Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why did the boos happen and/or who was targeted?

What was the booing all about?

• Booing individual player(s)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Booing the team as a whole

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Booing Graham Potter

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Booing out of frustration

Votes: 234 87.6%
  • Something else (please state)

Votes: 17 6.4%

• Total voters

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
With the majority on this one, frustration, but returning to the Maupay/Locadia scenario, and apologies if it’s already been covered, did GP put Locadia on to basically show Bloom and the rest of the board what he’s being made to work with?

He had to take Maupay off because he was never going to score. I think most fans agree with that. He only had one striker on the bench for a like-for-like swap as the formation was working very well, worth a try but Locadia is no Danny Welbeck.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Simple frustration at not putting the ball in the net.

I know every club has idiots but even they would know that was a very decent performance bar the finishing touch.

It is far more frustrating watching us dominate games and not get what you deserve, than being dire and snatching a point.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Wasn't at the match as isolating with covid, but obviously watched on telly. Any manager who brings on Locadia deserves to be roundly booed, so GP should just accept it and fine himself 2 weeks wages, and promise never to be so daft again!

If he wanted to take off Maupay, who was actually decent apart from missed chances, he had other options on the bench. Sub didn't have to be an alleged striker as we have played several times without a recognised no 9.

I don't thing anyone booed the performance, and apart from the weird Locadia decision and missing some easy chances, the team played pretty well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Simple frustration at not putting the ball in the net.

I know every club has idiots but even they would know that was a very decent performance bar the finishing touch.

It is far more frustrating watching us dominate games and not get what you deserve, than being dire and snatching a point.

It's the many and varied ways we have to not win games, which keeps me coming back for more.

I'm going to Southampton and I have absolutely no idea how we're not going to win that game.
I can barely contain myself, it's like Christmas Day once a week.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
He had to take Maupay off because he was never going to score. I think most fans agree with that. He only had one striker on the bench for a like-for-like swap as the formation was working very well, worth a try but Locadia is no Danny Welbeck.

Locadia isn't even a footballer, never mind a striker.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I'm in the South/West corner and the boo's were definitely coming from the North end of the stadium. I think it was a combination of frustration, the cold weather, the shocking referee and the bizarre substitutions.

I'm a fan of Potter and didn't boo. But I was vocal about my opinion on the awful substitutions that he made, especially when bringing on Locadia. Potters substitutions have killed us in the last two games. Limited options admittedly, but his decisions are baffling.

But we're in the bloody top half of the PL on merit. Potter has done a fantastic job with an average squad.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It's the many and varied ways we have to not win games, which keeps me coming back for me.

I'm going to Southampton and I have absolutely no idea how we're not going to win that game.
I can barely contain myself, it's like Christmas Day once a week.

I think the keeper will save a penalty at 90+4 with the score at 0-0. The ref will order it to be retaken as the keeper moved off his line before the ball was struck and we’ll put the retake over the bar.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Let's put this 'show the board' hogwash to bed right now.

GPott is in the room when the Gang of 3 meet.
GPott knows his career is results orientated.
GPott gets a voice when signing off on the squad.

GPott agreed with the squad he was given, or at the very least GPott didn't disagree.

Even though he's a coach and not a manager he's still integral to the inner workings of the squad.

It's ridiculous to think he's a separate entity who looks around on the first day of preseason to see who he has to work with.

In much the same way it's ridiculous to think there was no money for a striker.

Sure there was no money for a striker AFTER all the other spending.
But there was plenty of money for an elite striker, from the moment Arsenal ponied up.

Agree with that to a certain extent. GP will have known the club were after several strikers, eg Darwin Nunez, but couldn't get the deal over the line, When he got the job he would have been made aware of the financial situation, ie we don't just throw money around. So yes, he has a squad to work with but it might not be the squad he or the club actually hoped for at the end of the window however he is pragmatic to know it is what it is. I don't think he would use Locadia to send the board a message. He's too smart for that. Whatever he feels we need he will already have discussed that with the recruitment team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree with that to a certain extent. GP will have known the club were after several strikers, eg Darwin Nunez, but couldn't get the deal over the line, When he got the job he would have been made aware of the financial situation, ie we don't just throw money around. So yes, he has a squad to work with but it might not be the squad he or the club actually hoped for at the end of the window however he is pragmatic to know it is what it is. I don't think he would use Locadia to send the board a message. He's too smart for that. Whatever he feels we need he will already have discussed that with the recruitment team.

If Mr Potter's end of season debrief wasn't something along the lines of:-

"Boss, I think I can get a few more goals from this squad, but without 'the' plug in and play striker, we're going to keep having flashbacks to this season just gone'.

Then he's a fool to himself and his career.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the keeper will save a penalty at 90+4 with the score at 0-0. The ref will order it to be retaken as the keeper moved off his line before the ball was struck and we’ll put the retake over the bar.

Nah, assuming West Ham follows the usual no shots and 1-0 after an unforced error is pounced upon.

Then Southampton will be all huff and puff 0-1 until they draw level after the ball is deflected in off Adams who's stood with his back to goal.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It was booing out of frustration IMO but booing because you’re frustrated is just thick, boo the team or players who don’t try, the players on the pitch on Saturday did enough to win that game by 2 or 3 goals, booing because you’re annoyed or frustrated just seems unintelligent to me, I’ve been frustrated after 75% of Albion games for one reason or another and I’ve never been that frustrated that I’d boo the team off, it’s bizarre IMO.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Frustration is what caused the booing. end of. Had Solly's effort dribbled in, there would have been no booing, joy unabound. The so-called "small margins" eh? I think we as fans need to take our medicine when the gaffer points it out -its feedback that we are willing to give, its feedback we should be willing to take.I didn't take it personally, I didn't boo, so have no issue hearing how he feels hearing it, in fact I like that he is honest about it. Likewise, when the fans have given their all, helped the team etc, I expect to get positive feedback too and wil lap it up accordingly! There were shouts from individuals during the game, underneath the big screen in the North calling GP a "C", furious with what was being served up to them. Its time to move on, but we have a section (very small) in our fan base that do this, with every manager, whenever we don't beat a team lower than us in the table or when the team is "struggling". I can't get my head round it personally, but I find it depressing because it was totally predictable, but the best side of our support will be on show on Wednesday, I expect that to be mentioned and I have a feeling we will sneak it!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The club would have snapped the hand off anyone who put in a bid for Locadia but there weren’t any.

As for clubs in the Championship, net transfer spend in that division was negative and half the clubs did not sign anyone for fees.

Zeqiri has not scored for the Albion in 12 appearances.

We're veering off topic a little but your post was about how to pay for it and, given we signed two other players, given we got £50 million for White, expanded the stadium and invested heavily in the women's squad I'm not sure that was the issue. If we're saying that we cannot get a better player for our budget then I'd understand that, and maybe that's what you meant.

As with most Brighton fans (and the thing that sets us apart from truly entitled fans like Leeds and Newcastle) I would rather have Tony Bloom in charge in League One than some random overseas oligarch or Government in the Premier League. But if Covid has killed us on the budget front then say that. Don't say "top ten" if the real aim is to consolidate and then only if that's possible. I grant you we are ninth and have been in that top ten all season but all the time we're not scoring we're only heading one way and for me the missing part of the jigsaw is a finisher.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
I think its extreme frustration and the fact that Leeds were absolutely awful on Saturday. They were easily one of the worst teams I've seen in the premier league at the Amex and we still couldnt put ONE of our multiple golden chances away to take the points we deserved. This also came on the back of exactly the same scenario at Villa and also at home to Newcastle - we could/should have taken nine points but settled for 2.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think my overall impression from watching six games this weekend is that I heard more booing than singing in the PL and Championship. Not saying it was the case in the Brighton game (thought it was one of the louder games I watched, no idea if it was you or the Leeds fans) but generally speaking. Pretty disturbing development and probably not sustainable if football is going to remain as popular as it is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're veering off topic a little but your post was about how to pay for it and, given we signed two other players, given we got £50 million for White, expanded the stadium and invested heavily in the women's squad I'm not sure that was the issue. If we're saying that we cannot get a better player for our budget then I'd understand that, and maybe that's what you meant.

As with most Brighton fans (and the thing that sets us apart from truly entitled fans like Leeds and Newcastle) I would rather have Tony Bloom in charge in League One than some random overseas oligarch or Government in the Premier League. But if Covid has killed us on the budget front then say that. Don't say "top ten" if the real aim is to consolidate and then only if that's possible. I grant you we are ninth and have been in that top ten all season but all the time we're not scoring we're only heading one way and for me the missing part of the jigsaw is a finisher.
We walked past Unkie Tony on Saturday.
I said to Jnr 'isn't it great that Tony can walk around his stadium on match day in exactly the same way as the rest of the punters, without being accosted by well meaning fans'.

That said, he's watched more of the last two & a third seasons than any of us.
A lot of what's being said really doesn't need to be said to him, and yet here we are.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Whilst I will never understand why those fans chose to boo, I think it must have been out of frustration at the fact that we had witnessed another brilliant team performance let down by our finishing. It has happened an incredible amount of times over the past two seasons. We all feel exactly the same but most of us are sensible enough to know that the team are not doing it deliberately and in no way did they deserve to be booed.

On the other hand, there's also no reason for that cretin Andy Naylor to use it as an excuse to write another piece criticising the fans who basically pay his wages these days. Such a poor writer, I'd definitely boo him if I could.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

To get a 'guaranteed' PL striker would mean breaking the transfer record as well as our wage structure, and in a world where Rhian Brewster costs £23.5m (0 goals in 27 PL appearances) and Dominic Solanke £20m (4 goals in 63) represent the price of young promising players, it is still a gamble.

I honestly thought that Connolly would push on and improve as a player, he's failed to do so, more to do with application and professionalism than ability. Danny Wellbeck is never going to last 38 games in a season, and was always a risk, which has not worked.

We have signed strikers (Tau, Zequiri, Lolcadia, Andone) who have also failed to deliver the goals that everyone wants. Tau and Zeqiri are not in the squad as they both want regular first team football, fully understand that, and realistically would they be your first choice or even second?

As for constantly beating Tony Bloom around the head for saying he has a long term aim of being in the top ten, I don't get it. What's wrong with being ambitious? The alternative is to say he has spunked £400 million and wants to finish 17th each season, which is not inspiring. We are not there yet, but on Saturday I saw some superb football from the likes of Lamptey, Cucurella, Trossard, Webster (not seen a centre half willing to bring the ball forwards the way he does since Lawrenson) and the side is pretty young too.

In relation to the White fee, it helped stem the losses, as you said before, Cucurella has been a success, Mwepu not so to date, but then the same could have been said about Bissouma for his first two seasons too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here