Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people keep dogs as pets?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
View attachment 64336
Because my dog is my best mate now my kids have grown up
We go on massive 10 mile walks through the countryside, while I listen to 5hours of tunes on iPhone
He never moans
He never asks why
He goes mental when I get in from work,jumping all over me knocking me to the ground
If I'm off work ill he'll sit by my side 24/7 pestering me but keeping me company
I can go to the pub on my Own but not feel lonely as I've got him by my side and most people adore him so it's a conversation breaker and end up meeting lots of new people
Love my dog, so some of that might answer the question to why people keep dogs

Sorry, I keep coming back to this thread to read this post and look at the pictures. Brilliant. You sir are now officially my favourite person on NSC.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My beloved Dog it still badly missed 15 months on. The bond we had was incredible

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You have nailed it there, Nibble

He's got some stick for that comment but we know exactly where he's coming from. Have you thought about getting another dog? It won't be a replacement for Harry obviously but it is possible to love more than one.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He's got some stick for that comment but we know exactly where he's coming from. Have you thought about getting another dog? It won't be a replacement for Harry obviously but it is possible to love more than one.

Harry is Irreplaceable, thanks Brovion

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Harry is Irreplaceable, thanks Brovion

Not a replacement, think of it as providing board and lodgings for a new friend.

We've just taken delivery of a puppy, and whilst they are hard work, the rewards and energy they give are worth the investment, both emotionally and financially.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Ok then Einstein, how do you stop a cat from using something as a scratching post.
He doesn't seem to want to listen to reason.

Einstein here!
you can buy scratching post and patches to go just about anywhere now .................and put some catmint on them
the only thing our cats(3) scratch is the scratching post they have used for years

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Not a replacement, think of it as providing board and lodgings for a new friend.

We've just taken delivery of a puppy, and whilst they are hard work, the rewards and energy they give are worth the investment, both emotionally and financially.

thats good news:thumbsup:

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
My dog is a 14 year old Jack Russell who I named Bobby Zamora 14 years ago . He's still in good shape , although he's a bit slower than he used to be and a little prone to injury as well. However he knows where his food bowl is , can direct an excellent bark at encroaching cats and can smell a chip on the seafront from Brighton station . He is much loved and well known in central Brighton ! So get a dog if you need a friend !

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
My dog is a 14 year old Jack Russell who I named Bobby Zamora 14 years ago . He's still in good shape , although he's a bit slower than he used to be and a little prone to injury as well. However he knows where his food bowl is , can direct an excellent bark at encroaching cats and can smell a chip on the seafront from Brighton station . He is much loved and well known in central Brighton ! So get a dog if you need a friend !

our Paddy (she was a girl) Jack Russel could hear a kit-kat being opened across the level on a very windy night, she barked very loudly at cats but loved Fred the storm cat(adopted after the great storm in 1984) of all dogs we love Jacks.
BZ sounds like a character, they can be almost human.
although on a diet Paddy would still make finds and could be seen sucking the remains of a mars bar off the pavement on Union Road

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I got through more than 50 years on this earth without a dog in the family - partly because I'm allergic to most.

Then, after some allergy experiments a Border Terrier puppy entered the family last May - and I can honestly say that I can't imagine life without her now.

Laila at Gate - small.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yesterday I saw a golden retriever playing joyfully in the water, egged on by a little boy. When my dog joined in the fun, the boy laughed solidly for about 10 minutes at the sheer pleasure of watching the dogs enjoy themselves. The mother explained that he son was autistic and it had been impossible to get him to come out but now he'd spend hours outside, playing with dogs and enjoying their company, If you'd seen the joy on that little boy's face, you'd never question why people get dogs

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Einstein here!
you can buy scratching post and patches to go just about anywhere now .................and put some catmint on them
the only thing our cats(3) scratch is the scratching post they have used for years

We got 3 of those and it makes no difference, he just heads straight for the sofa and ignores them.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
We got 3 of those and it makes no difference, he just heads straight for the sofa and ignores them.

put some catmint on them and try again
it is difficult once they have done the dirty deed
and you have said the word HE even more difficult with males as they love to mark their territory

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
There's a malicious dog poisoner in Brighton and Hove at the moment - 5 dogs have died in the last month with poisoned food being left in parks all over town .

Is it you Greg ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yesterday I saw a golden retriever playing joyfully in the water, egged on by a little boy. When my dog joined in the fun, the boy laughed solidly for about 10 minutes at the sheer pleasure of watching the dogs enjoy themselves. The mother explained that he son was autistic and it had been impossible to get him to come out but now he'd spend hours outside, playing with dogs and enjoying their company, If you'd seen the joy on that little boy's face, you'd never question why people get dogs

That has made my Day, Gwylan. My beloved Harry was a Golden Retriever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here