Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Don't You Support England?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think it's embarrassing to claim that you don't support England. If they got to the final of a major tournament, the people who "don't care" would jump straight on the bandwagon. Although, I agree that friendlies are largely pointless (but I still watch them!).

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
I lost my England mojo a few years back. It was seeing players who really didn't look like it mattered to them. Rooney's comments after that game in S Africa sealed the deal.

And just to say - I'm deeply patriotic. I have no doubt whatsoever that being English is just about the greatest thing.

I can agree with this. They really pissed the country off in 2010 that's not say it was right before then. Most of the friendlies are pointless & that combined with a half arsed Wembley crowd it's little wonder there's no passion. I think it'd definetley help to play any friendlies at ground all round the country. I'm sure we could at least bring some passion & atmosphere back. This ain't gonna happen though.

As for me I still get behind England & have little time for cheap criticism every time we don't white wash a team.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I think it's embarrassing to claim that you don't support England. If they got to the final of a major tournament, the people who "don't care" would jump straight on the bandwagon. Although, I agree that friendlies are largely pointless (but I still watch them!).
:thumbsup:

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
I'll always support England and want them to do well but they (players, managers, FA) make it really hard.

Some say there is an impression of club before country amongst players. They say the Premier League is everything and England duty is seen as a sideline and something else to do. But then a tournament arrives of course and everyone becomes excited, only to be let down by our penalty taking.

We haven't moved on since the 90's, all the top nations have. Our League has moved on but not the national team it seems. We are predictable in our play and management and whole outlook. A lot if mentioned about the fact that we are technically inferior - I disagree, we just don't take a risk - as a previous poster mentioned, building a team needs risks. Germany did and it nearly worked out. They will be one of the strong favourites because their confidence in younger players a few years ago has built a team ethic.

I think it comes down to expectations. We expect England to qualify. On paper yes, but who is confident at the moment? We expect England to get through the group phase at a major tournament. We shouldn't. It isn't our right. I would hope we would get through but I can't see us getting past the 2nd round at a major tournament. Getting to Brazil would be a realistic achievement given the current form. I don't buy the players not caring attitude though, I think they are over played and over cautious about injury.

I would love to get to Brazil and choose a young side who can be free from criticism and expectation, we would probably do better. It won't happen, it wouldn't get support or understanding - media would vilify the players and manager, armchair supporters would be fuming if we didn't do well and the FA would sack whoever was in charge.

The main issue is that ITV show the England games. I need say no more.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
England are possibly the most boring team I've ever watched.
I'd rather watch Come Dine With Me or scratch nails on a chalk board for 90 minutes.

As soon as they start releasing the 'older' players and bringing in more youth players, I'll be interested.

What if the youth aren't good enough? Then they get destroyed by an impatient crowd/media. Can often spell end of a not so head strong youngster. Fair enough if you find England boring but not sure if throwing in a load of inexperience is the way forward

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Probably because this country is full of pessimists.

Whoever has the grimmest outlook on life is 'Cool', apparently.

This 'know-it-all' self-made complex leads them down a spiral of depression which they blame on everything but themselves...government, football, people who look different. Sad really.

I think it's called realism,the constant grind and the wearing down effect of others woes,and i am susceptible to it,to falling down to others levels,but that is not me,i am better than that,and can really only function by being high on life-

Don't get me wrong i am not the life and soul of the party or the bees knees,but i was once,i have done all the parties,the high life and all the associated bull that goes with it,but these days i like to chill out and i can only really function when i try-

I am happy in my own company and do not require entertaining per sue,but i think to many people are unhappy trying to be happy,when they should just be happy..

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'll always support England and want them to do well but they (players, managers, FA) make it really hard.

Some say there is an impression of club before country amongst players. They say the Premier League is everything and England duty is seen as a sideline and something else to do. But then a tournament arrives of course and everyone becomes excited, only to be let down by our penalty taking.

We haven't moved on since the 90's, all the top nations have. Our League has moved on but not the national team it seems. We are predictable in our play and management and whole outlook. A lot if mentioned about the fact that we are technically inferior - I disagree, we just don't take a risk - as a previous poster mentioned, building a team needs risks. Germany did and it nearly worked out. They will be one of the strong favourites because their confidence in younger players a few years ago has built a team ethic.

