Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Whose the best manager England never had?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
With the potential departure of another one, a good old fashioned football debate for us oldies 😂

Cloughie is the obvious candidate, but in his excellent Biography of the England Football Team Paul Hayward states it would have been a recipe for disaster, with the way the FA was back in the 1970s, and probably would have similar to his public fall out with Sam Longson and eventual departure from Derby County.

My choice is a bit left field and might be a bit unpopular on here because of the Palace links, the England manager/coach role is unique, you choose your squad, there’s no transfer or wage issues with players, and latterly agents, it’s about a bag of balls, some bibs and cones and basic coaching.

Therefore my choice as ‘the one that got away’ is Malcolm Allison, lauded by many as one of greatest coaches this country has ever produced, El Tel and others have said his coaching techniques were light years ahead of anything else at the time.

No transfers, no contracts, just the best players on the training pitch.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'd love to have seen Redknapp in the role, not sure we'd have won much but it would have been a laugh

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Want you want here (imho) is a motivator first and foremost with a keen tactical edge when required, and with a ruthless streak - to win (at times) ugly and be ugly when required. Someone too, who is brave enough to play nearly every game with a cup final mentality... Keegan was in this mould, yet it didn’t really happen - why? Most likely he lacked tactical sharpness, but the result in Germany was the definition of motivation and passion.

So the one that got away ?

Neil Warnock. Ugly, ruthless, passionate.

I can’t help thinking we’d have beaten Italy with the wily old Warlock in charge. But then again, I’m rarely right about anything.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
George Raynor:
Won the 1948 Olympics with Sweden and followed it up with a bronze in 1952, 1950 World Cup bronze with Sweden (despite the Swedish FA banning all professionals from participating) and then when he returned he helped Sweden to a silver medal in World Cup 1958.
Four international medals in 10 years, very few managers could compete with that.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
would have been interesting to see how things panned out if Sam A-lard-arse didn't get turfed out after being caught with his hand in the till

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think the main problem an international manager has is there's little time to instill a method of playing. Players are used to the system adopted with their clubs. Southgate like many others, especially seen at this WC, play a very basic tactical system. This means there's very little change within the game apart from changing players.

I actually believe anyone with a professional coaching badge could do the job. This is obvious given Southgate's lack of success as a manager. If he does go he will not get a top job.

The international job doesn't appeal to many as it a somewhat disjointed job.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Although he was England manager, I feel Glenn Hoddle was the England manager we didn't have for long enough. Thought that team would have gone another step had he stayed for another couple of tournaments.
Oh, come on Eilean and all that - by the time a couple more tournaments came round he'd have probably had David Icke as his assistant manager. Could even have found a job for L. Ron Hubbard an' all!

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Oh, come on Eilean and all that - by the time a couple more tournaments came round he'd have probably had Davis Icke as his assistant manager. Could even have found a job for L. Ron Hubbard an' all!

Icke and Hubbard would have argued with Hoddle regarding his Christianity so I don't think it would have ever been a go'er.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Cloughie (with Taylor), took one provincial club very nearly to the pinnacle of European football then (annoyingly) went all the way with another. Neither teams were chock full of stars but they got the very best out of what they had.....
We all know (even the OP) that the early Cloughie (with Taylor) is the correct answer :thumbsup:

Although I ABSOLUTELY LOVE @Kosh's idea of Colin Wanker as England manager :lolol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
International management is about likability with players as much as tactical awareness. I'm not a fan of the idea that Clough would have cut it.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
George Raynor:
Won the 1948 Olympics with Sweden and followed it up with a bronze in 1952, 1950 World Cup bronze with Sweden (despite the Swedish FA banning all professionals from participating) and then when he returned he helped Sweden to a silver medal in World Cup 1958.
Four international medals in 10 years, very few managers could compete with that.
Played for and managed Aldershot reserves.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Although he was England manager, I feel Glenn Hoddle was the England manager we didn't have for long enough. Thought that team would have gone another step had he stayed for another couple of tournaments.
In the very same vein, I nominate Terry Venables.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A representative sample of English football fans, as they always know better

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's got to be the greatest living human – let alone manager – to ever have lived: Saint Bielsa. If he turned Ben White into one of the world's best players in a few weeks, just think what he could do with a whole squad :moo:

Alternatively – depending on the criteria – Sir Alex 'Alec' Ferguson? Or whoever is deemed the managerial GOAT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here