Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

who went to Brighton / Notts county

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Shit day out. Never a corner, Albion were pony and even the atmosphere at our end left a bit to be desired. The 2004 game was FAR better, and not just because of the result.

I was university in Nottingham, which really didn't help. Funny that the Nottingham Evening Post and Notts County had been appealing to Forest fans to support County at Wembley because of their own pitiful support. And they did. And yet County hate Forest - can you imagine the Argus and our club appealing to local fans of Palace and Pompey to come and support us if we get there in 2013? Extraordinary tinpottageness.

Last edited:

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Yeah I was there for Tommy bloody Johnson celebrating in front of us, I vaguely remember Clive Walker hitting the woodwork with a header too!
If we get Palarse in the semi final, we will all remember it forever!! What a season!

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I was there. i just remember there being so many more of us than them and all they sung was that bloody wheelbarrow song.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I was there,I had just flown back from Moscow that morning and went straight to the game from Heathrow,leaving my then girlfriend to carry both our cases back to Brighton on the train on her own.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Went up by coach with a couple of mates, my main memories,

1) The look on my mates face when he had to pay £9 for 3 bottles of Hoffmeister in the Long bar at Wembley.
2) As part of the pre-match build up they had a penalty shoot out between the 2 sets of supporters (I think we lost that as well)
3) The match was crap
4) Taking forever to get out of the car park and getting stuck for nearly half an hour next to a coach full of gloating Notts County supporters.

Not my best day out following the Albion!

Digweed's Testicle

Build A Bonfire
Jan 11, 2004
Hartlepool
I was there. After also going to the FA Cup Final and replay I remember feeling that I was never going to see us win a major final but that all changed at the Millennium Stadium......

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Funnily enough I remember that and the interviewer having to remind him that he had scored. Apart from Wilkins please can some kind person remind me who else was in the squad that day. I have a vague recollection that Byrne was injured, or had he left by then?

EDIT just spotted mouldy boots post above!!

John Byrne had a knee op about 8 days before the match and was very doubtful as to getting on, even as a sub.

I sat in the Olympic Gallery.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Remember buying a burger outside the ground after the game. A Notts County fan grabbed hold of the Tomatoe sauce just before me & says with a massive smile on his face 'winners first!!'. Misery compounded

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I was 10 and have next to no memory of the day or the game apart from the fact I was 'forced' to leave early so missed our goal, never left a game early since

I was there aged 23.

I have absolutely zero memory of the day other than Walker hitting the post and later trying to nick Steve Cherry's scarf.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I was 10 and have next to no memory of the day or the game apart from the fact I was 'forced' to leave early so missed our goal, never left a game early since

Was there with my Dad who is sadly too frail to go now. This will be the second play off final with my son (if we get there-don't want to jinx it)

Remember having to wait in the car park at Wembley because we were blocked in by County fans who were still inside celebrating.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I was there. Must have been about 9. All I really remember is the kit and leaving feeling disappointed. Still have the flag I bought somewhere too... Went to the Bristol City one too. Hated every minute up until we scored as I don't deal with high pressure, Albion related matches well. The nerves make me sick!! :sick:

If (and it's still a massive if) we get there this time, I'll go, but for my sanity I'd probably be better off in a bunker somewhere avoiding the whole thing until it's done.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Ohhh yes

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sadly,yes.Came back from Australia where I was living at the time.....I haven't been able to look at that big green program since.

Strangely I was at the match and then went to Australia for a year !

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I was a whipper-snapper of 20. I remember one of their goals going in of somebody's back, another coming from a corner that was a goal kick to us, and that horrific Chewitts wrapper kit. Downhill pretty quickly from there, wasn't it? Though, had we gone up, it would have been after a season in which we'd finished with a negative goal difference. After the bedlam of the Ipswich game (Wilkins' free kick) and the thrashing of Millwall, this was, to say the least, something of a let-down.

It just feels like everything's inflated now, though - a final this year, were we to get there, with so much money at stake and the club so much bigger, would be a much larger occasion than that one was. For a start, the other end wouldn't be half-empty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here