Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will Lewis Dunk ever play for England again?

Will Lewis Dunk play for England again?

• Never while Southgate is in charge

Votes: 231 47.6%
  • Yes, Southgate will pick him eventually

Votes: 50 10.3%
  • Only if Southgate leaves/gets sacked

Votes: 169 34.8%
  • No, he's not good enough

Votes: 35 7.2%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why do the supposed senior Journos never question Southgate or ask the difficult questions? All, pretty much without exception are far too close to him and don't want to be ostracised by upsetting him or the FA.

Mings and Stones don't get picked by their club managers - but Southgate says he picks players on current form?

As it happens I'd keep all three of Stones, Sterling and Kane in the squad but I wouldn't haven't Mings (or probably Coady) anywhere near the squad.

I suppose they don't want to be the journalistic equivalent of NSCs 'Potter Out' bores of a few short months ago :shrug:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
If I take off my Gareth Southgate is an ex Palace hook nosed CJTC hat for a brief moment I kind of get the importance of continuity in a squad but he cannot say he picks on form and then ignore how out of form Mings is. It’s not even about Dunk for me anymore it’s just laughable that Mings gets near the squad over others for the last 3 to 4 squads. Ridiculous. And for that reason Clive i’m out.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We beat ONE decent side in those two tournaments - Germany in the Euros.

When the chips were down (Croatia in the WC Semi and Italy in the Euro final ) he was found wanting.

(Nations league - really?)

by decent I assume you mean a big name.

I'm sure you would care if we got an easy route to the FA cup final.

Who cares anyway , we got to the final and it was an amazing time. The record books reflect it.

Roll on the world cup ( the knockers can pipe down again )

Take me back to when we first met ...................

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
100% with you, he 's a tactical moron when he comes up against a half decent manager of a good team. Totally incapable of reading what is happening and what changes are needed when the balance of play swings. Just sticks with plan A regardless as far as I can tell. I could be wrong as I don't watch that many England games but I do watch the big ones.
Another one that agrees that Southgate is incompetent, we got where we did in those competition s despite him not because of him.

This does not mean I don't care about England but the opposite we are in danger of wasting the talent in the squad and it frustrates me.

For an ex defender he is blind in his selections, Dunk and White should be in over any of Maguire, Mings or Coady.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
100% this.

He picks White last season when although playing 'well', he wasn't playing at the top of his game.

Now he leaves him out (and he's been great for Arsenal recently) and yet continues to pick Mings who has been dropped by Villa.

Baffling.

I thought white is not well!

How mines gets anywhere near the team it amazes me. All I can say is that the palace one seems very loyal to his band of merrie men. ( apart from sancho - off back to Germany the rumour is )

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Random probably incorrect thought: Dunk is captain, and Southgate doesn't look like he puts two club level captains in the same position. Pickford, Maguire, Henderson and Kane from a quick look. One in each role. The one appearance Dunk made he was the only club level captain among the back 4. For as long as Maguire is in the team then Dunk won't be if that's correct, and lesser talents will be. Doesn't justify why Maguire seems to be chosen regardless of form but does perhaps explain why others are chosen over Dunk.

Kane isn’t Spurs captain

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I take off my Gareth Southgate is an ex Palace hook nosed CJTC hat for a brief moment I kind of get the importance of continuity in a squad but he cannot say he picks on form and then ignore how out of form Mings is. It’s not even about Dunk for me anymore it’s just laughable that Mings gets near the squad over others for the last 3 to 4 squads. Ridiculous. And for that reason Clive i’m out.

In fairness Dunk's case would be a little stronger were it not for Man City.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Southgate doesn't even deserve a job as a ball boy. Pathetic individual. Saw his embarrassing excuse as to why Sancho and another I can't think of were excluded and yet Sterling and Stones get called up. Couldn't make it up, the guy is a clown.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t necessarily think Dunk justifies an England call up just now.

But there’s no way in the world Mings should be anywhere near an England squad, ever.

The brainless donkey will likely get 50 caps. Based on what? He has a bit of pace and stood up to racists in the Balkans.

0 out of 10 for:
Positional sense.
A key mistake or more per EPL game.
Losing the person he’s marking / ball watching.
He can’t pass to save his life.

Villa are shipping bucketloads of goals.

Southgate’s astonishing blindspot.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't think he will, and it's England's loss and not Brighton's.

And I'll add to that, if Arsenal had come in for Dunk three years ago, that summer we all thought he may go, and if he did wished him well, they would have saved themselves at least £30 Million, even more points and a whole lot of embarrassing Arsenal TV videos.

Seems we're stuck with him :wink:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Dunk is one of the most consistently high performing central defenders in the PL and constantly being overlooked by Southgate is a slap in the face for such a top pro.

Gutted for him as sadly he looks set to join a long list of top level talent that’s face does not fit in the England set up

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who from the Euro's is actually playing well, at the moment?

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
More to this than meets the eye.

Southgate called him up, played him and Dunk performed well against the USA.

I’m certain Southgate saw something during that training camp he didn’t like in Dunk.

Be that his general attitude (improbable), or his attitude to training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
Mings and Coady would not even get into our side . Unfortunately like every other England manager in my life time it’s not how good you are but what club you are at !!! Mings seems to be a good guy but a England standard player he is not and like others have said Coady is picked because he is a good egg and shouts on the pitch . Southgate is over rated but all the time he keeps getting England to the semis he will stay
Dunk unfortunately will never play for England again

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Dunk committed that one silly foul tugging back a player running in on goal and getting himself sent off when realistically he should of let him go considering the match situation, I remember a lot of media waffle about it so Southgate being Southgate has obviously decided Dunk must do it a lot so he's a liability.

This may sound a ridiculous reason for Dunks omission but I can't fathom out any other logical reason why Dunk shouldn't be at least in the squad, picking Mings ahead of Dunk is just laughable and as much as I love England I honestly hope mighty San Marino and the Albanians give us a thumping or at least score one because frankly if you manage to concede against these two teams as a CB you should hang up your boots.

Southgate man , give your head a wobble ffs.

Mings ! Wtf.

scooter1

How soon is now?
More to this than meets the eye.

Southgate called him up, played him and Dunk performed well against the USA.

I’m certain Southgate saw something during that training camp he didn’t like in Dunk.

Be that his general attitude (improbable), or his attitude to training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently he’s a lazy trainer, and Southgate didn’t like this during his brief time with England. I say apparently, as this is what I heard.
I’m disappointed for Dunk as I think he’s good enough and on current form is one of the top 3 or 4 English central defenders, but if it means he continues to perform for our club week in week out, then its Englands loss

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't believe I'm saying this but fhe only thing worse than Dunk being left out for Mings is the non-inclusion of Conor Gallagher. No new inclusions whatsoever - the World Cup squad already picks itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here