Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Whose the best manager England never had?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Alex Ferguson
When I used to play fotball manager and use the cheat where you add a fake manager, put him in charge of Man Utd and then make them offer Brighton £20,000,000 for Dan Harding, I would sometimes stay in charge at Man U for a few games, playing their striker in goal and setting up the team with no CMs or CBs so that they would lose 11-0, just for laughs.

I trust that this would be the approach of any self respecting Scot put in charge of the England team.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hasn’t Colin either been relegated or sacked before he was relegated in every season he’s been a 1st Division or Premier League manager? Suggest that wily, ugly and ruthless only works up to a certain level.
Well yes, maybe ... I guess... although that’s mostly due to his record of getting shit teams promoted.

The beauty is - we’ll never know, which means either of us could be right lol.

Hey ho

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
When I used to play fotball manager and use the cheat where you add a fake manager, put him in charge of Man Utd and then make them offer Brighton £20,000,000 for Dan Harding, I would sometimes stay in charge at Man U for a few games, playing their striker in goal and setting up the team with no CMs or CBs so that they would lose 11-0, just for laughs.

I trust that this would be the approach of any self respecting Scot put in charge of the England team.
Well I think he said publicly that he would never do it. But he did get linked with it a few times.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Martin ONeill was interviewed in 2006. He would have done a lot better than anyone else chosen in that era

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
An ex-Albion manager who I could have imagined doing a decent job is Steve Coppell but he's obviously not the answer to the thread question.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
The tv pundits always talk a good game could one of them done a job? I think Gary would not have leadership skills, but what about Gary Neville? Can't imagine and Ian Wright team!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well yes, maybe ... I guess... although that’s mostly due to his record of getting shit teams promoted.

The beauty is - we’ll never know, which means either of us could be right lol.

Hey ho
He did also take over at Palace in their second PL season after they’d previously finished 11th. Despite their previous strong season, he had Palace in the bottom 3 by the halfway point, but unfortunately they didn’t let him continue his good work and replaced him with Dancing Alan, who had them finishing in 10th.

Says to me that Colin was the main factor here.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I would have said Cloughie but then I remembered the whole "I didn't play in a Cup Final and neither will you" business with Wardy. That shows a vindictive side to his character, which I don't want to see in any manager, let alone the England manager. On reflection, Redknapp might have been a good choice, and yes, Malcolm Allison, though the Palace thing is hard to forget. Then again, I had and still have a lot of respect for Roy Hodgson, Palace through and through, and he did a good job for England despite that.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not sure I'd have wanted him but the more I think about it the more I'm coming round to the idea that Harry Redknapp might have been quite good for England. He seems like a more charismatic version of Southgate. Not the greatest tactically but a very good man manager that players seem to love playing for.

There'd be a few downsides - always being down to the bare bones, leaving the f.a bankrupt as he tries to buy the Brazilian national squad plus Mbappe and Haaland. Stuff like that.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Joe Mercer...caretaker between Alf Ramsay and Don Revie...did a good job and seeing how it turned out in the Revie era.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Although he was England manager, I feel Glenn Hoddle was the England manager we didn't have for long enough. Thought that team would have gone another step had he stayed for another couple of tournaments.
I think Hoddle was perhaps given the job a bit too early. He was a very new manager when he got the job in 1996 and had only been managing full time (rather than player-manager) for about a year

he had the potential but perhaps it was the wrong time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here