Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why has RDZ not signed a new contract yet?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
If the majority of fans are perplexed, then they must live in complete isolation from reality. Have they not spotted that virtually no EPL teams actually bought anyone? Ironically, Palace spent biggest. There were only 11 purchases of more than £1m - of which two were ours. FFP has meant virtually no movement - clubs that are close to the limit clearly couldn't buy, but also didn't want to sell (they will make sales pre-30th June if necessary). And, as far as we know, we made serious efforts to purchase Dewsbury-Hall at somewhere north of £20m, and Ibrahim Osman...and to get Bryan Gil on loan.

If De Zerbi is so seriously pissed off, I'm extremely disappointed in him. He knew the BHAFC model when he agreed to become our manager. I love the guy to bits (and part of that is the way he is so emotional, so I obviously can't have it both ways when he shows his frustration). However, he still needs to prove himself. Last season was amazing, and our exploits in the Europa League this season have been truly wonderful. But he's been with us for only 16 months. If he wants to get a seriously big job, then he has to show that he's able to deal with adversity. I think he's doing a pretty decent job of juggling things to cope with the horrendous injuries. But let's hope the sensible heads of Lallana, Dunk and Milner can calm him down and cheer him up!
Brilliant post an my thoughts entirely

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really can’t see any of the elite clubs taking that risk with him. Maybe a Villa, Newcastle or Italian / Spanish club but he’s not done enough for any of our top 4/5
Man U, Chelsea and Spurs have all taken recent punts on managers with little in the bank.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
This is what he said when he announced he was leaving Sassuolo.

Screenshot_20240201-170557~2.png

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tbh, I thought those comments were reasonably positive, against the backdrop of bed-wetting that we've all (mostly) been indulging in over the past 24 hours or so :)
Agree. I think you can be frustrated and disappointed with the transfer window, but then Weir, Bloom & Co. might all be feeling the same - it was a window of very little movement.

Love RDZ because he speaks his mind, but I don’t hang on his every utterance as a slight against the club, more the operational side of football generally. He’s a little bit like one of us being interviewed in that we’d all love some quality signings coming in - but very few of us would ever hold TB and the club at fault for that, we know they would be trying their best to do so.

He’s been working minor miracles on the pitch he really has. His development of what would be fringe and youth players in a season without our huge injury list has been exceptionally - his and his team’s talent is massively underrated if people are posting top clubs aren’t looking at him.

IMHO we are witness to genuine genius at work here, but as with any genius whether creative or in sport it comes with intensity, passion, and a certain amount of volatility. I think that bubbles over from RDZ because Luton happens and some of our draws and he knows he’s only 1 or 2 extra quality bodies in the squad from them not happening - but that will always be the case, if we were 5th and drew or lost, he’d be desperately pushing that we could be top 4 with extra bodies, and so on.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
RDZ has to take some blame. Dahoud was his man, presumably on big wages - experienced MacAllister replacement who he wanted at Sassoulo and has been cast out already. Coupled with a transfer window where not much happened was never going to be 2 or 3 first team ‘ready’ players coming in

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
RDZ has to take some blame. Dahoud was his man, presumably on big wages - experienced MacAllister replacement who he wanted at Sassoulo and has been cast out already. Coupled with a transfer window where not much happened was never going to be 2 or 3 first team ‘ready’ players coming in
Dahoud was a free transfer who hadn’t been able to get good game time at Dortmund for several seasons. RDZ may have said he’d like to work with him but he was hardly a break the bank signing or big risk when we’d just made over £150m profit. No way would he have been on big wages. I’m sure RDZ also wanted some midfield players that you’d have to pay for but they didn’t materialise either.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Dahoud was a free transfer who hadn’t been able to get good game time at Dortmund for several seasons. RDZ may have said he’d like to work with him but he was hardly a break the bank signing or big risk when we’d just made over £150m profit. No way would he have been on big wages.
You reckon a player from Dortmund was on decent money and being a free transfer didn’t command a decent sign on fee ? Very expensive signing for 9 PL appearances or whatever

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This explains what RDZ is thinking, especially towards the end...

Reading that article, de Zerbi expands on saying that he would have liked new players, but it's not his call, it's the clubs. It is stating the obvious, and he has continually praised the quality that our recruitment model has given him. He even let his own recruitment expert go to another club back in Italy after a few months because he thought the model was so good.

I can't see that article being anything other than 'nothing to see here' :shrug:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Dahoud WANTED to leave, he has not been ‘cast out’. Im not sure he was Mac’s replacement, Encisco’s and March’s injuries have really affected us.
I’m frustrated with this window but exactly who were we supposed to sign? KDH could have been decent but not at £40m, but I was actually more frustrated with losing Caicedo on virtually the last day of the window, I genuinely don’t think the club thought any club would be stupid enough to pay that. In terms replacement we weren’t ready because of it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
yes I agree with that.

The market is likely to cool significantly over the next 5 months.
If Forest and Everton get clobbered with points deductions, then clubs sailing close to the wind, will need to offload some players and drive the prices down further.

I can't imagine the recruitment team haven't spoken to RDZ about it, he might not like it, but in the bigger picture it's the best way to go.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Dahoud WANTED to leave, he has not been ‘cast out’. Im not sure he was Mac’s replacement, Encisco’s and March’s injuries have really affected us.
I’m frustrated with this window but exactly who were we supposed to sign? KDH could have been decent but not at £40m, but I was actually more frustrated with losing Caicedo on virtually the last day of the window, I genuinely don’t think the club thought any club would be stupid enough to pay that. In terms replacement we weren’t ready because of it.
Why did he WANT to leave ? The manager pretty much froze him out after that red card. So the squad is further weakened because seemingly the player has been badly managed.

But I agree the DM / Caicedo thing is incompetence from the club - Paul Barber himself says they knew Caicedo would be pushing for a move again shortly after his new contract so they had plenty of time - it does make the ‘shortlist of 3 players for every position’ thing a bit of a myth.

But I’ve said for a while our recruitment has been slowly declining since Ashworth & Winstanley left

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This explains what RDZ is thinking, especially towards the end...

I get confused (I haven't read the Athletic piece)... there's an embargoed section of the press conference, but then Andy Naylor can publish it? How does that work then, do they pay the club 🤔🤔

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here