Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why did the boos happen and/or who was targeted?

What was the booing all about?

• Booing individual player(s)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Booing the team as a whole

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Booing Graham Potter

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Booing out of frustration

Votes: 234 87.6%
  • Something else (please state)

Votes: 17 6.4%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A better understanding of budgeting and expenditure with a minimum of a first class degree in economics would be helpful.
Plus ban anyone who buys the Sun or believes all that they read on social media.

Let's face it, anyone who was booing on Saturday has to be pretty thick with a lack of understanding of the bigger picture.
It was just a case of too many of the opinionated blokes down the pub who irritate everyone being in the same place at the same time.

And what about people who boo the ref because he's giving everything to the other team (indeed, is it not possible that a few were booing Pawson and not the team on Saturday) when they're not qualified refs? People who boo Zaha because he's diving when there's no chance of seeing minute contact from the back of the stand? People who boo homophobic chanting or fans invading the pitch?

Football's a pantomime. Always has been, always will be. And it's traditionally a working class game. Where's your Venn diagram between working class and thick?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
A better understanding of budgeting and expenditure with a minimum of a first class degree in economics would be helpful.
Plus ban anyone who buys the Sun or believes all that they read on social media.

Let's face it, anyone who was booing on Saturday has to be pretty thick with a lack of understanding of the bigger picture.
It was just a case of too many of the opinionated blokes down the pub who irritate everyone being in the same place at the same time.

This whole post reads like something an opinionated bloke who irritates everyone would say at the pub :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Should be beaten because…?

Leeds couldn't string 2 passes together.
Everybody else has beaten Newcastle.
&
Villa were on a run so bad they sacked their manager.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
&

We hit the post three times against Leeds and missed two sitters.

Five other teams have drawn against Newcastle

We were on a bad run too when we played Villa.

I saw all three games, thought we were the better team in all three, frustrated with two points but won’t boo the team, the manager, Paul Barber or Tony Bloom as don’t know what else they could reasonably do.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
And what about people who boo the ref because he's giving everything to the other team (indeed, is it not possible that a few were booing Pawson and not the team on Saturday) when they're not qualified refs? People who boo Zaha because he's diving when there's no chance of seeing minute contact from the back of the stand? People who boo homophobic chanting or fans invading the pitch?

Football's a pantomime. Always has been, always will be. And it's traditionally a working class game. Where's your Venn diagram between working class and thick?

That's not quite the same as booing your own teams performance.
Anyway, I'm off down the pub to ask my mate Reg what a Venn diagram is.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
&

...plus every team to play at Norwich this season - up until our coach driver typed 'Carrow Road' into the sat nav - had rolled out of Norfolk with 3 points.

(Norwich: goals against so far = 27, of which we inflicted err, 0).

Last edited:

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
Talksh1t are going to talk about brighton fans turning on potter!!! They r making it sound like the majority not minority.

Not sure when it starts, either soon or at 12

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Definitely frustration.
I didn’t boo and could count on one hand the amount of times I have in 700+ games. Saturday’s performance certainly didn’t deserve it, but if I had one criticism of the events of late it would be of Potter’s dicking about re Maupay.
He has been in relatively decent form until rested/dropped and to all intents and purposes is starting from scratch again - something he’s quite poor at doing.
Better handling of Maupay would have averted much of the current angst towards the poor guy IMO

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
&

I can’t believe you are in the whole ‘teams we should be beating’ mentality, I know you and you’re definitely not of schoolboy age. :p

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We hit the post three times against Leeds and missed two sitters.

Five other teams have drawn against Newcastle

We were on a bad run too when we played Villa.

I saw all three games, thought we were the better team in all three, frustrated with two points but won’t boo the team, the manager, Paul Barber or Tony Bloom as don’t know what else they could reasonably do.

As did I and much like yourself had I booed it would mean I'd been booing for 45 years and wondering what the feck I was still doing 'supporting' my team.

But highlighting a great point against Liverpool and an almost laughable 3 v City doesn't change the core reason for the dissent.

How many times, over GPott's 2.3 seasons could you have written:-

We hit the post three times... ...and missed two sitters.

So it's clear there is something they could reasonably do and it isn't buy a load of teenagers and loan them out across Europe.

I refer you to [MENTION=22849]Stato[/MENTION]'s excellent post (#277) on the demeanour thread.

All the booing vocally represented was how the dressing room should have been post match.

If they were all Jeremy Giambi then GPott's got much bigger issues than a few knobends booing and needs to go all Billy Beane immediately.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can’t believe you are in the whole ‘teams we should be beating’ mentality, I know you and you’re definitely not of schoolboy age. :p

The Leeds played like I could have been in contention for MOTM, if only I didn't hate (now there's a word you don't see me using) Parma Violets.

Posters can't have it both ways.
They can't champion a fantastic point, team effort, excellent resilience, composure in front of goal v Liverpool.

Then say we have no right to win at home against a team who:-

Repeatedly kicked the ball into touch.
Played the first half with 10 men.
Have been appalling all season.
Injury hit.
Goal shy.

Esp when the latter far far outweighs the former.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Obviously not the point I believe SB was making - but I do agree with his wider point.

