Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will the AMEX be EXTENDED if we go UP ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Risk vs reward though isn't it? As there's not really good locations to move the police box or the screen you can only build back between those two points, plus to the right of the screen. How many seats is that? Maybe 100-150?

You really think police or a screen would be obstacles to expansion? The screen could go in the corner, or failing that they could just get rid of it. The police box could go at the south end.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
You really think police or a screen would be obstacles to expansion? The screen could go in the corner, or failing that they could just get rid of it. The police box could go at the south end.

Cool, that raises the cost of expansion even more then. And if you put the police box in the south stand you'd probably have to remove some of the hospitality up that end, which'd lose the club money in that regard.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Cool, that raises the cost of expansion even more then. And if you put the police box in the south stand you'd probably have to remove some of the hospitality up that end, which'd lose the club money in that regard.

Loads of room for it in this corner:
brighton-stadium-4383-677121_478x359.jpg

I believe filling in the corners, putting in the extra boxes, and extending the middle tier of the west stand cost circa £20m, so I imagine you'd be looking at a similar figure. Make the north safe standing while you're at it and hey presto 6,000 added to the capacity.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
The only way to extend 'The Amex' is to call it 'The American Express Community Stadium.'

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I have it on dodgy second hand authority there are already plans drawn up for a second tier in the north stand

Despite the flakiness of my source, I think it will happen.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I have it on dodgy second hand authority there are already plans drawn up for a second tier in the north stand

We all love a flaky source. Repetition will lead to it becoming FACT.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

My thinking as well, a small tier holding approx 1.5k but giving the North Stand a low 'roof' to amplify the crowd noise*

*lives in hope.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I'm only guessing but going down is probably no more feasible than anything else. As I recall, a major expense involved in building the Amex in the first place (that many other grounds simply didn't have) was the cost of removing and relocating the top of a whacking great downland area so that the stadium could nestle in keeping with the area rather than sitting on top of it, thus provoking claims of it being an eyesore.

So the cost of digging down another 15 metres, and then back under the existing stands to create a lower tier, and with erecting steel girders to support the existing structure would be absolutely insane. And what for? To allow another 7-8,000 fans to watch, about 3 times a season?

Nah. IMO, the only way capacity will ever be increased will be if the decision is made to reduce leg-room in some areas of the ground to squeeze maybe another 1,000 in.

TBH, if you look at the stadium, there are loads of little pockets of space where a few hundred seats could be added here and there, the fact is we just don't need to. one place where I think they should definitely put in a few more rows of terracing though is the back of the SE corner (see back of SW corner). http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Amex-Stadium-Brighton-2.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Showing home games live via the tellies on the concourses could add THOUSANDS of concourse-only punters to the gate. Think about it: you could STAND, you could DRINK, you could slope off after 85 minutes without anybody calling you a tosser. What's not to like? :moo:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Showing home games live via the tellies on the concourses could add THOUSANDS of concourse-only punters to the gate. Think about it: you could STAND, you could DRINK, you could slope off after 85 minutes without anybody calling you a tosser. What's not to like? :moo:

Might even stretch it to 86 mins as they would be that much closer to the exits.

Incidentally, at QPR game the bloke in front of me got up c44 missing the AK free kick, didn't come back down after HT until c51 just after the skalak rocket. Didn't seem much bothered :shrug:

Jestingly, I felt like asking him if he'd do it more often, but then I already know that he does it every game.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

This is genuinely a thing in the States at some NFL stadiums. Believe they're called "Party Passes", you get to watch the game at the stadium in a series of interconnected, standing only "decks". While I think you can see the game from some of them, they make a big selling point that you can watch the game's on big TVs scattered around the areas you get access to.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
This is genuinely a thing in the States at some NFL stadiums. Believe they're called "Party Passes", you get to watch the game at the stadium in a series of interconnected, standing only "decks". While I think you can see the game from some of them, they make a big selling point that you can watch the game's on big TVs scattered around the areas you get access to.

In the states people genuinely will sit outside the stadium in their cars listening to the game on the radio. weird bunch

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Daft though this may sound, I believe there are plans for a beer marquee outside the stadium, where this could really work!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here