Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why dont they let it lie ?- press conference boo reference

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Ive just listened to this afternoons press conference, and yet again (as last week) the one occasion when a very small number of fans booed was brought up .Its even mentioned in commentary on matches quite frequently,

Nearly every match I watch with any team on a bad run has elements, and sometimes a lot, of the crowd booing and shouting for the managers head, or giving players grief. Palace, Man Utd spring to mind especially, but Ive heard it at almost every ground at some point.

So, my question is, why do local and national journalists keep bringing this up for Brighton when it happened once, after a long period of poor home results but is basically ignored at other clubs, where the prevalence and noticibabity of said booing is and remains so much greater, than the one time a few disgruntled fans booed at the Amex?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Ive just listened to this afternoons press conference, and yet again (as last week) the one occasion when a very small number of fans booed was brought up .Its even mentioned in commentary on matches quite frequently,

Nearly every match I watch with any team on a bad run has elements, and sometimes a lot, of the crowd booing and shouting for the managers head, or giving players grief. Palace, Man Utd spring to mind especially, but Ive heard it at almost every ground at some point.

So, my question is, why do local and national journalists keep bringing this up for Brighton when it happened once, after a long period of poor home results but is basically ignored at other clubs, where the prevalence and noticibabity of said booing is and remains so much greater, than the one time a few disgruntled fans booed at the Amex?

Because we have a well run club and a manager from which nothing controversial ever emanates. In short, we are boring and for journalists that is not good news.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It serves as reminder to Potter that is better to not be agitated and comment much about it, if and when it happens again, in this job or the next.

Moyes has commented that booing after their loss to us has dissuaded a couple of transfer targets from signing, sorry singing, for them.

el punal

What was said about the Wolves fans back in 2012 at the Amex? I seem to remember one of the Wolves’ player’s shirt being thrown back at him in disgust from their fans because of their team’s dire performance. That was bosting that was.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Because weirdly, despite the story of the club past and present, that's not enough of a narrative for the press who feel the need that every club outside the top 6 has to have something unique. Leeds will always be the "returning giants", Forest will forever have the shadow of Clough, Brentford have the "plucky challengers" story sewn up, Leicester have the "fans who love their owner", Bournemouth have the club playing above their weight, Fulham have the historic ground, Villa and Everton are the story of their managers parallel careers a bit like Romeo and Juliet, Newcastle are now "the richest club in the world" having had the "best fans and worst chairman" for so long, West Ham it's all about their stadium, Southampton are...hmm...kind of anonymous actually so maybe I've just proved myself wrong!...you'd think we'd have enough, but maybe it's too much of a mouthful to actually describe the story, so instead it's "fans who turned on the manager everyone else knew would come good". Thankfully we've got a manager who knows he is being played to try and get a reaction and doesn't rise to it. It's like Norwich have the Delia thing forever more - one night didn't define their past or their future, but the press need something to make an identify out of.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What was said about the Wolves fans back in 2012 at the Amex? I seem to remember one of the Wolves’ player’s shirt being thrown back at him in disgust from their fans because of their team’s dire performance. That was bosting that was.

Jamie O'Hara. That was hilarious. Wolves were absolutely dire that day

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Jamie O'Hara. That was hilarious. Wolves were absolutely dire that day

Wasn’t him - he would’ve gone nowhere near the fans that day! It was Roger Johnson.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Because we support little old Brighton, we should know our place and be grateful in making up the premier league numbers.

We don’t have the history of Villa, Everton or Leeds that allows us the right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Ohara wasn’t it?

“You’ve let your fans down, you stupid ********, you’ve let your fans down”

“50k, your having a laugh”

Edit - just remembered he was subbed / stormed off, so maybe not him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Agreed. It is the most astonishingly overblown story considering the tiny amount of fans that booed. Unfortunately, GP didn't play it down or provide the context that the vast majority were well onside with what he was trying to do - which has rather backfired. The booing certainly must have been a lot louder around the press box than in the WSU as it was barely noticeable at the time. Just seemed like a few of our more fickle 'supporters' having a bit of a grumble before disappearing off, probably never to be seen at the Amex again.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Because weirdly, despite the story of the club past and present, that's not enough of a narrative for the press who feel the need that every club outside the top 6 has to have something unique. Leeds will always be the "returning giants", Forest will forever have the shadow of Clough, Brentford have the "plucky challengers" story sewn up, Leicester have the "fans who love their owner", Bournemouth have the club playing above their weight, Fulham have the historic ground, Villa and Everton are the story of their managers parallel careers a bit like Romeo and Juliet, Newcastle are now "the richest club in the world" having had the "best fans and worst chairman" for so long, West Ham it's all about their stadium, Southampton are...hmm...kind of anonymous actually so maybe I've just proved myself wrong!...you'd think we'd have enough, but maybe it's too much of a mouthful to actually describe the story, so instead it's "fans who turned on the manager everyone else knew would come good". Thankfully we've got a manager who knows he is being played to try and get a reaction and doesn't rise to it. It's like Norwich have the Delia thing forever more - one night didn't define their past or their future, but the press need something to make an identify out of.

If I ever became chairman. I would do EXACTLY what Delia did :thumbsup:

Yet another reason that it's just as well we have TB :blush:

Agreed. It is the most astonishingly overblown story considering the tiny amount of fans that booed. Unfortunately, GP didn't play it down or provide the context that the vast majority were well onside with what he was trying to do - which has rather backfired. The booing certainly must have been a lot louder around the press box than in the WSU as it was barely noticeable at the time. Just seemed like a few of our more fickle 'supporters' having a bit of a grumble before disappearing off, probably never to be seen at the Amex again.

I do wonder how many of them were booing the ref/linesmen at the time, Remember Sieg Heil at the Goldstone anyone :facepalm:

These journalists have to make a living somehow :lolol:

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
1% or less of the home crowd boo and the lazy journalists still can't think of any new angles to bring up.

Win at Fulham and then beat both Leicester and Bournemouth, and all the questions will be about can Brighton win the league like Leicester did.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

Southampton's where the big ships Dock.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
[MENTION=35904]A1X[/MENTION] spent like two years pushing the agenda that GP is always attacking the Brighton fans based on a comment he made about "some fans expect us to win every game"... don't see why media would be less obsessive or hungry for drama and conflict.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I seem to remember a lot of the country were outraged by the sacking of Hughton and Brighton FC was not popular at the time.

It seems to make perfect sense now.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I seem to remember a lot of the country were outraged by the sacking of Hughton and Brighton FC was not popular at the time.

It seems to make perfect sense now.

That was a tough decision, but if you want to get on ???

Still very grateful for what CH did for us and one of the reasons we are where we are :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here