7 will be the one used to upgrade my PC to Win 10.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of days ago and it was surprisingly easy and trouble-free – taking about 90 minutes from start to finish. Although I've not tried all the new features, I have already decided to abandon Edge, Microsoft's much-vaunted new browser, Firstly, because it completely screws up any attempt to import bookmarks/favourites from Chrome, destroying the original, carefully constructed layout as well as all those highly distinctive individual bookmark icons.

And secondly, because Edge is apparently incapable of working with Adblock – meaning every website now takes far longer to load with all its useless advertising junk and pop-ups.

This is really disappointing because all the hype was suggesting that Microsoft have learnt their lesson in ditching the hopelessly inefficient Internet Explorer series in favour of the shiny new dawn that is Edge.

Anyone else encountered similar problems?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here