[Politics] Who would have been the perfect leader to take us through this pandemic

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Thanks for the special mention JC

TBH I think if I'd been PM with you as deputy we could have done better than Trolley Johnson, its a pretty low bar though

As a second option, I think if Rory Stewart had been leader ten of thousands would still be alive, need a cool head capable of making pragmatic decisions.

Johnson is literally the worse leader at the worse time, just really weak. Sadly we're not done yet, freedum day just the start of the next phase....

Stewart would have done as good a job as anyone I'm sure. when the Tories were going through their leadership piffle paffle he was the only one with any coherent logical/sensible things to say. Quite clearly he was never going to win!

Not sure if your free-dumb day was intentional, but very good none the less

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
anyone who doesn't divide and rule and put populist policies over human life

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yeh

The skillset needed to "get Brexit done" in that manner is that of ruthless divide and conquer leader who doesn't care if swathes of the people revile him

The skillset needed to control the virus is to bring the country together and make level headed decisions

The moment it hit, Boris should have realised there was no way he could do this and have had some temporary coronation leadership of Jeremy Hunt or someone to get through the crisis. That would require selflessness and self awareness however. But just think of all those tens of thousands of lives which would have been saved.

But if I could choose anyone living in the country to have got us through. Tony Blair. By far the clearest thinker and most effective communicator in British politics.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In a crisis like this understanding the detail must be important. In I think it was the last foot and mouth I heard the tale that with the news breaking the previous evening Brown arrived for the morning briefing fully genned up on previous outbreaks, responses, subsequent reports. I am not saying he would have got everything right - but he would have grasped early on the significance and consequences of action and inaction. Thatcher I think would have been the same. Certainly we would not have seen the same mis-steps being repeatedly taken.

One problem with Johnson is that he apparently (Trump like) takes notice of the last person he has spoken to. And dissenting voices have been removed. And I just get the feeling that he just does not care enough. He does not take enough care.

[tweet]1417387152766296090[/tweet]

[tweet]1417387948127969289[/tweet]

[tweet]1417389618127851520[/tweet]

[tweet]1417390760668848162[/tweet]

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Brilliant!

When I read that I thought "at least we would never be short of treacle":clap2::clap2:

ETA I posted before I read TB's tweets from the medic posted above. Maybe my levity at recalling the Diddymen was somewhat misplaced. Apologies for any offence.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He literally had to be told to stop going to see the Queen early in the pandemic because he might KILL her.

"He's tried his hardest in a really tough situation"
"Like to see anyone else do any better"

**** me.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
He literally had to be told to stop going to see the Queen early in the pandemic because he might KILL her.

"He's tried his hardest in a really tough situation"
"Like to see anyone else do any better"

**** me.

Yep. How low do your standards have to be to trot out either of those lines.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
As a leader - I think Tony Blair or Thatcher would have been excellent - they have been the best leaders (not that that means I support their policies) we've had for over 50 years. Boris is well suited to a thriving economy and bustling location - you can see why he was mayor of London. But a pandemic is the opposite of that and not something he has was ever likely to excel in and he has lived up to that promise.

I would worry about having a more authoritarian leader and the restrictions they might be likely to impose. I don't think Blair or Thatcher were that because they were strong in themselves and didn't need to back it up with authoritarian measures. A weaker leader might have been more likely to impose greater restrictions - perhaps the coalition from 2010 or Gordon Brown.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think it’s quite well known and is detailed in widely available government papers that with help form the U.S she was going to try and settle it peacefully. Handing over sovereignty to the Argentinians if it meant avoiding war.
There is anecdotal evidence of her saying “The Falklands are just not worth the effort”.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I would worry about having a more authoritarian leader and the restrictions they might be likely to impose. I don't think Blair or Thatcher were that because they were strong in themselves and didn't need to back it up with authoritarian measures. A weaker leader might have been more likely to impose greater restrictions - perhaps the coalition from 2010 or Gordon Brown.

I mentioned earlier that of all the PMs in my lifetime, I think Thatcher and Brown would have handled it best. Thatcher because she was a scientist and Brown because he is an arch bureaucrat. They are also the two PMs who have a reputation for being workaholics, also essential to get things done.

The only politician who'd have been worse than Johnson is Grayling, who'd probably have put a ban on Corona beer or something

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports