Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Buckley

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
They think they got closer to promotion because their deluded manager said they finished above us.

And he hasn't gone backwards since leaving. He was very disappointing the last two seasons he was with us, a pale shadow of the player that joined us.

We were 1 goal away (against Boro). They would have to have scored 2 against Hull...Educating Yorkshire did them buffoons no favours did it?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
From Owlstalk

"
Love how Brighton seem to think he's gone backwards since he left them... He's contracted to Premier League Sunderland and he's joined a Championship team that came closer to promotion last season than Brighton did. Hardly going backwards since leaving the Mighty Seagulls!!"

I know they are thick up north but how did they get closer to promotion than us?

Precisely - he went backwards WHILE he was with us.

For the benefit of any Owlstalk lurkers:

- He was brilliant at Watford and then with us.
- He did his hamstring
- He returned from injury a shadow of the player he was previously
- Gus signed him for loadsamoney where he did naff all at Sunderland
- He then had two loan spells where he did naff all.

This is not talking him down.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Best moment for me was vs Southampton, when Dan Harding was subbed after 40 minutes and left the pitch in TEARS, such was the fearful mauling he was getting from Buckley that afternoon.

This.

I'm STILL laughing at Dan Harding for that.

(As well as at Jonathan Obika's overhead kick a couple of seasons later).

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
From Owlstalk

"
Love how Brighton seem to think he's gone backwards since he left them... He's contracted to Premier League Sunderland and he's joined a Championship team that came closer to promotion last season than Brighton did. Hardly going backwards since leaving the Mighty Seagulls!!"

I know they are thick up north but how did they get closer to promotion than us?

The fact their season end after ours perhaps?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Put simply. If Buckley came back here, how much game time would he get? You have to conclude that his hamstring problems have limited his effect since the season before he was sold. He has done nothing that I have seen since..

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
To the Owls fans

Will Buckley was good for us......injured....never the same.

We now have Knocky, Skalak, Murphy, Lua Lua, all capable of emulating Buckley at his best. We loved Will Buckley but he was a very in or out of form player. Before he was injured you were lucky to get 1 game in 6 when he was superb. After his injury he never hit the heights again. When he is out of form he looks a very lacklustre player.No one would wish him anything but good luck but he has just had his best years.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
To the Owls fans

Will Buckley was good for us......injured....never the same.

We now have Knocky, Skalak, Murphy, Lua Lua, all capable of emulating Buckley at his best. We loved Will Buckley but he was a very in or out of form player. Before he was injured you were lucky to get 1 game in 6 when he was superb. After his injury he never hit the heights again. When he is out of form he looks a very lacklustre player.No one would wish him anything but good luck but he has just had his best years.

They are not so fast as Buckley and not as good on their weak peg. But Buckley never played to his potential.

The match Leeds v Albion summed it up In 20 minutes he touched the ball 8 times. Made six simple passes, won two fouls and got Bruno and Bong booked for them.

I still like to have speed merchant in the side though. It helps both when up against it and defending and when holding a lead when the ball can be played long to the wing with the opposing full backs pushing up. The is nothing an opposing full back dislikes more than sheer pace.

Maybe we can sign Lookman?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I can't bring myself to post anything disrespectful about Buckley, he single handedly provided one of the most memorable, emotional and maniacally celebrated goals I've ever had the pleasure to be witness to, it still puts a tingle up my spine watching it now:

Skip to 1 min 05 Sec for the second goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here