Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who still buys a newspaper everyday?

D

Deleted member 18477

Never buy a paper!

Never have time in the morning to read a paper before work. Leave the house at 7 and I'm not getting up at 5 every morning just so I can read a paper. And then by the time I've got home I've already looked at the news online whilst having lunch. Therefore no point in reading one when I get home. I use BBC online for proper news and the sun online for gossip/shit news.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I bought a paper yesterday for the first time in ages and I still haven't read it - I get all the news I need online or on tv.

When I was working I used to buy the Telegraph and the Times every day to do the crosswords without ever actually opening them most days. I used to read a paper when I commuted by train but you can't get away with it when driving the car. Once I retired it seemed a bit extreme to spend over a quid a day to do a crossword so I just stopped.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Increasingly don't buy newspapers - and I'm not alone if you look at the dramatic decrease in circulation of all newspapers in the past 5 years. It is a fact that on rare occasions I buy any paper I realise I've read the news online about 24 hours before.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I buy the Argus everyday at uni as it is only 15p there so its something to read on the bus home plus it's nice to have something to hold and read as I seem to spend half my day looking at screens of some form.

D

Deleted member 18477

I buy the Argus everyday at uni as it is only 15p there so its something to read on the bus home plus it's nice to have something to hold and read as I seem to spend half my day looking at screens of some form.

I've found continueously looking at screens makes me stressed as you never seem to get a 'break'.
Monday to Friday use to consist of constantly looking at phone for no reason at all, using laptop all day for work, watching tv a lot after work, using personal laptop for Internet browsing after work. Obviously I'd cook and do things Inbetween but I never found I got a break as such from anything even though watching tv etc is entertainment.

These days i only turn the tv on if there's something I actually want to watch suppose to just having it on in the background. I always put my phone away from where I'm sitting so I don't constantly look at it etc. I also exercise for at least 30 mins a day after work and don't record so much shit on tv so that I'm constantly trying to catch up.

My life mon-fri has improved dramatically. I did use to exercise before so I put it down to resting the mind a lot more from less 'screen time'.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Still purchase the Independent daily, despite its rise to £1.20 an issue. Quite often i barely have time to read it, but it's a ritual as much as anything, and i treasure having something to throw my eyes over if i am caught standing somewhere and dread the thought of visual contact with any other human. The paper is unfolded and into a world of opinion and mild horror i am thrust, where i feel safer than the world i idle through, sadly. A security blanket muchly, and, perhaps subconsciously, a wish for those i don't meet eyes with to quickly establish that i am open to varied opinion and educated enough to not just dribble over nawks, which on the inside i am probably still actually doing.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
I buy "I" every now and then as for 20p its a decent read.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Just wondering as there are so many other ways getting news nowadays.

I haven't bought a newspaper in years, get all my news from the web.

Buy a Daily and Argus every day and 2 Sunday papers.

Habit, addiction and any useful business news that be helpful for my work etc..are main reasons.
Also when my kids were quite young they used to sit at table and read the Argus. I know it seems strange, but their English reading, writing etc. became very advanced for their ages.

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
i do buy a daily paper, but not the ARGUS i stopped buying it after the way they reported some of our players a while back after the rape aligations,whether guilty or innocent.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Am going to buy a Kindle when I go to USA in July, approx 35% cheaper there than UK, and I will probably then subscribe to a newspaper download. Are many of the nationals available I know some are.

D

Deleted member 18477

I buy "I" every now and then as for 20p its a decent read.

eaxctly..i used to get the indie on a saturday for 1.60 now get all six 'I's for £1.30...nice read i think..and not just the news...films..arts..travel etc

Like I said earlier on this thread I never buy a paper, but seeing as today is a 'free' day I just went and purchased this 'I'...

For 20p I am pretty impressed it has to be said. If I were going to buy one everyday it would be the 'I'.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Argus & Mail
Same here....Mail ,love reading Littlejohns colunm,doing the crossword...Argus,used to work for them in the late 60s,what sells the Argus is having Albion mentioned,if you notice there is always something about the Albion even in close season...yes,I do get the stories online and NSC is usually first with any news....but it is nice sometimes to sit down with a glass of plonk,switch off all the screens and read a paper....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here