[Football] Who’s not watching the World Cup?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think it's right that this thread is now being stamped on by smug, irritating comments by posters that seem to have all the time in the world on their hands. The run-up to Christmas is absolutely manic in my job. I barely get twenty minutes a day to look at NSC in the week at the moment. The block function has its use I suppose.

Enjoy Morocco v Croatia tomorrow or Tuesday.
But it was alright for you to smugly stamp on matchday threads with "HAHA SO GLAD I'M NOT WATCHING ANY OF THIS. KEEP UP THE CRAP MATCHES" every time there was a 0-0 I presume?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blimey, chap. It’s not a post count competition where you constantly have to reinforce your position. The fact you’re missing decent football makes your position stronger, not weaker.

On the other hand, someone who has made an NSC career of reposting nationalistic right wing bollocks, albeit in an almost illegible syntax, posting “come on Senegal” minutes before they were dry humped 3-0 is f***ing funny. Either you’re a patriot or you’re not,
I think you need to go back and re read @Durlston recent posts, seems he is a Southgate and England fan and apparently has been through the shite performances dished up pre WC. Why are you dissing him?

Maybe he has posted bollocks in the past, I’m just going on the last couple of pages of this thread :shrug:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
where did I post about supporting Senegal? It was another member on here if you care to check.
You didn’t - the Moderator made a mistake 👍

(And he originally gave the comment by @Leekbrookgull two :lolol::lolol: so not sure why, from reading back the thread, you got it in the neck!)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Blimey, chap. It’s not a post count competition where you constantly have to reinforce your position. The fact you’re missing decent football makes your position stronger, not weaker.

On the other hand, someone who has made an NSC career of reposting nationalistic right wing bollocks, albeit in an almost illegible syntax, posting “come on Senegal” minutes before they were dry humped 3-0 is f***ing funny. Either you’re a patriot or you’re not,

Er, where did I post about supporting Senegal? It was another member on here if you care to check.

And calling me a racist? That is extremely low. I thought you used to be a good moderator on here but you've shown yourself to be a complete dick in the last fortnight. Please give me a ban. Because I know that's what you really want to do. And I haven't got the time to argue with idiots like yourself.
Unless I've misunderstood, I think only the first line (bolded) was aimed at you, I think the second was aimed at @Leekbrookgull who has always been a bit of a twat, although it's not that clear :shrug:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes, entirely this.
One of the reasons i have not opened any is because i do not want to be tempted to in any way to pass judgement on anyone who has adopted the opposite view to me or to upset them or spoil their day. I do find it a little odd, in my view, that some of those who are watching cannot just be happy in the decision they have made.
Of course, another reason is not to upset myself. Do i regret the result of my decision being that i am missing something that i normally enjoy so much? Yes certainly, without a shadow of doubt. However, and this is the crucial point, do i regret the actual decision and the reasons why i made it? No not at all.
Whatever happens i will stick by the decision i made and bear no ill will to either those who watched from the start or those who changed their mind part way through as i am fully aware of the attraction.
Yep, that's where I'm at.

Finding it very hard, because I love football and World Cups. Mrs Hamilton is being very supportive, but even she's saying she's missing it. It's rather like going cold turkey and knowing that the bottle of alcohol are just there, if you press that button on the remote.

Of course, it's easy to follow results. In fact, I'm getting a taste of what it is like for people who genuinely don't like football. The coverage is wall to wall, with every news channel carrying results. It must be so annoying if you don't like football.

The alcohol analogy is an interesting one, because I have friends I'm meeting up with who behave towards me in the same way that people do when you're trying a dry month. It's all "go on, watch a game", "go on, you know you want to." And what I've realised is that my non-participation is in some small way bringing a tad of discomfort to the surface for them. For example, we all know alcohol is bad for us, we just don't want a mate highlighting it by going tee-total (not that there's anything wrong with being tee-total.)

At the end of the day, I've reached a decision. My boycott won't change anything. But it has changed me a little. I'm doing this for me. I miss it massively and every game is a test. If England get to the final it will be excruciating not watching, but it will be excruciating watching it too.

But, this is our game. It belongs to the people of the world, and I don't blame anyone for watching. I'm also delighted to hear that protests and comments are being made by commentators, teams and fans. Long my that continue. And if that brings change, then that would be a World Cup legacy, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Er, where did I post about supporting Senegal? It was another member on here if you care to check.

And calling me a racist? That is extremely low. I thought you used to be a good moderator on here but you've shown yourself to be a complete dick in the last fortnight. Please give me a ban. Because I know that's what you really want to do. And I haven't got the time to argue with idiots like yourself.
I was talking about Leeky. Try and look up why people break things into paragraphs and use phrases like “on the other hand”.

It’s not all about you on this thread. But I was praising your sacrifice

Are you ok? I think this reinforces concerns others have had.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Unless I've misunderstood, I think only the first line (bolded) was aimed at you, I think the second was aimed at @Leekbrookgull who has always been a bit of a twat, although it's not that clear :shrug:
By “not that clear” who was it that posted “come on Senegal”?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You didn’t - the Moderator made a mistake 👍

(And he originally gave the comment by @Leekbrookgull two :lolol::lolol: so not sure why, from reading back the thread, you got it in the neck!)
The moderator talked about two different people in the same post. It was perfectly obvious who the second paragraph referred to. Durlston good intentions, Leekbrook cheering on Senegal

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The moderator talked about two different people in the same post. It was perfectly obvious who the second paragraph referred to. Durlston good intentions, Leekbrook cheering on Senegal
It wasn't obvious at first reading, I read it as the whole post being about Dulston. Seemed a bit odd until I re read it after Dulston's response.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It wasn't obvious at first reading, I read it as the whole post being about Dulston. Seemed a bit odd until I re read it after Dulston's response.
At what point did you think Durlston had said “come on Senegal” or fitted the description in the second paragraph?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
At what point did you think Durlston had said “come on Senegal” or fitted the description in the second paragraph?
I did think about it deeply enough to scroll back and see who said Come On Senegal. I didn't think he fitted the description but thought perhaps I had missed some posts somewhere (sorry Dulstan).

