Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are Hull City signing a striker from Burgess Hill?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Love reading this thread and all the theories.

Unfortunately the truth as I heard it from a very reliable source is a little more worrying.

We were aware of him, he's been watched many times.

However when we heard Hull City had offered him a two and half year contract, our team went to work and offered him a two WEEK trail with the development squad.

He choose Hull City's two and a half year contract!

Can you blame him if he made comments against the club on twitter! Appartently we even thought we would get him. Arrogance like that from the club, is not got going to make them many friends in local football.

The most accurate post on this thread according to a relative of the player who I met today.
But he had three contract offers Oxford Utd, Wolves and Hull City. After he had received these offers we then offered him a 2 week TRIAL.
He could not risk losing the contract offer through messing these clubs around, to have the trial with the Albion. He also said that he would have loved to play for the Albion.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We offered a contract, but quite late in the day and it simply was not as good as Hulls offer

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am talking about a close relative of the player and he states they offered him a 2 week trial only.

It would appear we will never know then, as I was reliably informed all offers for the player including ours were discussed at the meeting he attended..

Hulls was by far the best and we only came in late in the day.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
It would appear we will never know then, as I was reliably informed all offers for the player including ours were discussed at the meeting he attended..

Hulls was by far the best and we only came in late in the day.

You may never know because you want to believe the word of some committee member, but I am very happy to accept the word of a CLOSE relative of the player concerned.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
The most accurate post on this thread according to a relative of the player who I met today.
But he had three contract offers Oxford Utd, Wolves and Hull City. After he had received these offers we then offered him a 2 week TRIAL.
He could not risk losing the contract offer through messing these clubs around, to have the trial with the Albion. He also said that he would have loved to play for the Albion.

He very likely will play for us, when we cough up a couple of million to Hull. If this kid turns out to be something special I'd begin to think heads should roll.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

But the club knew Greg very well, for years, he wasnt an obvious starlet then but I think it is a great story and I wish him the very best.

Only time will tell whether Hulls scout saw some potential our scouts couldnt but up until then nothing and no-one to blame unless latterly we really did want him and acted too slow, but the brakes were on as Brighton recruitment department knew all about him and looks like they didnt share Hulls view.

For the player I think he might be better served going to another club, where people who have got him there have a vested interest on offering him the very best chance of succeeding, if there are people within our system that have never felt he deserved that opportunity then it might of effected his progress.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Our new academy will bring in the best talents from the surrounding areas, and then potentially the country! YAY category 1!

:rolleyes:

Why would you think we will get first dibs above Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea etc. on bringing in potential best talents outside Sussex.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
But the club knew Greg very well, for years, he wasnt an obvious starlet then but I think it is a great story and I wish him the very best.

Only time will tell whether Hulls scout saw some potential our scouts couldnt but up until then nothing and no-one to blame unless latterly we really did want him and acted too slow, but the brakes were on as Brighton recruitment department knew all about him and looks like they didnt share Hulls view.

For the player I think he might be better served going to another club, where people who have got him there have a vested interest on offering him the very best chance of succeeding, if there are people within our system that have never felt he deserved that opportunity then it might of effected his progress.

100% Agree with your first line.
But it wasn't just Hull who were chasing him as Wolves and Oxford Utd also offered him a contract.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
100% Agree with your first line.
But it wasn't just Hull who were chasing him as Wolves and Oxford Utd also offered him a contract.

Perhaps people within Brighton didnt feel the same way as those clubs.

Its a strange situation and a typical example how sometimes you can be known too well and this might hinder your progress whilst others either come in or are seen a few times and a two year contract is offered.

From afar it seems Greg's real value is his goal scoring, clubs will forgo many things whilst assessing a player if they feel they have a potential goalscorer in front of them.

Its a low level financial risk for Hull with some really big potential if he continues to score, good luck to him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You may never know because you want to believe the word of some committee member, but I am very happy to accept the word of a CLOSE relative of the player concerned.

I do believe the word of the Committee member as he is a Very good friend who i have known for over 20 years, and would have absolutely no reason to not tell me the truth.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
We offered a contract, but quite late in the day and it simply was not as good as Hulls offer
No we didn't. We only offered him a two week trail. The club were polity told where to go when they did this. Apparently when he offered the two week trail. fully aware of the other offers, his agent told the club, great we'll take that. Someone from the club then said, he will send the forms over for them to fill in, when he was then asked is he familiar with sarcasm.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think perhaps we are under/over estimating Ian Chapmans role in this.

Although a BHA legend, he would have felt some grievance what happened to Wilkins when he was there, he certainly wouldnt of pushed Luer towards Brighton on sentimental grounds, quite the contrary, especially if the interest seemed muted anyway.

No ones really to blame here .... yet :)

Just hope it goes brilliantly for him, its a great story and a great opportunity for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here