Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Why are all these flights being delayed/cancelled ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Visas are not an issue for airlines

Easy jet employees people across Europe (Austrian company now?!?)

Other countries are having issues, none of these have Brexit - Emirates/Delta/Air Canada struggling to hire.

Yes, EasyJet employs people all across Europe but that is the separate Austrian company. EasyJet UK is a separated entity and has to abide by UK employment law. You need a live work visa to be employed by, and to work for, the UK company and I find it hard to believe your missus is obtaining these on a whim when every single other industry like truckers and fruit pickers, not to mention Ukrainian refugees, even with the various and convoluted temporary visa offers, find it almost impossible.

I’ll let you guess why they set this separate Austrian company up.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Airlines were losing millions a day in some cases, with absolutely no end in sight

I think I read somewhere it costs about $500 an hour to park a plane, BA have about 220 !!!

Our aviation industry compared to others across the globe got very little support.

You’re right - so it’s a bit silly for a Conservative Minister yesterday to say that the Airline Industry should have anticipated the big demand this week and should have been ready for it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You’re right - so it’s a bit silly for a Conservative Minister yesterday to say that the Airline Industry should have anticipated the big demand this week and should have been ready for it.

I’ll bite, how should the Government have supported the aviation industry better during lockdown, and how was it going to be paid for?

There are plenty of sticks to beat the Government with, struggling to see how this can be added to the list

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I’m supposed to be flying with EJ to Lisbon this evening. I’ve just checked on the EJ app and it looks like my flight is already delayed by an hour and 20 mins. They advise that the bag drop times have not changed though, so I could be hanging around Luton airport for a while later today. That’s if it doesn’t get cancelled in the meantime.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
They sacked all their staff, trying to hire back on worse terms / staff found other careers. Doesn’t help these airlines have been flogging dirt cheap flights filling up schedules knowing they don’t have staff.

Oh and COVID still a factor , huge sickness levels with staff.

Yep, and the travel companies have been advertising and pushing deals for months...lack of reality across the industry of what was achievable

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Who was going to pay for all the staff with reduced income to the business ?

Just out of interest was it a MP that voted pushed for more restrictions

What would have helped was actually dialogue between the two parties, Airports/Airlines tried to sort this all, but got ignore.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I’ll bite, how should the Government have supported the aviation industry better during lockdown, and how was it going to be paid for?

There are plenty of sticks to beat the Government with, struggling to see how this can be added to the list

Then you simply can not complain about cancellations and delays due to it having start up issues.

In fact plenty were calling for even less support and for airlines to just fail, I wonder how many of those people are now moaning.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Then you simply can not complain about cancellations and delays due to it having start up issues.

In fact plenty were calling for even less support and for airlines to just fail, I wonder how many of those people are now moaning.

I am in travel, it is a bloody nightmare but I don't need to point the finger at anyone. It really is a case of shit happens whilst it gets back up to speed. I have not booked any personal flights for exactly this reason. It's Europe by ferry for me for a while.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Just to add one thing.

My company is crying out for experienced travel agents . If you fancy working from home for a good company and have that experience PM me as we would both be in the £££ as my company has a referral program they are that desperate for staff to fill the busy gaps

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Visas are not an issue for airlines

Easy jet employees people across Europe (Austrian company now?!?)

Other countries are having issues, none of these have Brexit - Emirates/Delta/Air Canada struggling to hire.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.eu/article/capacity-crunch-coronavirus-covid-aviation-recovery-hiring-vacancies-summer-schiphol-airport-staff-shortages/amp/

Airlines and airports across Europe are struggling just now with a major shortage of staff.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I bet a lot of people looking at the current scenes are going to give this year a miss in terms of flights / holidays abroad- things may have righted themselves by 2023. Could be sensible.

Best of luck to those entering the fray this year!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just to add one thing.

My company is crying out for experienced travel agents . If you fancy working from home for a good company and have that experience PM me as we would both be in the £££ as my company has a referral program they are that desperate for staff to fill the busy gaps

I might know some staff, is it home working/store?

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I might know some staff, is it home working/store?

Business not retail travel ....

Home based probably as thats the way of the world now . Put it this way in the last 8 years i have been in HQ once (London)

PM if you like but candidates would need experience . We use all the main 3 GDS systems

And its a BIG company to work for !

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Business not retail travel ....

Home based probably as thats the way of the world now . Put it this way in the last 8 years i have been in HQ once (London)

PM if you like but candidates would need experience . We use all the main 3 GDS systems

And its a BIG company to work for !

I am in awe of people who can jump between Amadeus, Sabre and Galileo in command mode rather than graphic. We only use Amadeus in command mode.

Does your company sponsor a football team? :wink:

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I am in awe of people who can jump between Amadeus, Sabre and Galileo in command mode rather than graphic. We only use Amadeus in command mode.

Does your company sponsor a football team? :wink:

Have to admit I havent been in res for 25 years (IT behind scenes) but still know the basic functions of all 3. We have tools that make life easier with that !

And part of my company sponsors a football team yes , if you know the company at all you will know what i mean :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Rumours floating about TUI could be in trouble, I very much doubt this is the case.

Seems pretty believable to me. Easyjet similar. The airlines are sitting on a humungous mountain of IOUs (vouchers) that they're statutorily bound to honour. Where's the new money coming from, especially in light of the current meltdown? Presumably they've managed the risk to a certain extent via reinsurance arrangements or whatever. But how many families who were contemplating a holiday in the sun this summer will now opt for a staycation instead, rather than reduce their kids to tears? IMHO that aviation bounceback just got put back by at least a year. The current shitstorm must have all but destroyed any customer confidence in the sector

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Seems pretty believable to me. Easyjet similar. The airlines are sitting on a humungous mountain of IOUs (vouchers) that they're statutorily bound to honour. Where's the new money coming from, especially in light of the current meltdown? Presumably they've managed the risk to a certain extent via reinsurance arrangements or whatever. But how many families who were contemplating a holiday in the sun this summer will now opt for a staycation instead, rather than reduce their kids to tears? IMHO that aviation bounceback just got put back by at least a year. The current shitstorm must have all but destroyed any customer confidence in the sector

Hotels are failing as well, which doubles the issue.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I’m supposed to be flying with EJ to Lisbon this evening. I’ve just checked on the EJ app and it looks like my flight is already delayed by an hour and 20 mins. They advise that the bag drop times have not changed though, so I could be hanging around Luton airport for a while later today. That’s if it doesn’t get cancelled in the meantime.

The EJ app is now showing my flight is delayed by over 3.5 hours from 1810 to 2150, but they are also saying that bag drop times remain unchanged. Am I really going to have to get to the airport nearly 6 hours before we fly now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here