Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are Hull City signing a striker from Burgess Hill?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Love reading this thread and all the theories.

Unfortunately the truth as I heard it from a very reliable source is a little more worrying.

We were aware of him, he's been watched many times.

However when we heard Hull City had offered him a two and half year contract, our team went to work and offered him a two WEEK trail with the development squad.

He choose Hull City's two and a half year contract!

Can you blame him if he made comments against the club on twitter! Appartently we even thought we would get him. Arrogance like that from the club, is not got going to make them many friends in local football.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Don't you just love Brighton fans. We buy a player who scored 15 championship goals in a team that got relegated and who then gets slated as he fails to score in a poor team where opportunities are thin on the ground and then they moan about the club not signing a player from Ryman South, unproven at any professional level! Hull have money to spunk on a gamble where as we don't. Can anyone else remember the last non-league starlet we signed? Funnily enough, the last I saw of him was missing a penalty at Burgess Hill in a pre season friendly!!!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Don't you just love Brighton fans. We buy a player who scored 15 championship goals in a team that got relegated and who then gets slated as he fails to score in a poor team where opportunities are thin on the ground and then they moan about the club not signing a player from Ryman South, unproven at any professional level! Hull have money to spunk on a gamble where as we don't. Can anyone else remember the last non-league starlet we signed? Funnily enough, the last I saw of him was missing a penalty at Burgess Hill in a pre season friendly!!!

I take your point but Solly March was signed from non-league......going back in time Peter Ward and many others.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sake. Anyone would think we've just missed out on the next Michael Owen. He could just as easily turn out to be the next Chris Holroyd.

I'm as macked off as anyone else at where we are right now, but these non-league "starlets" come and go all over the shop, clubs take a punt but the vast majority sink without a trace. Calm the CLUCK down.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This guy was worth a punt and should have easily been a Dev. squad option! Transfer policy is far too cautious and is really starting to show! Not many young strikers at the club for ages now!!

Spot on fella.

Based on WHAT exactly ? Have either of you seen him play, or know anything about him, other than the fact that Hull have taken a punt ??

Feel free to bounce this thread if he turns up banging them in for a Prem or FL club within the next 5 years. You'll have earned your told-you-so's. Till then, its just another kid getting an extended trial somewhere other than here. The fact that Hull fancy him and we don't is neither here nor there, and bears no reflection on our youth recruitment policy.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Yes, seen him several times and he's definitely got something about him. Young, tall, quick, scores and creates goals in equal measure. (See my post below from FA Cup weekend thread back in October). Of course he's nowhere near the finished article but I'm disappointed we haven't taken a punt on him and developed him still further.

Originally Posted by edna krabappel

What's happened to them this season that they're suddenly doing so well, out of interest?

Combination of Chappers (gonna do well to hang on to him), successful youth team stepping up to the plate (Greg Luer - will get sold for sh1tloads) together with settled team (8 of the 11 starting today have started every key game). Playing high tempo passing game and getting better and better with every game.
In fairness to Chappers, finished 8th 2 years ago, 6th last year so a continual progress albeit no-one could have envisaged just how good this season would be. Playing some fantastic stuff, good crowds, club on the up.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

Thought you were at Sutton?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Problem being that our chairman had a hand in getting Wilkins sacked. Which pi$$ed Chappers off and lead to him falling out of love with football for some time. So, not surprised he's not doing the Albion a favour.
Chappers step mother is a Palace Fan she turned his father maybe him as well.:ffsparr:

Yes, seen him several times and he's definitely got something about him. Young, tall, quick, scores and creates goals in equal measure. (See my post below from FA Cup weekend thread back in October). Of course he's nowhere near the finished article but I'm disappointed we haven't taken a punt on him and developed him still further.

Originally Posted by edna krabappel

What's happened to them this season that they're suddenly doing so well, out of interest?

Combination of Chappers (gonna do well to hang on to him), successful youth team stepping up to the plate (Greg Luer - will get sold for sh1tloads) together with settled team (8 of the 11 starting today have started every key game). Playing high tempo passing game and getting better and better with every game.
In fairness to Chappers, finished 8th 2 years ago, 6th last year so a continual progress albeit no-one could have envisaged just how good this season would be. Playing some fantastic stuff, good crowds, club on the up.

Brighton had a sniff once the hull thing became news but not a serious effort a couple of london prem clubs had a quick look also,i think brighton really have a big issues with developing talent and have lost out on quite a few youngsters who are now in the youth network at london clubs!:moo:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Brighton had a sniff once the hull thing became news but not a serious effort a couple of london prem clubs had a quick look also,i think brighton really have a big issues with developing talent and have lost out on quite a few youngsters who are now in the youth network at london clubs!:moo:

So what's the point, I wonder, in spending £30M+ on a state of the art training ground?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He has been known since he was a kid by the club, however I dont think the club thought it was obvious at that time that he might develop into perhaps he player he has become.

If what is said is true about the club showing some faint interest when Hull came on the scene, then you must presume that they still felt the same, nothing wrong with that only time will tell.

I think it got mentioned before and there is some truth in it that we sometimes can overlook the local talent or are less likely to take a punt on someone on our doorstep for a similar player further afield.

Sometimes you know just a bit too much about them and that can be a disadvantage for that player.

Different scouts will have had different opinions of him some will be proved right some wrong. The way people are saying about him as if we should sign every player scouted. Those that fail still cost money. I would think the club get about 100 letters per month recommending a dead cert future star, we cant sign them all.

11 would be nice!:moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here