Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who lives in a home like these...

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Hi Bill,there were about 23 children,not all in the cinema (under 16s) who were killed or later died in the RSCH.
The films being shown at the time was a double bill, as they were then,....the film that had just finished,'It Could Happen To You'. The film being shown at the time of the hit was...'The Ghost Comes Home'.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The people that live in all those houses are a right bunch of absolute cu-

Oh, sorry Programe_Seller, didn't see your post above.

Tell us, do you or your house hide a dark forbidden secret? Involving a cellar? Or some nipple clamps? Come on, you're among friends...

I do own a pair of leather trousers :wink:

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Hi Bill,there were about 23 children,not all in the cinema (under 16s) who were killed or later died in the RSCH.
The films being shown at the time was a double bill, as they were then,....the film that had just finished,'It Could Happen To You'. The film being shown at the time of the hit was...'The Ghost Comes Home'.

Thanks Bill a good bit of history, shame a couple of posters on here do not understand what our fathers and mothers went through. Just think if it happenened now, would not matter where you lived.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
OK,Had to laugh at some of the comical answers..about 4 of you were close re ww2 bombing...although they were not bombed themselves but were the Addresses of the victims of the bombing of the Odean cinema 14th September 1940,a Saturday afternoon. A Dornier17 was being chased by a Spifire and it jettisoned the bomb load.The bombs fell on Kemp Town Place,Odeon Cinema in St Georges Rd,Upper Bedford St,Hereford St, and Edward St Upper Rock Gardens,one bomb was unaccounted for. 300 people were in the Cinema.52 killed,85 badly injured.
Sorry for spelling Addresses wrong but it was morning and I put too much Vodka on my cornflakes.

This possibility crossed my mind, however I was thrown by the Oxford Road-I've never heard of it. It must be stated that only a handfull of people (3?) died at the cinema itself. Most of the victims were killed in the Kemptown area.

My Dad was a regular at the matinee and wasn't allowed to go that day. Phew!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
This possibility crossed my mind, however I was thrown by the Oxford Road-I've never heard of it. It must be stated that only a handfull of people (3?) died at the cinema itself. Most of the victims were killed in the Kemptown area.

My Dad was a regular at the matinee and wasn't allowed to go that day. Phew!
According to my record of the event the bomb landed by the N.E. corner by the screen killing 2 adults and two children instantly but quite a few passed away at hospital.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Thanks Bill a good bit of history, shame a couple of posters on here do not understand what our fathers and mothers went through. Just think if it happenened now, would not matter where you lived.
Similar people denied the holocaust as well. I did live through the war but was only a toddler,can remember the dogfights over the coast and a bomb fell in our road (Dudley Rd)...where Hollingdean is now was all allotments.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Similar people denied the holocaust as well. I did live through the war but was only a toddler,can remember the dogfights over the coast and a bomb fell in our road (Dudley Rd)...where Hollingdean is now was all allotments.

And which posts denied it?? you've missed the point, identifying the exact home addresses of people that died in one raid acheives nothing. If it did then where is the list of home addresses of the thousands of brave soldiers that died?? where are the blue plaques?? They are rightly remembered elsewhere on war memorials etc NOT at their old address which can/has been demolished & forgotten as is irrelevant

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Rifflebutt Road is the only one I can see for sure that isn't there now. It made way for the marina. There isn't an Oxford Road is there? and I'm not aware that there was.

Riflebutt Rd, I used to live there haven't heard it mentioned in a fair while

D

Deleted User X18H

Really interesting thread. To my shame, I never knew that Brighton had been bombed in the war, let alone a full cinema. Incredible to imagine living through those times.

Seriously? Nowadays of course the Greens would get us an exemption.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
And there was me thinking that they were all site put forward by Lewes District Council as viable alternatives to Falmer.

Sent from my brain using Board Express

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
And which posts denied it?? you've missed the point, identifying the exact home addresses of people that died in one raid acheives nothing. If it did then where is the list of home addresses of the thousands of brave soldiers that died?? where are the blue plaques?? They are rightly remembered elsewhere on war memorials etc NOT at their old address which can/has been demolished & forgotten as is irrelevant
Where on this thread have I said people on here have denied the the holocaust,I just said people have denied the holocaust.
How can I 'miss the point' when I started the thread.The idea was to put over Brighton has a history and no amount of moaning about the wrongs and rights of its history it cannot be changed by anybody, but it is a reminder and there is always a lesson in the past. Do you honestly think I do not know about the brave soldiers,sailors,airmen and merchant navy people who paid with their lives...I lived in those years, through the bombings and lost two of my family and of the other millions that died. I know,I will sit down and write for the next 20 years about the addresses of them all shall I ? As regards people being remembered on war memorials...not so sure with scum nicking the bronze plaques.
Some people did not know about the bombings as proved on here and it does no harm whatsoever to discover about the past of your surroundings.
I have studied military history most of my life and I often get asked about places and their military past.
Just a reminder,this is an open forum,if you don't like what you read you have every right to comment but please make your comment constructive.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Similarly...

Bombing

On the morning of May 25, 1943, the Luftwaffe attacked Brighton in the worst raid on the town of the war. One man has made it his life's work to tell the story of that day. The raiders came and went in just six minutes - but they took a heavy toll.

Twenty four people died and over 130 were injured in the daylight raid. Over 150 homes were made uninhabitable, the Black Rock gasworks were set ablaze and the London Road viaduct was shattered. The raiders dropped 22 1000 lb. bombs, before going on to strafe Kemp Town, Black Rock and Preston Park with machine gun and cannon fire. David Rowland was eight years old on that day and has never forgotten what happened. He and a friend escaped death by a split second after the road they were crossing was machine gunned by a German pilot. "We heard a sort of pitter, patter noise on the road surface. This was the sound of the bullets hitting the road close to where we had just been standing." he said.

Since then the former policeman has spent years researching the actual events of that day and talking to others who were there. One interviewee, Reginald Allam, then 13, had a lucky escape.

A 500 lb. bomb passed through his house in Argylle Terrace before finally bringing down part of the viaduct which carried the south coast rail line. "We were bombed, the noise being like Satan hammering on the gates of hell. The noise was indescribably horrifying and I hope never to hear the like again.." said Reginald.

Reg Fitch, then 14, was trapped in the debris of a bombed shop in Down Terrace. "Neither of us could move and extricate ourselves from the debris. The man wedged in with me was moaning and crying out repeatedly, 'I'm dead, I'm dead'. For author David Rowland, the work of the past eleven years has been about proving that his childhood memories were real enough. He has one other mission - to see adequate civic recognition for the civilian casualties of war. Air raids killed 198 Brighton civilians during the Second World War. "You can look all around the town and there is no reference to the civilian casualties in Brighton - only in a book at St Peter's Church. There is nothing on the war memorial, he said.

Reg was my great-uncle. He embellishes the story by saying that the bomb landed in Campbell Road, bounced, hit the house he was living in, went through the window, up through the first floor floorboards, out of the back window before flying on to hit the viaduct. After the all-clear was given, the chair Reg had been sitting in (and initially refused to move from when the air raid siren went up - "The Germans never hit anything...") had one of the house's main beams going straight through the middle of it.

The pet budgie had died of fright, though the house cat slept through it all, and was perfectly alright. The main victim (in the house) was a ruined cake in the oven.

Thankfully, Reg's mum had dragged him down to the cellar for safety, along with my then two-week old Dad...

D

Deleted User X18H

My Grandfather and my father were in the Coldean Home Guard think my dad helped out as a 13 year old. My Grandad (who wasn't an ARP Warden,sadly) assisted anti aircraft gunners postitioned NE of Stanmer Park. There is something built on this area now I believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here