[Albion] Whose fault is this whole "not scoring goals" thing?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whose fault is this whole "not scoring goals" thing?

• 100% Potter

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Mainly Potter

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • Potter and the players equally

Votes: 92 36.9%
  • Mainly the players

Votes: 78 31.3%
  • 100% the players

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Ridiculous question you ****

Votes: 21 8.4%

• Total voters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hence why probably everyone including opposition managers speak highly of him.

But managers have said that when we have beaten them (Pep) and beat them + come back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 at Anfield (Jurgen) both times - so its a bit silly / cheap comment isn't it

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its not that for me, I guess he has to say that, what irks me is saying how pleased and proud of the players he is after a great performance which clearly was substandard, because we didn't score and either lost or drew against the worst team in the division.

thats's not a winner its a nice guy making up the numbers.

you can't imagine Viera saying anything like that, or Gerrard or Lampard.

Nope... if his team lose 3-0, he blames the ref and says his team was better

'It was the performance of the referee. I was really disappointed with the way the team has been treated on the field today.'

It’s difficult because we played some good football and created a number of chances to win that game'

Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard likes to go in front of TV cameras and throw players under the bus when they lose. Because they are winners or because they are vain and trying to make themselves look better? The answer probably depends on what your narrative is.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It was said on the Totally Football podcast that we have had 101 shots since our last win, scoring once. There was also mention of it reaching such outlandish levels that we may want to consider urinating in the corners of the ground. I remember Barry Fry doing it to try to lift a hex off Birmingham. I suspect that if we were to look at this as an option, we may attempt it from the centre circle through a crowd of defenders.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
As fans , we all pretty much knew we would have the same issues scoring. The rhetoric around recruitment from TB/PB + GP was we are looking to improve what we have as the answer lies within.

Therefore GP has to take most the blame as hasn't really improved as expected in this area

Guess it then can be argued if what he's working with are all at their max , in which case recruitment the issue

For me , Potter is accountable due to the length of time this has been happening

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I've answered equally GP and the players.

It has been a long time since watching our shooting drills before the game hasn't been anything less than shocking. This is reflected in our shooting during the game. This has needed to be addressed a long long time ago by the coaches and the players themselves.

Free kicks outside the box prime for shots into the net. You sh yourselves when it's the opposition but know we're not going to get close to scoring. Have we ever scored one in the premier league?

These can be practiced to improve at any level, just ask Beckham.

Also I think the players need reminding on what we are trying to achieve by GP's style of play. The amount of times now we create good opportunities and we don't follow through with it, turn back and recycle the ball.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah, Potter keeps telling us he's "happy with what we've got" in terms of strikers, which means he must be easily pleased. I must say, every time I hear Potter give a post-match interview, my respect for him declines.

His personality is that of a team player, a conciliator, loyal.

Antonym: Poyet, Mourinho.

He’d naturally work with what he gets.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've answered equally GP and the players.

It has been a long time since watching our shooting drills before the game hasn't been anything less than shocking. This is reflected in our shooting during the game. This has needed to be addressed a long long time ago by the coaches and the players themselves.

Free kicks outside the box prime for shots into the net. You sh yourselves when it's the opposition but know we're not going to get close to scoring. Have we ever scored one in the premier league?

Two, I think. Groß at home to Everton, in a 3-2 win, plus Dunk at Anfield while the keeper was stood by one post lining his wall up.

Of course it would be three, but for Lee Mason's ineptitude.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"Come on Kyle, come and be part of a great 100 strong Borg hive mind"

"But actually, I'm quite senior here"

"Yes, but Swansea's a shithole and Daniel James is definitely off this time"

"Good point, well made. Where do I hook in?"

Quite senior in Swansea? They've worked together for 10 years since Macauley joined the Östersund staff.

"Well, I'm off to Brighton and I'm bringing Billy and Björn with me but you can **** off."

Why would he do that? Macaulay has a dirty good CV so of course he wanted to bring him along. Obviously Kyle had a smaller role in Swansea than in Östersund and a smaller role in Brighton than in Swansea, but it appears he is pretty good at what he does.

Again I'm not sure why you're pointing out Kyle as a problem in recruitment when he is one of a lot of people working with it. I guess it is similar to how you thought the bad form in spring 2019 was because Dan Ashworth joined. You always need a scapegoat as your gigantic ego fools you to believe that one guy (usually you but when it comes to Brighton you have to find someone else) is all that matters.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Possible. Think he has said it repeatedly though, (close your eyes GB) indicating that the quality of your squad has some kind of relation with the results on the pitch.

Obviously the quality of players has a large bearing on it. I've never said different. I've gone for "Potter and the players equally" on this poll, as have many others.

But it is nowhere near as simple as you make out (as usual).

Firstly there are outliers. Leicester City did not have the best players in the Premier League when they won it. West Ham do not have the sixth best squad in the current PL. Everton are underachieving.

And, crucially, it's in our past. Twice we've won League One in living memory and neither time did we have the best squad. Once we basically enhanced our League Two winners but were lucky enough to have a goal machine in Zamora. Then in 2011 we had what now looks like an incredible forward line of Murray, Barnes and Wood but all were young and nowhere near PL players. Probably the biggest factor in that team was the holding of either Kishishev or Bridcutt. Either way we had nowhere near as good a squad as Southampton or Huddersfield.

And that's what Bloom seeks to do. State the bleedin' obvious all you like but TB's plan, to me, is to buck the trends as much as possible, To get a top ten squad without paying top ten money using coaching and the development of young players. He knows we can't compete financially or sign Grealish or Jota so we're not trying to.

Finally, I repeat the point I made to you a while ago. Liverpool v City in a one off game, both teams at full strength but Liverpool coached by Klopp and City by my dead old nan. Liverpool wins 9 times out of 10.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
written 1/12/21

BHA are misrepresented in the tabloids.

Style: defensive possession football, selective pressing
Strengths: playing their way out of the press, restricting the opposition creating chances
Weaknesses: finishing off chances, inability to counter attack successfully

A bit more defensive than the pundits mention.

Class players: Dunk
Useful players: Trossard, Veltman, Webster, Bissouma

Formation, very flexible 3-5-1-1 (I can't understand it, but it seems to work, not sure why?)

Addenda: the shooting is not good enough through lack of technique without pace to make up for it with March, Maupay and a few others.

which puts the blame on recruitment as well, pre-Ashworth

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Potter and the players for me - players at this level should have some sort of composure in front of goal but maybe we have to also look at the attacking play and what they are being coached which is down to the manager and coaches.

We are often to slow in the build up and try to look the perfect goal to often, that must be down to the coaching

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hence why probably everyone including opposition managers speak highly of him.
Just once in a while I would like to see, some anger or at least frustration, because frankly that is how I feel, and I am but a humble fan.

If you've watched his press conferences pre and post match in the last month or so, read his programme notes, or watched him on the pitch - then you'll see obviously a very frustrated manager.
he's fed up with the results, frustrated we're not scoring and has said so repeatedly.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's the fans fault for not singing our hearts out for 90 mins despite drab, boring, productless performances and moaning a bit.

It's all our fault :down::cry:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Obviously the quality of players has a large bearing on it. I've never said different. I've gone for "Potter and the players equally" on this poll, as have many others.

But it is nowhere near as simple as you make out (as usual).

Firstly there are outliers. Leicester City did not have the best players in the Premier League when they won it. West Ham do not have the sixth best squad in the current PL. Everton are underachieving.

And, crucially, it's in our past. Twice we've won League One in living memory and neither time did we have the best squad. Once we basically enhanced our League Two winners but were lucky enough to have a goal machine in Zamora. Then in 2011 we had what now looks like an incredible forward line of Murray, Barnes and Wood but all were young and nowhere near PL players. Probably the biggest factor in that team was the holding of either Kishishev or Bridcutt. Either way we had nowhere near as good a squad as Southampton or Huddersfield.

And that's what Bloom seeks to do. State the bleedin' obvious all you like but TB's plan, to me, is to buck the trends as much as possible, To get a top ten squad without paying top ten money using coaching and the development of young players. He knows we can't compete financially or sign Grealish or Jota so we're not trying to.

Finally, I repeat the point I made to you a while ago. Liverpool v City in a one off game, both teams at full strength but Liverpool coached by Klopp and City by my dead old nan. Liverpool wins 9 times out of 10.

Yeah Leicesters win was a great thing. It was seven years ago and a lot has happened, but indeed it can always be used as a stick to beat the management of any of the 91 clubs in the league system not winning the PL.

