Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Why are all these flights being delayed/cancelled ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just shy of 37k

I find this really hard to believe. The UK aviation sector is one of the biggest in the world isn’t it? Why is such a small number causing much more difficulty…difficulty which has resulted in one UK airline taking the extreme action of removing seats so they can fly with less crew?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Airlines use post-Brexit loophole to bring in foreign workers

British Airways, easyJet and TUI are using an employment loophole to operate flights with EU crews without British work visas, as they grapple with staff shortages.

[URL="https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-airlines-wet-leasing-europe-planes-b2104983.html"]https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-airlines-wet-leasing-europe-planes-b2104983.html[/URL]

Brexit has made airport disruption worse, claims Ryanair boss

The ‘thousands of jobs’ affected by Brexit have added to travel chaos at UK airports, the boss of Ryanair has said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/brexit-has-made-airport-disruption-worse-claims-ryanair-boss/ar-AAYJjpp?ocid=EMMX&cvid=0c675f6c7aff43c78dd500777 098a137

BREXIT TO BLAME FOR AIRLINE STAFF SHORTAGES, SAYS EASYJET BOSS

The boss of Britain's biggest budget airline has contradicted a minister’s assertion that Brexit is not to blame for the airport and airline chaos.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-flight-cancelled-easyjet-staff-b2104884.html

Airlines ordered to cancel summer holidays now as Brexit blamed for chaos -'Unacceptable'

Chief executive of markets and airlines for TUI David Burling, said: "The shutdown in the aviation industry was more dramatic than in other countries in Europe. We obviously had Brexit."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/airlines-ordered-to-cancel-summer-holidays-now-as-brexit-blamed-for-chaos-unacceptable/ar-AAYtTqN?ocid=EMMX&cvid=b5de5f1671734a02bbf942f6d 39ddc03

In response to some of the outrageous and, quite frankly, scurrilous statements that are being made by senior figures throughout the Airline industry, the Government have released the following statement

It's not just Brexit.

We have face to face meetings coming back in our company and I had a trip to Amsterdam planned two weeks ago. It didn't happen because BA cancelled the flight at the last minute, as I've posted on here earlier. It turns out, however, from speaking to Dutch colleagues that the problem was at Schiphol which cancelled huge numbers of flights. All flights to Brussels were also cancelled on one day last week while Oslo has had similar problems due to a ground crew strike.

I'm just back from a conference in Munich and talking to partners, clients and competitors we also had stories of queues so large at Stockholm that it took four hours to get through, with the queues for T4 having to be routed through T5. A number of German exhibitors took the train rather than internal flights and one guy was delayed by 10 hours, missing his opening speech, not because of problems here but with his connecting flight at Dublin. Dublin airport has also seen huge security queues and it is impossible to buy priority security passes or speedy boarding if you're leaving from there.

I have to say Munich airport was a bit of an outlier. The place is superb anyway with a vast number of gates distributed in an intelligent way and conference centres and shopping centres integrated within the complex - there's even a brewery :drink: . I needed to try and transfer my flight from an internal one to Frankfurt, and from there home, to a direct one with my boss. The request was done politely and, dare I say, efficiently and I was very impressed with the Lufthansa service. We waited two minutes for security and three for passport control. Then we boarded and the plane sat there and sat there because, the pilot explained "there is only one guy to load all of your bags". 45 mins late for take off.

Much of this is easily googlable, before you go on about sources. You're retired, I'm sure you can spend a bit of time on it.

It's not to say Brexit isn't a factor. No doubt there have been people let go from UK airports and airlines who are no longer in the UK or eligible to work here. However, the main issue seems to be that pretty much every airport and airline in Europe let go too many staff and many have now found better jobs, with their replacements struggling to get security clearance.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's not just Brexit.

We have face to face meetings coming back in our company and I had a trip to Amsterdam planned two weeks ago. It didn't happen because BA cancelled the flight at the last minute, as I've posted on here earlier. It turns out, however, from speaking to Dutch colleagues that the problem was at Schiphol which cancelled huge numbers of flights. All flights to Brussels were also cancelled on one day last week while Oslo has had similar problems due to a ground crew strike.

I'm just back from a conference in Munich and talking to partners, clients and competitors we also had stories of queues so large at Stockholm that it took four hours to get through, with the queues for T4 having to be routed through T5. A number of German exhibitors took the train rather than internal flights and one guy was delayed by 10 hours, missing his opening speech, not because of problems here but with his connecting flight at Dublin. Dublin airport has also seen huge security queues and it is impossible to buy priority security passes or speedy boarding if you're leaving from there.

I have to say Munich airport was a bit of an outlier. The place is superb anyway with a vast number of gates distributed in an intelligent way and conference centres and shopping centres integrated within the complex - there's even a brewery :drink: . I needed to try and transfer my flight from an internal one to Frankfurt, and from there home, to a direct one with my boss. The request was done politely and, dare I say, efficiently and I was very impressed with the Lufthansa service. We waited two minutes for security and three for passport control. Then we boarded and the plane sat there and sat there because, the pilot explained "there is only one guy to load all of your bags". 45 mins late for take off.

Much of this is easily googlable, before you go on about sources. You're retired, I'm sure you can spend a bit of time on it.

