[Albion] Whose fault is this whole "not scoring goals" thing?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whose fault is this whole "not scoring goals" thing?

• 100% Potter

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Mainly Potter

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • Potter and the players equally

Votes: 92 36.9%
  • Mainly the players

Votes: 78 31.3%
  • 100% the players

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Ridiculous question you ****

Votes: 21 8.4%

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
#BrunoOut
If it is actually Bruno then whoever gave him that job is too blame. Love the guy but I am sure his skills can be out to better use. I am also sure there are better attacking coaches out there.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Of course it's a combination of many things but overall the players are woeful in shooting accurately, this season isn't the first time we've seen that either.

Passing has improved under Potter but our intensity and pace is missing hence we are ineffective in getting into the opponents last third with only the goalkeeper and possibly one or two defenders to beat. Usually by the time we arrive near the goalmouth their whole team has got between us and the goal :facepalm:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Shirley, bearing in mind this is a 'Who/what to blame' type thread on NSC it's scandalous that there are no poll options for Boris, Tony B Liar or the 'B' word? Poor show by the OP, whoever that was.....

..........Oops.

Whatever era you choose, it’s always mainly the manager, particularly if a manager has been at the club for a little while as he will have brought many of the players in

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whatever era you choose, it’s always mainly the manager, particularly if a manager has been at the club for a little while as he will have brought many of the players in

But that's not how it works here.

Here the recruitment guy specifically brought in by the coach has worked with The Amazing Dan Ashworth, "like 100 other guys" and the world's greatest spreadsheet to bring us some players who are just good enough to loan to The Championship or Belgium.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The recruitment team, the coaches who seem to be teaching our players how not to shoot, Tony a little bit for thinking we can get top 10 on the cheap and maybe us the fans. We have a really good away record, yet terrible home. Is it the expectation? Is it us constantly moaning during the game? We do seem to pick up our play when the fans do get louder, so that could be a part of it.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Shite recruitment.

10 transfer windows, 5 years and at least £250m spent, yet unable to sign strikers or midfielders who are calm when presented with a chance.

Which brings the interesting question - Was Dan Ashworth really all he was cracked up to be ?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Whose fault is this whole "not scoring goals" thing?

Shirley, bearing in mind this is a 'Who/what to blame' type thread on NSC it's scandalous that there are no poll options for Boris, Tony B Liar or the 'B' word? Poor show by the OP, whoever that was.....

..........Oops.

Well you can blame Brexit for the choice of just players or manager. Everything is binary these days and will be passionately argued either way with no hope of changing minds, regardless of facts usually too! [emoji23]

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which brings the interesting question - Was Dan Ashworth really all he was cracked up to be ?

Also wondering - was/is the DA/GP overriding strategy for all our teams (all age levels) to play like ManC?

On paper, virtuous. But probably hard to achieve on a fraction of their budget. In terms of being able to sustain that across 90 minutes and 38 games, score and win. Against increasing numbers of opponents who are splashing vast sums on quality players from across the world.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
It's Potter and the players equally for me.

We're currently taking a water pistol to a sword fight. The recruitment team are the armourers and Potter is the second who agreed to it and came up with the tactic of squirting them to death.

Yeah, but who doesn't like a squirter when you start waving your sword around? And there's the chance of actually scoring.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
A predictable, money sodden procession of a league (not just here, but here is worst) which puts such a high price on top class strikers that a few clubs have all the good ones either playing or warming their bench while the rest have to make do with the leftovers.
And when one of the 'smaller'clubs unearth a great striker he is immediately bought by one of the top clubs to warm the bench.
Transfer cap, salary cap and a US style draft system would sort it.

So the players, but it isn't really their fault. Certainly not Potter, he's doing his best with what he can obtain: this may be a lot more difficult now disgusting thug state money has bribed a truly great recruiter to leave.

And no, I won't either stop going, because I love the Albion as much as in 1997, or stop going on about this, because it stinks, and one day it will change, probably about the same time as the climate crisis impacts everyone's daily lives, even those of the super-rich.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
It is mainly the players fault and probably mostly to do with belief and psychological mindset. But you could argue that the Manager/coach is ultimately responsible for that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Except this era, because it doesnt work that way anymore. Times changed.

But that's not how it works here.

Here the recruitment guy specifically brought in by the coach has worked with The Amazing Dan Ashworth, "like 100 other guys" and the world's greatest spreadsheet to bring us some players who are just good enough to loan to The Championship or Belgium.

Indeed Macaulay is part of a team of a 100 (which is a small number compared to most PL clubs) or so people working in recruitment.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I'm surprised Ashworth is not on that list? Yes he has done some good things for us but if it is his philosophy to focus on getting up and coming, high resale youngsters at the expense of splashing out more on ready made options for the Prem, then I will put some of the blame on him.

However, overall I think the recruitment team are not the best at unearthing attacking players. Maybe they are missing an algorithm or something around being calm under pressure when in front of goal!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports