Whose leg did Paul Clark break ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My god! I'd forgotten that. My parents used to have a stand at Bolney Market... I remember the shock of going to Bolney and seeing the mess. Don't remember it as the same time though.

Started in the kitchen whilst we were in the bar so got another round in; then out to the car park to wait for the army to arrive as there was a fireman's strike at the time. They were ages getting there by which time the roof was alight and the entire place ended up wrecked. One of my mates worked for the Pru or similar at the time and reckoned it was arson; from memory it was years before the place was rebuilt. Think it would have been either the 77/78 or 78/79 season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Started in the kitchen whilst we were in the bar so got another round in; then out to the car park to wait for the army to arrive as there was a fireman's strike at the time. They were ages getting there by which time the roof was alight and the entire place ended up wrecked. One of my mates worked for the Pru or similar at the time and reckoned it was arson; from memory it was years before the place was rebuilt. Think it would have been either the 77/78 or 78/79 season.

If it was the same day as the Orient game it was 17 December 1977.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

That would sound about right as I stopped going to Bolney around 1979.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ditto.

Who remembers his winning goal away at Orient? A cracking shot from about 30 yards.

Was that the game we had one side of the ground and the other side which housed Orient fans looked like a large cow shed? Ralph Coates playing for them and Martin Chivers playing for us. My only doubt is that I thought we drew?

On another note the time is drawing near when I'll need to hand over £50.00 to you/REMF I fear :(

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Was that the game we had one side of the ground and the other side which housed Orient fans looked like a large cow shed? Ralph Coates playing for them and Martin Chivers playing for us. My only doubt is that I thought we drew?

On another note the time is drawing near when I'll need to hand over £50.00 to you/REMF I fear :(

Oh yes...unless there's a complete collapse in the next few weeks, I think my money's safe.

We definitely won the game where Tank scored the screamer (and Chivers wasn't playing). I think you're thinking of the 3-3 game the following season where both Chivers and Clark scored.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Was LIL Fusillo & i don't think the origional 'Tank' will be too worried.

Just realised that this isn't quite right.

The first player I remember being called Tank was Ian Goodwin, some years before Paul Clark acquired the monicker.

But I'm sure it's a soubriquet that has adorned several Albion players.

The first player I remember being called Tank was Ian Goodwin, some years before Paul Clark acquired the monicker.

I'd forgotten about Goodwin too - however, Paul Clark is without doubt the 'Tiger' of the Albion Panzer Corps.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

what is a soubriquet?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
was it his goal at the orient that caused teddy Maybank to jump up in the dugout and knock himself out.

or was that the martin Chivers goal?

and was Alex Dawson called the tank also?

Mr Albion

Nov 7, 2003
brighton
another player Tank broke the leg of

...was Peter Allen an Orient legend. He joined us when we sponsored the ball for the Orient game and told me himself as Tank had come up in conversation about the dying art of the tackle. I felt bad for him as it ended his career. He was phelgmatic though, said it was just a tackle that caught his standing leg.
nice bloke. PS Loved watching Clark play. Was it my imagination or did we all chant Tank tank tank when he was beginning a 20 yard run up to jump on someone?

I remember the crack and the Orient goal......when the big bearded one let fly you were just waiting for the net to ripple. I'm pretty sure he was the major influence for me to grow a beard as soon as I could.

I soon learnt the error of my ways.

Sorry Butts but there IS and always will be only one TANK. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Can still hear the crack today (I was in the NW terrace)

Lil Fuccillo Lands Chief Scout Position
By - 21/03/2008 06:24
Rumours from St James' are suggesting that the former Luton manager has been appointed Chief Scout.

Confirmation should come from Newcastle today as the deal looked to have been complete yesterday.

Who is he?

Fuccillo has scouted for Peterborough, Everton and, most recently, Leicester City. He spent most of his playing career in midfield at Luton Town 27 goals during his time.

He has been associated with Peterborough, which is where I got the following profile from, so thank's to Uptheposh.com.

Fuccillo was born in Bedford to Italian parents and joined Luton Town from school. He established himself in the Hatters' line-up, and there was even talk of a call-up to the Italian national team. Disaster struck, however, when a tackle by Brighton and Hove Albion's Paul Clark shattered his leg.

Fuccillo was to suffer further heartbreak as he broke his leg for a second time during his comeback match for the Luton youth team. He did manage, eventually, to regain his place in the team and played an important part as they won Division Two in 1982. He didn't last much longer at Kenilworth Road, however, as he left for the United States of America to play for the Tulsa Roughnecks for a season following a contractual dispute.

He then joined Southend Utd, before John Wile brought him to London Road. He helped Posh get to the 5th round of the FA Cup in 1985/86, had a brief spell as caretaker manager in 1986/87 prior to Noel Cantwell's return to the club, but was released during the summer of 1987.

He played briefly for Malta side Valletta before short spells at Cambridge Utd and Kettering Town. He finished his playing career at Isthmian League side Wivenhoe Town. Chris Turner brought him back to Posh in 1991 as his assistant manager, and had an unsuccessful spell as manager when Turner became chairman.

He joined Barry Fry at Birmingham City as coach, and then moved back to London Road to be his assistant. His third spell at Posh did not last long, however, as Fry sacked both Fuccillo and coach Mick Halsall in December 1996 as an economy measure.

Fuccillo had spells as a scout for Sheffield Wed. and as John Still's right-hand man at Barnet, but in November 2000 he returned to Luton Town as a scout.

A week later he was promoted to assistant manager, but, with the club at the foot of the league, Ricky Hill was sacked within weeks so Fuccillo then stepped up into the managerial seat. Following an unsuccessful reign, Joe Kinnear was brought to the club in February as Director of Football, but took it upon himself to replace Fuccillo as manager as well. Surprisingly, Fuccillo remained at Kenilworth Road as a coach until the end of the season.

Their third manager of the season, however, was unable to save the club and Luton were relegated to the basement division for the first time in 1968.

During the summer of 2001 he joined United Counties League side Wootton Blue Cross as a coach for former Watford and Cambridge Utd player John Taylor, making an immediate impact with the team starting with a ten-match winning sequence.

After a season Fuccillo linked up with Posh for a fourth time as a scout, but again this spell did not last long as he moved to perform a similar role with Premiership side Everton, combined at the start with some part-time coaching at Taylor's new club St Neots Town. He was reunited once more with Taylor as he began the 2006/07 season as a coach at Ryman League side Arlesey Town, but in November 2006 joined Leicester City as chief scout.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Also hard on his cars. He had a newish Ford Capri that he drove into the Goldstone car park at speed, misjudged the maneouvre, hit the wall, got out and walked away without even checking the damage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports