Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why we have our bottle tops confiscated

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
100% this. if we want to dish out the abuse we should have a thick enough skin to take some back when a player has cause to celebrate. it's all part of the pantomime

Exactly [MENTION=12880]Hotchilidog[/MENTION] and in all honesty 99.99% of fans in a football stadium can refrain from chucking anything at anyone. That is not in question. Many many matches week on week manage to happen with many goals, many players celebrating but nothing thrown.

However, 1 or 2 idiots ruin it for everyone. They will always ruin it for everyone because they are idiots. We have laws and rules in place for these idiots and signs like 'don't throw money in the pond' or 'don't bang your head'. Unfortunately idiots exist. As said previously I can't take a cycling change of clothes because I'm not allowed a bag bigger than A4, no drink or bottle tops, all because of the idiots. They impact on all of us.

My point is, because of these idiots, and clubs will have CCTV and stewards and do their best to ensure these idiots don't impact everyone else's enjoyment, why can't we ask professional footballers not to go right up to the opposing fan hoardings, gesturing and goading the fans? Not because 30,000 can't handle because they can, but because 1 or 2 idiots can't.

Was it Rogdri at Arsenal in the last minute who won the game? He actually chose to run away from his own fans who were deliriously celebrating behind the goal he scored in and would no doubt have LOVED their players to have celebrated with them, and chose instead to run away from them to the home supporters. That to me is also idiotic and unnecessary. It doesn't justify stuff being thrown in the slightest, but it is idiotic all the same. Remember Ward-Prowse at the Amex a few seasons ago? I don't think anyone even thought to throw anything because it was just completely bizarre that he felt the need to do what he did. We all managed to restrain ourselves, because we're not idiots generally, but what a prick he was none the less.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It’s not just opposing players that can get hit by the bottles…..

I’d like to think that any bottle thrown is instinctive/ spur of the moment rather than a pre planned act requiring the prior purchase of blue tac and tissues, then the carefully sealing of the bottle top. I would hope that at some point during this process the luzzer will have second thoughts.

Almost certainly that. I remember that lively away game away at Chesterfield when someone from our end uzzed their mobile phone onto the pitch. I can't imagine that any rational thought process went into that other than that it was an available projectile, which he likely regretted luzzing while it was still mid flight.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Exactly [MENTION=12880]Hotchilidog[/MENTION]

My point is, because of these idiots, and clubs will have CCTV and stewards and do their best to ensure these idiots don't impact everyone else's enjoyment, why can't we ask professional footballers not to go right up to the opposing fan hoardings, gesturing and goading the fans? Not because 30,000 can't handle because they can, but because 1 or 2 idiots can't.

Isn't there a rule that says players can be booked for leaving the field of play without permission? If there still is, warn players that it will be enforced and start booking them if they run off the pitch to celebrate.

They book players now for removing their shirts and we get fewer of that so it would work.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Almost certainly that. I remember that lively away game away at Chesterfield when someone from our end uzzed their mobile phone onto the pitch. I can't imagine that any rational thought process went into that other than that it was an available projectile, which he likely regretted luzzing while it was still mid flight.

I was at that game

Lucky the luzzer wasn’t holding a small child instead of his phone!! 😀

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I just want to thrown in the mix as some people have asked what's the real reason for no bottle tops - well firstly Im suggesting you buy more bottles and the tendency is to drink it all in one go or thereabouts, BUT the issue I am questioning is how many of these get knocked over and create slippery stairways etc? That's a hazard too. Ok it can still happen with lids on not screwed on properly or bottles knocked over whilst the lid has been removed etc but far less likely to happen), given as another forum user asked has there been any record at the Amex of bottles being thrown, isn't this take the lid of policy all a bit OTT and unnecessary?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I just want to thrown in the mix as some people have asked what's the real reason for no bottle tops - well firstly Im suggesting you buy more bottles and the tendency is to drink it all in one go or thereabouts, BUT the issue I am questioning is how many of these get knocked over and create slippery stairways etc? That's a hazard too. Ok it can still happen with lids on not screwed on properly or bottles knocked over whilst the lid has been removed etc but far less likely to happen), given as another forum user asked has there been any record at the Amex of bottles being thrown, isn't this take the lid of policy all a bit OTT and unnecessary?

I think you are over thinking this. Yes, plastic bottles have been thrown before and after bottle tops were banned. I don’t recall anyone being injured by slipping on the stairwell as a result of spilt drinks.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Doesn't it also depend what you have refilled the bottle with, after you have drunk the original contents?

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I think you are over thinking this. Yes, plastic bottles have been thrown before and after bottle tops were banned. I don’t recall anyone being injured by slipping on the stairwell as a result of spilt drinks.

If you look along any row after the game, you will see spillage from drinks that have been knocked over. This is annoying if it happens behind you and the items that you placed under your seat are now sticky and wet.
This has happened to me in the last three games so I now have to keep my things on my lap. What with Barber's seat narrowing and people wearing thicker clothes in the cold, it is already an uncomfortable experience even without things on laps or paddling in fluid.

When you look at the Director's box with wide seats, blankets and probably bottle tops, it feels like a Boris Johnson directive. "Do as I say, not as I do".

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If you look along any row after the game, you will see spillage from drinks that have been knocked over. This is annoying if it happens behind you and the items that you placed under your seat are now sticky and wet.
This has happened to me in the last three games so I now have to keep my things on my lap. What with Barber's seat narrowing and people wearing thicker clothes in the cold, it is already an uncomfortable experience even without things on laps or paddling in fluid.

When you look at the Director's box with wide seats, blankets and probably bottle tops, it feels like a Boris Johnson directive. "Do as I say, not as I do".

Given the money poured into the club to pay for a 30K all-padded-seat stadium and for us to watch some of the best players in the world, I'm not going to begrudge the directors' box being a bit more luxurious any more than I think Tony Bloom should have to join the back of the queue in WSL concourse for a half-time piss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here