Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is this tele so cheap?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Do they have to honour the price given?

I assume buying online is no different from a shop, but, the old adage that if a shop advertises a product at a price then they have to sell it to you at that price, even if it is mislabelled, is not correct.

A purchase is an agreement between the buyer and seller, a sort of contract. The price displayed is only an "offer" to sell and they can refuse to sell it to you, so if it's not labelled correctly they can just decline, I believe.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
This the e-mail I just received...

To: Mr hopefully lucky bastard

This email is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order which has been passed to our dispatch department to be processed.

Thank you for ordering with http://www.play.com

Please check the following order information:

Order Reference(s) : 200797067

Item : Samsung Series 6000 46" UE46B6000 / Full HD 1080p / Freeview / LED TV
Price : GBP 134.99
Quantity : 1
Delivery Cost : Free
Payment : Credit Card

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It depends on just how many ppl have found the misprice. If only a couple have found it then they might honour it as its a pretty good advert for the cost of a few tvs.

Absolutely, t'internet is just such a perfect place to keep things quiet - ssshhh !

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Haha, I hope you get it :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bargain. Would've been all over that if I'd seen it in time.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Good ploy to drag people to thier sites!

Decimal points are the bane of the e-retailer’s existence.

All they have to do is jump over by a digit or two and all hell breaks loose.

Here are five “too good to be true” pricing errors, most of them due to truant decimal points.

1. £119 return flights for 2 to NYC: When US company Hoover set a special sales promotion from its South Wales HQ in 1993, they underestimated consumers. They offered 2 free return tickets to NYC or a European destination, for purchases of any Hoover product of over £100. The idea was that the small print should put off consumers applying, which involved various hurdles to get the flights. These include mail-in receipts, application forms to be returned with 14 days, time consuming airport procedures, and limited airport availability. They were wrong. Over 100,000 saavy consumers applied for free tickets after purchasing the cheapest hoover available, which cost £119. After Trading Standard investigations and over 300 complaints received from customers who were refused tickets, the company had to pull out its own money from its £20m first quarter profits to honour over 20,000 extra tickets from BA. What about the hundreds of thousands of brand new in the box Hoovers flooding the market? Well, eBay first launched in 1995, so they could have helped establish the marketplace! Who knows. Lesson: Never underestimate consumers. We’re smarter than you think.

2. Amazon 29p albums: When you’re as enormous as Amazon, you’re bound to misplace a decimal now and again. Six years ago they listed iPaq PDAs for less than £10, there was a virtual stampede, and the firm that made them had to batten down their virtual hatches to undo the mistake. Last month, the online behemoth was selling some albums for 29p each (just shortly after a loophole HUKDers found on free amazon album downloads) The artists involved (Calvin Harris, James Morrison, the Yeah Yeah Yeas, and MGMT) saw sales skyrocket. Amazon pulled the price error the next day.

3. Sony VAIO laptops for £70: In 2002, e-commerce retailer Foris either mismatched prices with merchandise or flung a decimal without aiming first. They offered Sony VAIO laptop computers for £70 and Compaq monitors for £36.31. They had to turn off their checkout system. They did not honour the prices.

4. Nicam Digital TV for £2.99: A decade ago, Argos listed a Nicam digital television for £2.99 instead of £299 (slippery decimal again), then in 2003 they did the same thing with Bush televisions, pricing them at £0.49. A customer tried to order 100 of them, but was not successful. Nobody actually got the items at the mistaken price.

5. 3.1 megapixel camera for £100 only (really!): In 2002, Kodak mispriced its 3.1 megapixel camera for what was then the low, low price of £100. A couple thousand people pounced, and guess what? Kodak honoured the price! Well done, Kodak. At least it came with a whooping 32 MB MMC card…

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Do they have to honour the price given?

Play.com's terms and conditions

24. If an error is discovered in the price of the goods that you have ordered, we will inform you as soon as possible. We shall be under no obligation to fulfil an order for a product which was advertised at an incorrect price, if the item(s) has been charged and not dispatched we will cancel and refund your order.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Still nothing from Play, but I'm still fully expecting the 'whoops' e-mail. Interestingly, I notice that the corrected price is now showing a £50 Play voucher - this could be a precurser to said e-mail.

The delicious irony of it all is that I have literally no idea where I am going to put it should it arrive! I don't think I've fully appreciated just how big 42" is and will only do so when a grumpy delivery driver makes me sign for it!

Still, it would be a nice problem to have to figure out... :thumbsup:

Jul 25, 2006
Still nothing from Play, but I'm still fully expecting the 'whoops' e-mail. Interestingly, I notice that the corrected price is now showing a £50 Play voucher - this could be a precurser to said e-mail.

The delicious irony of it all is that I have literally no idea where I am going to put it should it arrive! I don't think I've fully appreciated just how big 42" is and will only do so when a grumpy delivery driver makes me sign for it!

Still, it would be a nice problem to have to figure out... :thumbsup:

well i for one hope they honour it for you. :clap:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No email but logged on to see:

04/01/2010

Samsung Series 6000 46" UE46B6000 / Full HD 1080p / Freeview / LED TV (Electronics)
£134.99
Cancelled: 04/01/2010

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Play.com's terms and conditions
I'm not sure whose countries laws Play.com come under, but if they charge your card, they have to supply the goods, unless they "run out". By stating that they can refund your card, doesn't override the laws of the land, but I just don't know what the laws are in Play.com land.

Off course if they don't charge your card, they are entitled to just cancel the order, which is what they will do here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here