All I saying is that your post could have been clearer. I.e. writing the name of the poster you switched you attention to.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
By “not that clear” who was it that posted “come on Senegal”?
I agree with @BadFish. I have to say that after a while on NSC, most arguments start because of a misunderstanding of a post (and I didn't think it was that clear :wink:). Or of course someone not prepared to actually take responsibility for what they've said, and then pretending to be someone else (sometimes with multiple 'personalities'), although I really struggle to understand why and don't think I really want to know :shrug:

Bit like real life, 97+% are normal, good people, even when misinterpreted, and <3% are twats 👍

*edit* I'm so glad Twats is back

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yep, that's where I'm at.

Finding it very hard, because I love football and World Cups. Mrs Hamilton is being very supportive, but even she's saying she's missing it. It's rather like going cold turkey and knowing that the bottle of alcohol are just there, if you press that button on the remote.

Of course, it's easy to follow results. In fact, I'm getting a taste of what it is like for people who genuinely don't like football. The coverage is wall to wall, with every news channel carrying results. It must be so annoying if you don't like football.

The alcohol analogy is an interesting one, because I have friends I'm meeting up with who behave towards me in the same way that people do when you're trying a dry month. It's all "go on, watch a game", "go on, you know you want to." And what I've realised is that my non-participation is in some small way bringing a tad of discomfort to the surface for them. For example, we all know alcohol is bad for us, we just don't want a mate highlighting it by going tee-total (not that there's anything wrong with being tee-total.)

At the end of the day, I've reached a decision. My boycott won't change anything. But it has changed me a little. I'm doing this for me. I miss it massively and every game is a test. If England get to the final it will be excruciating not watching, but it will be excruciating too.

But, this is our game. It belongs to the people of the world, and I don't blame anyone for watching. I'm also delighted to hear that protests and comments are being made by commentators, teams and fans. Long my that continue. And if that brings change, then that would be a World Cup legacy, but I'm not holding my breath.
I hope you don't mean me. I hugely respect the fact that you have stuck to your guns.

As you know, I was unsure as to whether I would watch or not, but was too weak willed to follow through with a boycott.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Apparently not because at least 4 people on this thread thought your entire post was directed at Durlston and felt the need to say something- including Durlston himself .🤷🏻‍♂️

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Apparently not because at least 4 people on this thread thought your entire post was directed at Durlston and felt the need to say something- including Durlston himself .🤷🏻‍♂️
But only after he, himself had got it wrong.

It's perfectly possible to talk about a point someone is addressing when quoting them as well as talking about THEM. In fact that's why an awful lot of posts are quoted.

So, to rewind, Durlston posted "I don't think it's right that this thread is now being stamped on by smug, irritating comments" but the only even slightly jocular posts I could find were at the expense of Leekbrook, who'd come on specifically to post an anti-England message.

Durlston appears to be seeing mickey taking where there isn't any, thinking posts are about him when they are not and generally suffering low self esteem - hence me asking if he was ok.

Meanwhile (and we have now moved on to other people :) ) if you're going to jump on a bandwagon at least read and understand the whole thread.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Meanwhile (and we have now moved on to other people :) ) if you're going to jump on a bandwagon at least read and understand the whole thread.
What bandwagon? - you really are a strange moderator trying to initiate conflict all the time - I wasn’t jumping on any bandwagon ! I was replying to you quoting my earlier post that I made to Durlston (before badfish or Watford had even commented!!) - I did read the whole thread before I commented which is how I knew Durlston hadn’t made the Senegal comment, and why it wasn’t clear why you had subsequently launched into an attack on yet another member of this forum- who had made the comment after initially laughing at it - Geez🙄

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What bandwagon? - you really are a strange moderator trying to initiate conflict all the time - I wasn’t jumping on any bandwagon ! I was replying to you quoting my earlier post that I made to Durlston (before badfish or Watford had even commented!!) - I did read the whole thread before I commented which is how I knew Durlston hadn’t made the Senegal comment, and why it wasn’t clear why you had subsequently launched into an attack on yet another member of this forum- who had made the comment after initially laughing at it - Geez🙄
Let’s be clear, there was no need for you to reply at all. I would have cleared it up as soon as I saw his reply - in fact I did. Yet here you are again taking over a thread with your enormous posting rate. Midnight last night and then 7 again this morning. Go for a walk or something

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But only after he, himself had got it wrong.

It's perfectly possible to talk about a point someone is addressing when quoting them as well as talking about THEM. In fact that's why an awful lot of posts are quoted.

So, to rewind, Durlston posted "I don't think it's right that this thread is now being stamped on by smug, irritating comments" but the only even slightly jocular posts I could find were at the expense of Leekbrook, who'd come on specifically to post an anti-England message.

Durlston appears to be seeing mickey taking where there isn't any, thinking posts are about him when they are not and generally suffering low self esteem - hence me asking if he was ok.

Keep Digging.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports