Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why we have our bottle tops confiscated

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's pretty stupid of professional footballers basically goading the crowd

If half a dozen away fans were in the North and made a racket when they scored,you'd expect them to be thrown out

It doesn't sit well with me,even when Maupay does it
Tensions run high at football matches and the players should be more responsible

It's funny, you know. I am quite happy to put my goal celebrating in abeyance while VAR checks the goal. I don't agree with those who would rather have a Brighton goal falsely chalked off, or a Zaha offside goal stand than be deprived of that moment of spontaneity. And yet I am quite happy for some panto gloating when a player scores. Even theirs. I remember all the ones mentioned. I must admit I did laugh a bit at Keving Nolan, the last funky chicken in the shop. Having them trot up to the other end of the pitch to celebrate with their own fans is ludicrous. If we concede we should just suck it up. Wave sarcastically.

There was the usual old bollocks on R5 this morning. Honestly, what passes as informal filler journalism now (the unscripted chat between the footy correspondent and the anchor) sounds like an accountant and his office cleaner chatting over a cuppa. Yes they spoke about games being called off due to luzzing in France. But they didn't mention if the home side, or the side whose fans did the luzzing were the ones fined and points docked, or if there is no agreed sanction or what. No suggestions about solutions or even facts, just 'yes, a game was also called off in Switzerland; it's certainly become a problem'. Then they started 'mind you, goading of the fans isn't really sensible'. FFS. This was at a level of 'mind you, they do wear very short skirts' as a justification for rape back in the 1970s. "And those black players should think about toning down their goal celebrations if they want to avoid racist abuse. I'm not saying that some of them bring it on themselves, but....well." :facepalm:

I appreciate we may not know quite what to do about this sort of malarkey, but gimme some facts, man! If I want to travel to Leicester it's best I clarify, first, that it isn't in Somerset like this bloke I met the other day told me. The level of debate on national radio (5) is pathetic. This is thread-derailing (but why not - getting boring now, perhaps) but radio 5 has degenerated to a cheerful airhead populist load of old bollocks lateley (apart from the football commentary). I switch it off on a Sunday as soon as that Whitmore starts yammering. Christ!

Can anyone recommend a better station (current affairs for adults) than R5? As long as it doesn't have thought of the day from reverand JC Flannel, an hour of insights into the childhood of Blind Lemon Shandy Levine, and another look at Wall Street.

I'm stuffed, aren't I? I think I'm getting close to having to put the whole of bloody radio on ignore, soon, before my head explodes, innit.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Fan interaction is a massive part of the atmosphere inside a stadium. Unfortunately many struggle to see the line between amusing banter and criminal activity.

If Murray had received 70 minutes of traitor chanting at the Amex and then scored a goal to put Palace ahead he should be very entitled to celebrate with his new team mates and gloat in front of the fans without ever worrying that he would've been a victim of a crime.

Players move on and fans often create clever chants to express their frustration/joy and that's what makes live football amazing

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
In an ideal world,yes,you'd expect supporters to just take it,but this is football

Celebrate a goal by all means,but goading for me goes beyond that

After all,it's alot easier to ask 22 professional footballers to act responsibly

than asking thousands in the stands
where mob mentality is already rife

Just a bit of common really

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Unfortunately while you have morons in the crowd prepared to throw stuff, the bottle top ban will be just the start.

In Italy they also confiscate belts, and then it’s not a stretch to see them confiscating coins (already we have a cashless ground so why bring coins?), mobiles (could easily throw a cheap pay as you go phone if so inclined), and what’s next - ban heavy shoes/boots etc?

Belts?!

The bottle thing I get, it’s spur of the moment, it’s probably in the throwers hand 99% of fans would not do something so stupid and if they do it’s ‘in the moment’, even taking a coin out of your pocket is too conscious an act IMO and likely not to happen, belts? Who the hell does that? Actually how the hell do you throw a belt?!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Tensions run high at football matches and the players should be more responsible

The same players who are subjected to dogs abuse about themselves, their wives, their mothers? The ones that have to trot over to take a corner and subject to all that abuse for doing their job and who are expected to just smile and ignore it?

They can't answer back or make any obvious gestures otherwise there would be hundreds of fans calling for a policeman because they were offended!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
IMG-20220123-WA0000.jpg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
God help any team that scores at a ground where away fans are in the upper tier. You’d not be able to celebrate without a cherry picker

If half a dozen away fans were in the North and made a racket when they scored,you'd expect them to be thrown out

It doesn't sit well with me,even when Maupay does it

Pretty stupid for any adult to lack the emotional intelligence to go to football without being able to throw an object or hurl abuse at an opposing player for daring to take a corner or score a goal.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
'' Why we have our bottle tops confiscated ''

Maybe that was the weapons factory of Mass Destruction that George W Bush was referring to in Iraq when he invaded that country back in the 90s - Maybe it was a bottle top factory ?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
i always thought it wasnt the bottle tops clubs are so worried about being thrown, its the full bottles-by the time a bottle top is thrown and reaches any player on the pitch its not going to hurt anyone-its the full bottle smashing into a players face-as at a game last weekend could. Without a top a full bottle simply becomes a fizzy pop distribution machine, covering all the fans between thrower and pitch with the stuff and then if reaching a player bounces harmlessly off

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
It's funny, you know. I am quite happy to put my goal celebrating in abeyance while VAR checks the goal. I don't agree with those who would rather have a Brighton goal falsely chalked off, or a Zaha offside goal stand than be deprived of that moment of spontaneity. And yet I am quite happy for some panto gloating when a player scores. Even theirs. I remember all the ones mentioned. I must admit I did laugh a bit at Keving Nolan, the last funky chicken in the shop. Having them trot up to the other end of the pitch to celebrate with their own fans is ludicrous. If we concede we should just suck it up. Wave sarcastically.

There was the usual old bollocks on R5 this morning. Honestly, what passes as informal filler journalism now (the unscripted chat between the footy correspondent and the anchor) sounds like an accountant and his office cleaner chatting over a cuppa. Yes they spoke about games being called off due to luzzing in France. But they didn't mention if the home side, or the side whose fans did the luzzing were the ones fined and points docked, or if there is no agreed sanction or what. No suggestions about solutions or even facts, just 'yes, a game was also called off in Switzerland; it's certainly become a problem'. Then they started 'mind you, goading of the fans isn't really sensible'. FFS. This was at a level of 'mind you, they do wear very short skirts' as a justification for rape back in the 1970s. "And those black players should think about toning down their goal celebrations if they want to avoid racist abuse. I'm not saying that some of them bring it on themselves, but....well." :facepalm:

I appreciate we may not know quite what to do about this sort of malarkey, but gimme some facts, man! If I want to travel to Leicester it's best I clarify, first, that it isn't in Somerset like this bloke I met the other day told me. The level of debate on national radio (5) is pathetic. This is thread-derailing (but why not - getting boring now, perhaps) but radio 5 has degenerated to a cheerful airhead populist load of old bollocks lateley (apart from the football commentary). I switch it off on a Sunday as soon as that Whitmore starts yammering. Christ!

Can anyone recommend a better station (current affairs for adults) than R5? As long as it doesn't have thought of the day from reverand JC Flannel, an hour of insights into the childhood of Blind Lemon Shandy Levine, and another look at Wall Street.

I'm stuffed, aren't I? I think I'm getting close to having to put the whole of bloody radio on ignore, soon, before my head explodes, innit.

not actually replying to your post H

but I've got a cat just like that :thumbsup:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
You’re joking, massive and deliberate goading of the Palace fans by Neal (and at Southampton). See also Welbeck at Chelsea.

And I think Maups dragged Welbz to the Chelsea fans?? Maups loves the panto stuff, it's fun in the heat of the moment, but he may get a physical response one day - I hope not of course.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

James O'Brian did a fantastic rant on LBC about what's wrong with Johnson and the Tories - great stuff.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Belts?!

The bottle thing I get, it’s spur of the moment, it’s probably in the throwers hand 99% of fans would not do something so stupid and if they do it’s ‘in the moment’, even taking a coin out of your pocket is too conscious an act IMO and likely not to happen, belts? Who the hell does that? Actually how the hell do you throw a belt?!!

I suppose you can use them in a scrap if you are so inclined. My sister had her Gucci belt confiscated at the Stadio Olympico in Rome, absolutely no chance of getting it back again!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Really? That's why we have our bottle tops confiscated? In the six / seven seasons when we were allowed to have bottle tops at the Amex how many bottles were thrown by Brighton fans at opposition players? Can I take a guess? Would it be none?

And if you were wanting to throw a full bottle at an opposition player and Barber had nicked your lid, a bit of blu tac or a wodge of tissue paper will do the trick.

So what's the real reason for not allowing bottle tops?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Really? That's why we have our bottle tops confiscated? In the six / seven seasons when we were allowed to have bottle tops at the Amex how many bottles were thrown by Brighton fans at opposition players? Can I take a guess? Would it be none?

And if you were wanting to throw a full bottle at an opposition player and Barber had nicked your lid, a bit of blu tac or a wodge of tissue paper will do the trick.

So what's the real reason for not allowing bottle tops?

It’s not just opposing players that can get hit by the bottles…..

I’d like to think that any bottle thrown is instinctive/ spur of the moment rather than a pre planned act requiring the prior purchase of blue tac and tissues, then the carefully sealing of the bottle top. I would hope that at some point during this process the luzzer will have second thoughts.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Why on Earth should players not go and give some back to fans who abuse them? I love it when our players score and wind up home fans. It is all part of the fun.

Blaming players for doing what they have always done is basically victim blaming. What do we want? A handshake and walk back to the halfway line? We wind up oppo players so I have no issue with them giving some back. It happens at the cricket too. Get stuck into the fielder just in front of you, he takes a catch and winds up the crowd. Good for him.

100% this. if we want to dish out the abuse we should have a thick enough skin to take some back when a player has cause to celebrate. it's all part of the pantomime

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The bottle top makes no difference whatsoever for lobbing purposes,the bottle can fly just as far without it on as it does with it on if full at the time of lobbing, extensive trials in my back garden can verify this so it's basically another rule that makes no sense whatsoever, who'd of thunked it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The bottle top makes no difference whatsoever for lobbing purposes,the bottle can fly just as far without it on as it does with it on if full at the time of lobbing, extensive trials in my back garden can verify this so it's basically another rule that makes no sense whatsoever, who'd of thunked it.

Do the same experiment again but throw it at your partner / childs head 20M away and see which one hurts more.

The bottle top argument just gives the moaners a good excuse to moan. Most people I know are discreetly taking in bottle tops in their jacket / jean pockets and getting on with their lives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here