It's not to say Brexit isn't a factor. No doubt there have been people let go from UK airports and airlines who are no longer in the UK or eligible to work here. However, the main issue seems to be that pretty much every airport and airline in Europe let go too many staff and many have now found better jobs, with their replacements struggling to get security clearance.

It's definitely not just Brexit.

My post was simply pointing out that a lot of people in the industry are saying that Brexit is having a major effect, despite the complete denial of it have any effect whatsoever by a number of people on this thread (hence the video).

I agree completely that there a whole raft of reasons behind this issue, trying to gear up after the lockdown probably being the major one. Brexit is simply another part of the problem. It's just the constant insistence of some that it definitely doesn't have any effect.

Heard a discussion on R5 yesterday about inflation. The cost of fuel increasing the cost of transporting foodstuffs was discussed at length, together with the Impact of the Ukraine war on grain and oil prices. The fact that food prices have risen by an average of 6% entirely due to Brexit never came up. In fact the 'B' word never appeared throughout the discussion about Inflation. I can't imagine why :shrug:

And why would I go on about sources ? I would only do that if I thought people were quoting statistics and facts from unverifiable sources (or simply making them up) to try and support their argument :wink:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I find this really hard to believe. The UK aviation sector is one of the biggest in the world isn’t it? Why is such a small number causing much more difficulty…difficulty which has resulted in one UK airline taking the extreme action of removing seats so they can fly with less crew?

We also have thousands ready to start working but can’t due to no passes.

We HAD the best aviation industry, we don’t anymore

Routes have been slashed due to starting again or transferring some flights to cargo to make money.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm sorry to point this out, but you are quoting all sorts of things for which you have no reputable source and have been completely unable to validate.

I gave four sources of senior people within the Airline industry explaining the impact Brexit has had on the industry. You immediately started posting figures for vacancies within the airline industry, none of which, despite being asked, you have been able to validate with any source whatsoever :shrug:

I'm off for dinner, but if you can find any sources whatsoever to validate all these claims that you make, I'll be more than happy to look at them tomorrow.

Have a good night :bigwave:

Why would I make it up, what would be the point?

You constantly blaming brexit for every ill in the world is counter productive.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Menorca and Amsterdam coming up in a few weeks, Amsterdam flights already changed and coming back to Luton ffs

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I read after I posted, but I’ve seen enough elsewhere to know you don’t really mean it, do you!

So, even though I've never actually posted what you claim I have posted, you 'know' that what I actually posted wasn't what I think and that what I actually think is whatever you think I think, despite me never having thought it or posted it ?

Rightio :lolol:

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Currently in Tenerife. Flew out no problem on Monday with BA but since then they have cancelled every flight to and from Tenerife for the rest of the week. Now nervous about my flight back next Tuesday. I’m no fan of this shocking govt but the biggest issue seems to be with the airlines for selling seats they didn’t have the capability to fulfil.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Currently one hour into a five hour delay at Sydney airport for my flight to Singapore. At least this thread gave something to read about issues earlier this year.
My delay has nothing to do with those problems. Just a good old fashioned door needs fixing.
And if anyone is wondering there is nothing to do at Sydney airport other than go the bar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Currently one hour into a five hour delay at Sydney airport for my flight to Singapore. At least this thread gave something to read about issues earlier this year.
My delay has nothing to do with those problems. Just a good old fashioned door needs fixing.
And if anyone is wondering there is nothing to do at Sydney airport other than go the bar.
A different take on the “is there a bar in Sydney showing the game” look at me post. Excellent work!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
little syd and her fella have been train hopping around Europe for the last 5 weeks , having a great time .....imho there his a clear and obvious agenda to make people question flying as a means of travel ......for instance $178.00 one way to Bali from Perth or Brisbane but a return flight from Perth to Brisbane is $ 1700.00 it's a massive piss take. You can get a return flight to London with Qatar or Singapore Airways for less than that but the robbing Qantas ****s will rinse and pillage those stupid enough to want to visit their loved ones....well played Qantas , well played.....NOT....!! ****s.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
well seeing as he's stuck at the airport already thats a pretty pointless statement isn't it...??
Surely it is never pointless to commend someone on a good piece of work?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
little syd and her fella have been train hopping around Europe for the last 5 weeks , having a great time .....imho there his a clear and obvious agenda to make people question flying as a means of travel ......for instance $178.00 one way to Bali from Perth or Brisbane but a return flight from Perth to Brisbane is $ 1700.00 it's a massive piss take. You can get a return flight to London with Qatar or Singapore Airways for less than that but the robbing Qantas ****s will rinse and pillage those stupid enough to want to visit their loved ones....well played Qantas , well played.....NOT....!! ****s.
It's a marketplace, just like any other business. They'll charge what they think the market will bear, and no less - why should they do otherwise?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sounds counter-intuitive, and not the quickest option to be sure, but judging by the figures in your post, couldn't you save significant amounts of money by flying from Perth to Brisbane via Bali, booking each leg as one way flights?

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Sounds counter-intuitive, and not the quickest option to be sure, but judging by the figures in your post, couldn't you save significant amounts of money by flying from Perth to Brisbane via Bali, booking each leg as one way flights?
turning a 4 hr flight int a 10 hr mission and going through 2 international borders doesn't really suit everyone , however your idea may work although i think its Australian airport fees , levies and taxes along with Qantas's penchant for the big rinse that elevates domestic prices to that extent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here