Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people keep dogs as pets?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
image.jpg
Because my dog is my best mate now my kids have grown up
We go on massive 10 mile walks through the countryside, while I listen to 5hours of tunes on iPhone
He never moans
He never asks why
He goes mental when I get in from work,jumping all over me knocking me to the ground
If I'm off work ill he'll sit by my side 24/7 pestering me but keeping me company
I can go to the pub on my Own but not feel lonely as I've got him by my side and most people adore him so it's a conversation breaker and end up meeting lots of new people
Love my dog, so some of that might answer the question to why people keep dogs

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Cat lovers should have a session in the ducking stool, witches the lot of 'em.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
  1. They smell. You can easily tell a doggy house.
  2. They are noisy
  3. They eat poo.
  4. They kill/main people/other animals.including children and babies
  5. Some m*sturbate shamelessly in public
  6. They rip up and destroy possesions and furniture

They do everything bad that cats don't do.
Cats > dogs. :D:D

My daughter's cat has written off my $3000 leather sofa, by using it as a scratching surface.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's an interesting question whether we should keep pets at all. Is it ethical to breed and control animals to boost our own self-image (like those meatheads with pitbulls), to counteract our loneliness (like old women with cats) or to amuse ourselves (kids with hamsters that they get bored of after a week)?

I genuinely think future generations will look back on us with distaste for our pet culture.
Dogs aren't pets, they're companions. Agree with you about cat owners though, they're weird. As you say future generations will look back at cat owners as complete saddos.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
View attachment 64336
Because my dog is my best mate now my kids have grown up
We go on massive 10 mile walks through the countryside, while I listen to 5hours of tunes on iPhone
He never moans
He never asks why
He goes mental when I get in from work,jumping all over me knocking me to the ground
If I'm off work ill he'll sit by my side 24/7 pestering me but keeping me company
I can go to the pub on my Own but not feel lonely as I've got him by my side and most people adore him so it's a conversation breaker and end up meeting lots of new people
Love my dog, so some of that might answer the question to why people keep dogs

This post pretty much says what it's like to be a dog owner.

I don't own a dog but I occasionally walk and look after one, when walking the dog I can't believe how many people actually stop and talk to me about her.

You are correct about your dog being a conversation breaker, I was talking to a bloke with a dog at a non- league match yesterday, plenty of people kept stopping to talk because of the dog.

Also it's nice to go on long walks in the countryside.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Dog poo makes children go blind.
The blind use dogs to get around.
They can't see the poo to pick it up.
Another child goes blind.

Vicious circle.

It's an absolute khazi of a state of affairs. As well as the above cats also scratch people's eyes out, crap in their oxtail soup and generally kick off at every opportunity.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Whereas cats

make every area stink where they piss, which is rarely there own house or garden

Noisy at night when roaming the street fighting

The crap anywhere and everywhere how many owners ever clear up after their cat

The kill or scare off all the great birds we used to have in our gardens as owners think its cool to have 6 cats per household and just leave them outside 24/7 because they are not pretty kittens anymore

Never seen a dog do that in public

They rip up and destroy furniture but cannot be taught not to

Their owners expect car drivers to be sorry when they knock over the cat they havent seen since they kicked them out the house 2 weeks ago because the scratched their toddler

All of this. You can add that their hairs get everywhere and the false sense of affection they give to manipulate food out of people.

I don't have and don't want any pets, but if I had to choose between a dog or a cat, it would be a dog every single time.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
the false sense of affection they give to manipulate food out of people..

I presume you've never owned a cat or you'd know that cats are extremely affectionate beasts outside of the sphere of food and that affection around food us only one very small part of a cat's emotional make-up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here