Norwich, Newcastle, Villa and Leeds have been on appalling runs of form when we have played them. Of course, we have no given right to beat any of them, but it is almost inconceivable that these fixtures between them have yielded 3 points, two 0-0s and just 1 goal scored.

Sure, it was great beating Liverpool 2-2 and winning the second half vs. Man City but it does feel that as a side we over-think things sometimes, instead of sensing blood.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
&

Remove all the Brighton players from the field and they would string 2 passes together. Teams being "poor" has a lot to do with what the opponents are doing.

Some teams beat Newcastle some do not. Same goes for every team in the PL.

A poor run doesnt mean that a team will lose every single game for the rest of the season.

There is no "should win" games in the Premier League. There is no "they were there for the taking". There is no "piss poor sides".

19 years of Premier League, each season a bottom 3 team beat a top 3 team, each season except one all of the teams lose and win games, each season great win streaks and lose streaks come to their ends, each season fans of 19 teams loudly asking the question "how could we possibly lose or draw against a team below us in the table? And whyyy is it only happening to us?". For me it is the definition of not understanding the nature of football. You have it black on white that "surprising"/unusual results happen all ****ing time and yet learn nothing from it, heading into a new game thinking you "should" win it.

Coincidence plays a part in individual game, such is the nature of low scoring sports, while over a season there is about a 90% chance that a team will end up within 3 places of the "wages spent league" because more money means you can get better footballers. And now you might say "but we have really good footballers! Better than most!" but that opinion is shared with the fans of about 15 or 16 clubs every season. To you, Pascal Gross might be the second coming of Christ but then you see ****ing John McGinn hitting pinpoint passes from all over the pitch and that should be the realisation not one ****ing club is dreaming of having Gross in their midfield, he is a player you have if you have a bottom 6 budget because he has the quality of a bottom 6 player. And same goes for a bunch of Brighton players frequently hailed as great players.

I'm not saying you cant be frustrated over draws and losses but this "should win" thing has no relation to reality and the "should end up above 10 other teams" thing is also hopeful ambitions more than some real reflection over what this team is and there is no single individual player recruitment, no magic manager or splendid game plan that is going to change this. Its a slow, painful struggle towards improvement hoping that one day the club will be beating the odds (even more than it has in the past). Thankfully everyone working within football realises this because if they would go into games believing that they "should" win, they would truly get ****ed.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Definitely frustration.
I didn’t boo and could count on one hand the amount of times I have in 700+ games. Saturday’s performance certainly didn’t deserve it, but if I had one criticism of the events of late it would be of Potter’s dicking about re Maupay.
He has been in relatively decent form until rested/dropped and to all intents and purposes is starting from scratch again - something he’s quite poor at doing.
Better handling of Maupay would have averted much of the current angst towards the poor guy IMIO.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Obviously not the point I believe SB was making - but I do agree with his wider point.

Norwich, Newcastle, Villa and Leeds have been on appalling runs of form when we have played them. Of course, we have no given right to beat any of them, but it is almost inconceivable that these fixtures between them have yielded 3 points, two 0-0s and just 1 goal scored.

Just ask a Palace fan how they feel after beating Man City and Spurs this season but still only picked up a total of 3 points in the games v Brentford, Villa, Newcastle, and Burnley
Ask a Everton fan how they feel after picking up 1 points only from the games v Brentford, Wolves, Watford, Leeds (1pt) and Villa . And so on.
Is it inconceivable or actually what you'd expect from a tough, competitive league outside the top 3. ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Leeds played like I could have been in contention for MOTM, if only I didn't hate (now there's a word you don't see me using) Parma Violets.

Posters can't have it both ways.
They can't champion a fantastic point, team effort, excellent resilience, composure in front of goal v Liverpool.

Then say we have no right to win at home against a team who:-

Repeatedly kicked the ball into touch.
Played the first half with 10 men.
Have been appalling all season.
Injury hit.
Goal shy.

Esp when the latter far far outweighs the former.

My point is, we did everything in our power to beat Leeds other than score a goal. No one can say to me after Saturday, if only we attacked more, crossed more, broke more, created more, because we did everything and more required to win a football match, accept tapping a chance in, and this week we are talking tap ins.

So while not beating Leeds is immensely frustrating, it’s not like we didn’t turn up and make a right hash of a game. It’s a repeating narrative, but we are difficult to beat and we create a lot of chances. Sorry, but I left Saturday very frustrated, but can be satisfied with much of our tactics, play and effort.

So yes, we should have beaten Leeds, everyone with functioning eyesight could see that, but we were in that positioned with how we played, not on what the other team’s previous games were like.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just ask a Palace fan how they feel after beating Man City and Spurs this season but still only picked up a total of 3 points in the games v Brentford, Villa, Newcastle, and Burnley
Ask a Everton fan how they feel after picking up 1 points only from the games v Brentford, Wolves, Watford, Leeds (1pt) and Villa . And so on.
Is it inconceivable or actually what you'd expect from a unpredictable , competitive league outside the top 3. ?

Look, it would be really helpful if you didn't insist on dissecting my post 0-0 Monday morning rants by presenting me with rational counter-arguments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here