Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will Lewis Dunk ever play for England again?

Will Lewis Dunk play for England again?

• Never while Southgate is in charge

Votes: 231 47.6%
  • Yes, Southgate will pick him eventually

Votes: 50 10.3%
  • Only if Southgate leaves/gets sacked

Votes: 169 34.8%
  • No, he's not good enough

Votes: 35 7.2%

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, he won’t play regardless of who’s in charge. I think part of England’s failure at tournaments is that no matter who is in charge most of the players come from the ‘big 6’. Other nations are more open to playing players outside of the big clubs and more open to picking players on form.

I like to believe that a different, better man, would be more open to selecting players based on ability and form. Waistecoat has failed in that regard.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
No, he won’t play regardless of who’s in charge. I think part of England’s failure at tournaments is that no matter who is in charge most of the players come from the ‘big 6’. Other nations are more open to playing players outside of the big clubs and more open to picking players on form.
Dunk was easier to ignore when we in relegation battles. However, now we are challenging for Europe, and have an excellent defensive record (5th best in league) it will be much harder for even Southgate to ignore.
And Dunk can play left or right of a two or in a 3, so is much more adaptable than many he picks.
And he has become one of the top ball playing centre halves in the country.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
By the way, a while back Maguire mentioned that Man Utd had a very good record in games that he had started this season. I missed whether any of the journos pointed out to him that since the two losses in the opening home and away games, against us and Brentford, ten Hag has started him in only 5 EPL games. Those were against West Ham (15th), Bournemouth (13th), Leeds (17th), Everton (19th) & Forest (18th). Other then that he has played a total of only 33 minutes stretched across six sub appearances. He hasn't been trusted to start against anyone in the top half since his manager got a look at him in the first two games and twigged that he's a flat track bully who cannot cope with the highest quality attackers.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
When first employed waistcoat said he would pick players based on form, and for a while he did, but then later he ditched that in favour of creating in his words a “club mentality at England level” which essentially means picking the same players over and over again. It’s boring, has failed him, and shows a real lack of ability in integrating new players. It’s also a massive disrespect to the Lewis Dunk’s of this world, especially when he starts making the comments about having to dip into the Championship to fill the squad.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
I can’t remember any players apart from maybe Vardy that became regulars for England in their late twenties or early thirties. It seems the FA and or Southgate only seem to want to bring in new players that are in their early or mid twenties and then seem to stick with the same core group of players for the next 5-10 years.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
There is starting to be a bit of a groundswell in Lewis’ favour and I do wonder if it will make Southgate dig his heels in even more. After all I believe he comes from Sussex and you know how pig headed they can be!
Just checked and he's not Sussex born but he is pig-headed enough to be.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
The Waistcoat Wanker is as myopic as they come… but he IS a ‘yes’ man.

If the FA want Dunk, he’ll get picked.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Is Dunk eligible for another country? I'd go and play for Ireland or whoever. Think his only cap was in a friendly so he's good to go.

And you know what Southgate is going to say now when he explains why he isn't in the squad. It'll be 'Well, he's 31 now so time isn't on his side...'

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Is Dunk eligible for another country? I'd go and play for Ireland or whoever. Think his only cap was in a friendly so he's good to go.

And you know what Southgate is going to say now when he explains why he isn't in the squad. It'll be 'Well, he's 31 now so time isn't on his side...'
He already has a full cap for England, so no.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There is obviously a reason that England's top centre back for the last 2 seasons (and disputably a couple of seasons before that) doesn't make the England squad :shrug:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I think it's the only explanation. Did someone on here also mention that it's because Harry Kane has an issue with him???
I think Maguire does too so it seems reasonable to assume that his face didn't fit in when he was called up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Maguire does too so it seems reasonable to assume that his face didn't fit in when he was called up.
I doubt his 'win at all costs' mentality sits well with the Harry's.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
If England want to give themselves the best chance of winning Euro 2024, Dunk and Stones/Tomori should be playing every England fixture until it kicks off. It really shouldn't be too late for Lewis, he'll still be at the peak of his abilities next summer. Hopefully with another season of RDZ coaching under his belt.

Maguire, Mings and Dier are just nowhere near the level required, and Dunk is evidently streets ahead of younger options like Colwill and Guehi

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If England want to give themselves the best chance of winning Euro 2024, Dunk and Stones/Tomori should be playing every England fixture until it kicks off. It really shouldn't be too late for Lewis, he'll still be at the peak of his abilities next summer. Hopefully with another season of RDZ coaching under his belt.

Maguire, Mings and Dier are just nowhere near the level required, and Dunk is evidently streets ahead of younger options like Colwill and Guehi
You appear to be suggesting the England manager can coach to a level above the abilities of Maguire, Mings and Dier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here