Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do humans love cats so much?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
...reminded me of this from one of the best books I have read for years, by Tracey Thorn.

TT.JPG

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
We've two cats at home and, with one of them, I can think of no reason to dislike them as pets, lovely affectionate creatures who're independent enough not to be a pain.

Then there's the other one, a, hyperactive psycho cat who spends many a happy (presumably) hour bounding up and down stairs or terrorising the other cat/furniture/me.

Long story short, they're like people, some are great to be around whilst others you just want to avoid.

You can put down a cat...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot stand cats they are neither use nor ornament unless you have mice. I do however like dogs as they seem tk be able to aporeciate a persons care more so than cats. I realise this is a personal view and each to their own. My sister in law had 6 cats and when visiting her she made sure they didnt jump on my lap as she knows my opinion of them. If you like them have them but not for me.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I imagine part of the attraction is that they never sh*t in their own back yard! :annoyed:

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
I cannot stand cats they are neither use nor ornament unless you have mice. I do however like dogs as they seem tk be able to aporeciate a persons care more so than cats. I realise this is a personal view and each to their own. My sister in law had 6 cats and when visiting her she made sure they didnt jump on my lap as she knows my opinion of them. If you like them have them but not for me.

crikey I think its best to have one for every day of the week !:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I couldn't eat a whole one.

But seriously; I don't mind other peoples cats but I wouldn't have one myself. I have got better things to do than have my lap used as a bed and used as a personal stroking booth.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As well as being nice pets, they keep rodents and squirrels away from the garden by their presence alone. They're also very clean and don't make your house smell, unlike dogs.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
We have a cat in our house hold. My Brother bought it with him from a failed relationship. Now, I like having animals around but I wouldn't choose cats, too needy and two faced. A dog is an honest animal and returns affection.
The cat is fine though, I end up feeding it most days as my brother tends to lie in bed all day feeling sorry for himself so by default I've ended up taking care of it. I don't get the massive love for them but nor do I hate them. Seems a cheery enough little creature.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Tigers are, probably, the most majestic animals on earth. Domestic cats are just smaller, less deadly, and more affectionate versions.
Yep they certainly have everything and you won't find an animal like them when it comes to power and beauty.If there is any animal you'd like to be photographed with its likely to be a tiger.
Comfortably one of the most powerful animals on the planet if not the most powerful and combined with beauty it takes some beating.

My cat's awesome and cats are very low maintenance compared to dogs,but like most I love all animals.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep they certainly have everything and you won't find an animal like them when it comes to power and beauty.If there is any animal you'd like to be photographed with its likely to be a tiger.
It's also quite likely to be the last thing you ever do! Still, I'm sure the wife and kids, after a period of mourning, will look at the photo and treasure the memories!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hate cats

I have some sympathy with this view. I just can't stand the way they can waltz around my garden as if they own the place. At least they react to being chased out.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Personally i like cats tho i have noticed on this here forum. That a majority don't due to the belief they destroy songbird population.

My own dislike of cats has nothing to do with songbirds. It has mainly to do with the fact that they are cats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here