I think it comes down to expectations. We expect England to qualify. On paper yes, but who is confident at the moment? We expect England to get through the group phase at a major tournament. We shouldn't. It isn't our right. I would hope we would get through but I can't see us getting past the 2nd round at a major tournament. Getting to Brazil would be a realistic achievement given the current form. I don't buy the players not caring attitude though, I think they are over played and over cautious about injury.

I would love to get to Brazil and choose a young side who can be free from criticism and expectation, we would probably do better. It won't happen, it wouldn't get support or understanding - media would vilify the players and manager, armchair supporters would be fuming if we didn't do well and the FA would sack whoever was in charge.

The main issue is that ITV show the England games. I need say no more.
Great post. It is fairly depressing to see us relying on players on the way out in a couple of years like Lampard. Having said that, we won't have much choice unless we improve our academies in this country as the 'younger generation' simply aren't quite up to standard imo at the moment.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I can't think of anything English to be proud of TBH and therefore I coulsnt give a QQQQ about "national pride", as well as the whole "superstar" circus that goes with the England Team its like the team is picked from a popularity poll in The Sun newspaper

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I want England to do well, but watching them is always, but always, excruciating. The players never play with the same commitment they show for their clubs and the tactics seem to be non-existent. It's just incredibly frustrating.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The players, the people who are supposed to be representing the country, and us, play like they don't care.
Because it is just a game, not a measure of patriotism.
Because of the tribal nature of football leading to difficulty looking beyond the clubs the players play for when it is so often a focus of the build up and commentary of a game, and these players seem to care so much more for the clubs than the country
Because often times the players who deserve to be picked aren't, wi some being picked because of their name or who they play for.
Because international football has been treated as second class since the premier league came along and that takes the shine off it, much like with the league cup and FA cup.
Because deep down people do support England, but much like with dark humour in trying times, making light of England during the bad years (be that results, quality of games, behaviour of the players or whatever) is how they cope.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
England football games - will watch but not fussed, especially in a friendly

England rugby games - brilliant, players are 100% passionate, it is all about team work and pride and the country

Although I exclude the last game of the 2013 Six Nations, that was painful, my (Welsh) wife was sat quietly on the sofa smiling to herself as I curled up into a ball of humiliation (but the passion was there, if it happened in football? Would I be as bothered? Not sure)

I would record and watch the England rugby but not an England football friendly.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I support England I just really hate the meaningless friendlies and the way we keep playing players who have achieved absolutely nothing for this country.

Camicus

The reason I no longer support England :-
South Africa 2010
Wayne Rooney
Rio F

In a nut shell they should be as passionate about England as I am and they are not they seem to treat the England fans with complete and utter contempt

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Having said that, we won't have much choice unless we improve our academies in this country as the 'younger generation' simply aren't quite up to standard imo at the moment.

Spot on.

Grass roots need to be really good.

But would the Premier League allow a change to aid the national team? I doubt it.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
but are friendlies meaningless?

you can't experiment with a team when your trying to qualify for a tournament

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

It might be a long wait to prove your claim!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Now that the players don't give a **** about England it's hard to muster up much interest yourself. I do feel bad about not supporting England very much (didn't even know we were playing Brazil), but I can't fake interest. The first tournament I remember was Euro 1996, when it seemed like England actually meant something, since then it's become less and less of a deal. All the players come across as pricks. I would be embarrassed to see Terry lifting a trophy. It's just generally a miserable little set up, and much as it would be nice to have a country team to support, this one is inspiring nothing in me. Them doing well in a major tournament would be the catalyst the whole thing needs.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
What if the youth aren't good enough? Then they get destroyed by an impatient crowd/media. Can often spell end of a not so head strong youngster. Fair enough if you find England boring but not sure if throwing in a load of inexperience is the way forward

I think throwing in a load of inexperienced players is exactly what our International team needs. A fresh start and some keen/eager players who might not be on £100,000 p/w.

England Vs ROI

Starting XI:

Hart - 26
Johnson - 28
Cole - 32
Cahill - 27
Jagielka - 30
Carrick - 31
Walcott - 24
Lampard - 34
Oxlade-Chamberlain - 19
Sturridge - 23
Rooney - 27

Subs:

Foster - 25
Jones - 21
Baines - 28
Milner - 27
Defoe - 30

- - Total average age = 27

27 obviously isn't 'old' for International football player, but what better chance to give some of the younger players a chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here