Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does everyone hate the Argus?

ILOVEBHA

Jul 27, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
They only published the names that we all wanted to know and i mean 100%of us wanted the names even if you pretend you didn`t want to know.
They are a newspaper what did you want them to do?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I still buy the Argus-

Feb 14, 2010
Because andy Naylor has proved to be wrong on so many things, that those of us who understand the Albion knew would be the the case. For example:-

1. Long ball football - we knew the way to get out of the third division (sorry dic 1 as it is now) was to pass the ball. He just kept banging on about Mark M as he wanted to stir things up.
2. Crowds - those of us whose family attended the Albion going back over the years will have known albion have always got big crowds compared to the division they are in. The Albion in the 50s/60s got 25000 - 36000 in div 3 south when the likes of reading would get around 6,000 and Saints would be lucky to get over 15000.
3. Palace - He bangs on about not understanding the rival;ry because it is a press cliche. He ignores Liverpool/Man U, Leeds/man U ect ect ect. Geography is irrelevant to a rivalry. Leaving that aside, he has had long enough to learn to understand it.
4. He appears to take a position to stir things and is now the argus is now the paper that cried wolf one too many time. As such people dont listen to then anymore
5. The argus used to be a Brighton institution and people would like it to regain its credibility.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I think there has been a massive overreaction by some people on here. I don't mind admitting that the first thing I did when I heard about the arrests was try to find out who they were.

I don't agree with how The Argus displayed it on the front page yesterday but they are out there to sell papers and it was going to be out there in the public domain anyway given that it was of huge interest down here and there was nothing illegal in issuing the names.

Today's follow-up story hopefully has righted a few wrongs in some people's eyes. The Argus get to sell more papers too as they are in a win-win situation on this.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I think this Argus-bashing, talks of boycotting it because they reported the facts of a local news story is pathetic, frankly. I didn't hear people calling for a boycott of the nationals who named David Norris and Gary Dobson as the men accused of murdering Stephen Lawrence, or a huge outcry when Lee Barnard was arrested for allegedly glassing someone. But seemingly some people think BHAFC deserves some kind of special protection.

I see Tommy Elphick's exoneration is on the front page today, but people are still going on about how evil the Argus is. Wake up, people, it's a newspaper, it's reporting the NEWS!

Also regarding the point above about passing football - how come there are so many people that moan when we do it, then?

Feb 14, 2010
I think this Argus-bashing, talks of boycotting it because they reported the facts of a local news story is pathetic, frankly. I didn't hear people calling for a boycott of the nationals who named David Norris and Gary Dobson as the men accused of murdering Stephen Lawrence, or a huge outcry when Lee Barnard was arrested for allegedly glassing someone. But seemingly some people think BHAFC deserves some kind of special protection.

I see Tommy Elphick's exoneration is on the front page today, but people are still going on about how evil the Argus is. Wake up, people, it's a newspaper, it's reporting the NEWS!

Also regarding the point above about passing football - how come there are so many people that moan when we do it, then?

There are a few people that moan in a 20K crowd. A football journalist should know better and he was stirring the Mark M Pot. Dont also forget that Naylor was also wrong on:-

1. Crowds - those of us who knew the club are not surprised. Naylor, we told you so.
2. Palace - pathetic, and wrong cliche journalism from him. If he really doesnt understand it then do what intelligent people do, and learn.
3. Long ball football - Again we told Naylor so.

Credibility when lost, is hard to get back and most fans can and do say to Naylor "I told you so" on many many issues.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Used to be a good local paper and the Saturday evening edition with all the Sussex football results and reports was a real treat. Since its been swallowed up by whoever now owns it and is essentially based in Southampton (any clue here to their editorial approach to all things Albion related?!) it has changed beyond recognition for the worse.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Is the answer: because it has become an increasingly unscrupulous, poorly researched piece of shit - that seemingly aspires to become some bloated regional equivalent of the 'Red Tops' through appealing to the lowest common denominator?

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Not just the way they named and shamed the way they did on friday (innocent until proven guilty!) But the fact that of late their sloppy journalism is becoming more conspicuous. The only reliable bit is the celebration/bereathement (?) Pages, I'm pained to say. I still buy it to get a vague idea of what goes on in Sussex though.

Big Cuddly Pandas.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Because they get on their high horse re the 'palace pier' while 'brighton evening argus' worked for a century & now it's diluted, unfocused & failing

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Funny they still not open for reply's on there football stories on the theargus.co.uk

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sun/NewsoftheWorld readers will support the morality of the gutter press as being in the public interest
Grauniad and Telegraph readers will assume a moral high ground, also as being in the public interest
Mail readers will sit on the fence and shout "foul" at both for threatening society as we know it.

The Argus yesterday was very much gutter press - People choose where they want to be on that

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
QUOTE=itszamora
"I think this Argus-bashing, talks of boycotting it because they reported the facts of a local news story is pathetic, frankly. I didn't hear people calling for a boycott of the nationals who named David Norris and Gary Dobson as the men accused of murdering Stephen Lawrence, or a huge outcry when Lee Barnard was arrested for allegedly glassing someone. But seemingly some people think BHAFC deserves some kind of special protection.

I see Tommy Elphick's exoneration is on the front page today, but people are still going on about how evil the Argus is. Wake up, people, it's a newspaper, it's reporting the NEWS!"

Firstly you see some peoples views as being "pathetic" but there are alot of angry people here with their own informed view of the Argus.
Secondly speaking only for myself the reason I'm so disappointed with the Argus is this; within an increasingly atomised society the Argus used to be great way to hear about and have a sense of the larger community, to which BHA is a massive part. But in resent years the paper feels as though its distance itself choosing only to follow sensationalism. Maybe to increase or more lightly, trying to maintain an already falling circulation.
The headline in yesterdays edition being the latest one.
If I'm honest yesterday i said i would be boycotting the paper but if the truth be told i stopped reading it years ago.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Funny they still not open for reply's on there football stories on the theargus.co.uk

That's one thing the Arsegas have got right, IMO.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
No need to plaster the stadium picture and club crest all over the front page, what has BHAFC got to do with what did or didnt happen last July?

Why should the club crest which is associated with so many positive things like AITC be associated with this?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Is the answer: because it has become an increasingly unscrupulous, poorly researched piece of shit - that seemingly aspires to become some bloated regional equivalent of the 'Red Tops' through appealing to the lowest common denominator?
Sums it up nicely for me. It's about a lot more than yesterday's pathetic front page. They've become grubbier and more spiteful at an alarming rate in recent years :albion2:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I have to say that in this instance I am thoroughly against the manner in which they published the story. I have no issue with their right to publish but their front page was only a photoshopped image of Gus shaking hands with the devil away from completely trashing the football club.

As far as BHAFC are concerned, was a club official there validating the offence as a club sponsored event? No. The logos and the photos of the Amex are a disgrace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here