Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Don't You Support England?

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I think it's called realism,the constant grind and the wearing down effect of others woes,and i am susceptible to it,to falling down to others levels,but that is not me,i am better than that,and can really only function by being high on life-

Don't get me wrong i am not the life and soul of the party or the bees knees,but i was once,i have done all the parties,the high life and all the associated bull that goes with it,but these days i like to chill out and i can only really function when i try-

I am happy in my own company and do not require entertaining per sue,but i think to many people are unhappy trying to be happy,when they should just be happy..

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
Because it is always a big anti climax. Because, prior to a big tournament the media hype them up, and then knock them down, because car flags are naff, because we can't take penalites,.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
England are the international equivalent of Newcastle. Lots of passion from the fans, who in the main do us proud with the noise and enthusiasm, but on the pitch it is expectations that exceed ability, and living on past memories deluding ourselves that we have a right to be amongst the fancied teams. (When was the last time we were actually good? Euro 96 was 30 minutes of glory against the Netherlands, Germany 5-1 was amazing, and Italia 90 was overegged to a ridiculous degree, we beat no one of any pedigree).

I want England to do well, but then I want to do things to Konnie Huq involving custard and a bath, neither are likely to materialise in my lifetime.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
On the flipside I frigging hate English self-loathing. Bleeding heart liberals who don't have the wit to embrace just how magnificent it is to be English.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I want England to do well, but then I want to do things to Konnie Huq involving custard and a bath, neither are likely to materialise in my lifetime.

the wanting has already materialised, and that's what support is all about.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'll always support England and want them to do well but they (players, managers, FA) make it really hard.

Some say there is an impression of club before country amongst players. They say the Premier League is everything and England duty is seen as a sideline and something else to do. But then a tournament arrives of course and everyone becomes excited, only to be let down by our penalty taking.

We haven't moved on since the 90's, all the top nations have. Our League has moved on but not the national team it seems. We are predictable in our play and management and whole outlook. A lot if mentioned about the fact that we are technically inferior - I disagree, we just don't take a risk - as a previous poster mentioned, building a team needs risks. Germany did and it nearly worked out. They will be one of the strong favourites because their confidence in younger players a few years ago has built a team ethic.

I think it comes down to expectations. We expect England to qualify. On paper yes, but who is confident at the moment? We expect England to get through the group phase at a major tournament. We shouldn't. It isn't our right. I would hope we would get through but I can't see us getting past the 2nd round at a major tournament. Getting to Brazil would be a realistic achievement given the current form. I don't buy the players not caring attitude though, I think they are over played and over cautious about injury.

I would love to get to Brazil and choose a young side who can be free from criticism and expectation, we would probably do better. It won't happen, it wouldn't get support or understanding - media would vilify the players and manager, armchair supporters would be fuming if we didn't do well and the FA would sack whoever was in charge.

The main issue is that ITV show the England games. I need say no more.

Overwhelmingly THIS. Thank you for saving me the trouble of typing something similar!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
On the flipside I frigging hate English self-loathing. Bleeding heart liberals who don't have the wit to embrace just how magnificent it is to be English.

I find national pride a little difficult to deal with. I love England and our nuances.

We roll cheese down a steep bank and ignore the legal advice. We gurn. We eat nettles. We race lawn mowers. We throw peas.

However, I think we have a lot of faults.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I find national pride a little difficult to deal with. I love England and our nuances.

We roll cheese down a steep bank and ignore the legal advice. We gurn. We eat nettles. We race lawn mowers. We throw peas.

However, I think we have a lot of faults.

True, but so has every foreigner. You talk about us as if we're all twee but we have world-beaters, visionaries and risk-takers in almost every field of human endeavour. Our influence stretches across every nation and every culture. The flip-side might be that we are chaotic, chippy, aggressive but without that there wouldn't be the humour or the self-deprecation, you wouldn't have the arts, we'd be like the Swiss. Our sense of natural justice isn't just a cliche. Extremist politics will never go mainstream here because it's not our way.

Last edited:

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I always attempt to watch England games on the box but most of them seem to be tedious. It would be nice if we had a manager who had the bottle to not put players in the squad who do not give 100% and have too bigger egos.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
tedious, boring, waste of time England footie.
Always disappoint, over-paid and un-interested.

Anyone who pays money to see those clowns is a fool.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
True, but so has every foreigner. You talk about us as if we're all twee but we have world-beaters, visionaries and risk-takers in almost every field of human endeavour. Our influence stretches across every nation and every culture. The flip-side might be that we are chaotic, chippy, aggressive but without that there wouldn't be the humour or the self-deprecation, you wouldn't have the arts, we'd be like the Swiss. Our sense of natural justice isn't just a cliche. Extremist politics will never go mainstream here because it's not our way.

I'd like to jump on board with your declaration. I didn't intend to do us a disservice and only mention the bumpkin fun, for which I apologise.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I will always support England in a competitive match but friendlies seem pretty pointless at present so I generally don't watch them. Also the rise of player's wages and profiles have created certain egos who some people (including myself) find it difficult to support on an individual level.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Interesting thread. Always support England in the big tournaments, but the players have so often let us down and, let's face it, a lot of them are overpaid, obnoxious pricks. And friendlies are nearly always huge bore-fests - England v Ireland the other night, really couldn't care who won.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why should I? I have lots of passion for the things that excite me. Those over-paid useless idiots don't.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's the FA's team, not ours. When they have John Terry near it and they recruit Hodgson just to be quiet rather than win matches they're not my team. I'll take a slight interest in tournaments but that's about it. I didn't even know about the Ireland match until I flicked it on by mistake.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The disgraceful treatment by the FA of Big JT.

Funny, the disgrace that is Big JT was one of my turn offs for England. But in general, the fact that even second division players now would rather go to the dentist than represent England shows that many of the players only want to be in the team when it suits them or if it raises their profile for advertisers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here