Of course TB wants Brighton to overachieve as that is necessary in order to reach higher positions. Overachieving in League One or Two where the differences in budgets and quality is smaller is one thing however, in the Premier League it is a different fiver. But the plan is to get there and it may or may not happen, the odds certainly speak against it.

You may be right about the Pool vs City scenario but I'm fairly sure that City would reach a top 4 position with you or your dead old nan. World class players are not going to lay down in a fetal position not knowing how to play football just because someone isnt telling them what to do. Obviously in the long run their physical ability would deteoriate but for a season it'd be fine.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah Leicesters win was a great thing. It was seven years ago and a lot has happened, but indeed it can always be used as a stick to beat the management of any of the 91 clubs in the league system not winning the PL.

Of course TB wants Brighton to overachieve as that is necessary in order to reach higher positions. Overachieving in League One or Two where the differences in budgets and quality is smaller is one thing however, in the Premier League it is a different fiver. But the plan is to get there and it may or may not happen, the odds certainly speak against it.

You may be right about the Pool vs City scenario but I'm fairly sure that City would reach a top 4 position with you or your dead old nan. World class players are not going to lay down in a fetal position not knowing how to play football just because someone isnt telling them what to do. Obviously in the long run their physical ability would deteoriate but for a season it'd be fine.

Here's the link to Southampton's squad (that we finished ahead of).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–11_Southampton_F.C._season

I'll pick out a few highlights for you. Jose Fonte, Morgan Schniederlin, Adam Lallana, Ricky Lambert, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. And we beat them over the course of a season from a tiny athletics stadium, inspired by Gus Poyet's coaching and the experience of Kishishev.

Quite Ostersunds like really.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I'll pick out a few highlights for you. Jose Fonte, Morgan Schniederlin, Adam Lallana, Ricky Lambert, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. And we beat them over the course of a season from a tiny athletics stadium, inspired by Gus Poyet's coaching and the experience of Kishishev.

At that time using accounts I worked out the League One spend.

From memory we walked the division with the 6th biggest spend. Poyet’s continental style of play right to final whistle wore out and bamboozled everyone, with some great signings by Slade/Poyet.

Stains payroll cost was literally several times ours, Lambert cost £1m I think, they cheated.

Cnt Atkins, with an embarrassingly huge ego, massively underperformed.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Potter and the players for me - players at this level should have some sort of composure in front of goal but maybe we have to also look at the attacking play and what they are being coached which is down to the manager and coaches.

We are often to slow in the build up and try to look the perfect goal to often, that must be down to the coaching

no way i'm having that moosh , there's a guy in the foothills of Tibet who's taken his foot off the snow leopards bawl bag ....gotta be that geeza , there can be no other reason apart from the fact that the morale of the team has been banjaxed by the Geordie cants , pinching our DOF (W) , numerous teams chasing our midfield dynamo , and basically our entire squad losing the mojo , there really can't be any other reason , ta ta Bissouma , we loved you to bits but if ya wanna **** off then **** off.....you aint been here long enough to get hero status so just **** of and if yer Belgian mate wants to go then take him with ya too .....side show bob ...?? ta ta amigo .....go on , all jog on and fill Tony's wallet and when the balance sheet is right then you will see us on a level playing field , scuse me if you think it's a rant , it could be but **** it anyway , sooner this seasons over the better.:albion2:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yup, clearly beat the odds. Or clearly, I havent seen all those Saints and Brighton players but certainly seems like it. And that is possible to do sometimes, every year you'll find two or so PL teams doing what they "shouldnt be doing" - worse or better than the budget indicates. But expecting to be exceptions rather than hoping for it is expecting too much.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
At that time using accounts I worked out the League One spend.

From memory we walked the division with the 6th biggest spend. Poyet’s continental style of play right to final whistle wore out and bamboozled everyone, with some great signings by Slade/Poyet.

Stains payroll cost was literally several times ours, Lambert cost £1m I think, they cheated.

Cnt Atkins, with an embarrassingly huge ego, massively underperformed.

Spot on. A great example of good coach's team outperforming bad coach's.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But expecting to be exceptions rather than hoping for it is expecting too much.

I don't disagree with that at all. However, I do expect us to score more than two goals at home in three months and a week. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports