Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why fewer bums on seats at PL games?

Why are there fewer people in grounds?

• Covid Concerns

Votes: 104 63.0%
  • Covid Restrictions

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Price

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • Out of the habit

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • Other

Votes: 30 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twr93

Aug 2, 2019
London
s

This is a much more sensible approach. Especially as the cost of living goes through the roof, BHA should encourage family and friends to share a ST.

Agreed. Can't see the real logic behind preventing this, now that covid worries are fading. My logic would be that as season tickets have already been paid for (i.e. the club has already received the cash injection) it would surely be greater benefit to the club for these seats to be filled, whether the person filling them is the name on the ticket or family/friend/co-worker etc. More bums on seats surely equates to more concessions sold, more footfall for the club shop and greater atmosphere generated, which in turn encourages non season ticket holders to come again?!

Then again I'm not a businessman nor am I employed to run a football club- so what do I know? ???

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It was also implied that flasks are banned due to the ISIS terrorist threat.:ffsparr:

Don't forget that other Weapon of Mass Murder, one that directly has contributed to untold deaths, maimings and injuries at the football ground. Yes I'm speaking of the motorbike crash helmet.

Of course it has nothing to do with the £5 the club charge for looking after it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do you know for sure that they put them on the exchange? Loads don't bother, as on many occasions this season it has been a fruitless thing to do.

My Liverpool ticket sold within an hour of me putting it on.

EDIT: Stop Press - my Spurs ticket has now sold too. :D

I put my son’s ticket on the Exchange on Friday morning, it was bought by someone on Saturday morning.

The bloke who bought it, told me he was surprised when he looked on Saturday that so many seats were still available.

So a mixed picture.

Liverpool at the Amex is normally a complete sell out as both a pretendance and attendance.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm sure that I read that Manchester United are encouraging fans to share their tickets with friends and family if they can't go. Presumably to fill the stand and sell more overpriced tat.

They do - and they “strongly advise” that f+f are united members (£20-£60) - and they say they do spot checks to make sure.

https://tickets.manutd.com/

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm pretty sure that it has been made very clear that this wouldn't be tolerated, to be fair.

Has it? Coz nothing has been done about it in terms of actually clamping down on the practice of unofficial sharing as can be seen by the number of people on this thread that have worked out that QR codes can be screen shot, or that you can email the pdf of the print-at-home ticket to anyone you want and not necessarily the person you're officially sharing with. If anything the new electronic ticket system makes it far easier to share, officially or unofficially, as you don't have to hand over a physical card to anyone.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I know a few people that have been put off by all the covid and id checks; thar on top of awful travel doesnt help. I seriously think the over reliance of train travel is a factor.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I know a few people that have been put off by all the covid and id checks; thar on top of awful travel doesnt help. I seriously think the over reliance of train travel is a factor.

Case in point: Here are the currently timetabled trains for tonight:

UselessSouthern.PNG

In effect a Sunday service.

Pre-covid the standard timetable Monday to Saturday was 6 trains per hour all day. Tonight it looks like we could have half that. Even if they are lengthened there will be horrendous queues at Brighton.

Brighton & Hove Buses have stopped running the 25 from Palmeira Square too so no direct bus option for me now either.

It's just so exhausting having to plan my journey every week according to whatever random timetable Southern have elected to run. It seems to be different every match.

No wonder so many can't be bothered with evening games. Who can blame people for not bothering when getting to the ground is such a lottery.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I believe you can, as the two who sit next to me tried taking photos of one another's tickets to see if it would work. (Not that I would)
I believe you can also have a single friend who 'shares' the ticket, assign it to them and then send the print at home e-mail to whoever you want. (Again, not that I would).

My son couldn`t go to a game and we put it on ticket exchange and I immediately bought it back to take a non member friend....lost about £20 on transaction but prob the only legal way you can take anyone as no name needed on new ticket. Can`t do it for less popular games as ticket exchange not open !!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Case in point: Here are the currently timetabled trains for tonight:

View attachment 146072

In effect a Sunday service.

Pre-covid the standard timetable Monday to Saturday was 6 trains per hour all day. Tonight it looks like we could have half that. Even if they are lengthened there will be horrendous queues at Brighton.

Brighton & Hove Buses have stopped running the 25 from Palmeira Square too so no direct bus option for me now either.

It's just so exhausting having to plan my journey every week according to whatever random timetable Southern have elected to run. It seems to be different every match.

No wonder so many can't be bothered with evening games. Who can blame people for not bothering when getting to the ground is such a lottery.

Hopefully the timetable will be updated with more trains later today, but currently showing a train back from Falmer to Brighton at 21:20 and the next one at 21:50. That's appalling :facepalm:

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Hopefully the timetable will be updated with more trains later today, but currently showing a train back from Falmer to Brighton at 21:20 and the next one at 21:50. That's appalling :facepalm:

That would be the hope, but it's pretty late in the day. It's starting to look like this will be unfortunately be it.

The clubs travel info wasn't exactly encouraging:
"Trains: For supporters travelling by rail, please check Southern Rail’s website prior to travelling."

Normally it's something along the lines of "Southern will be running an enhanced service."

Half hour gaps between trains are not ideal to put it mildly.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Breaking news. 2 extra trains pre-match and 2 extra trains post match just added to the timetable:

SlightlyLessUselessSouthern.PNG

An improvement thankfully, but still well short of the service we had in 2019.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here