[Albion] Who is worst Stephens or Webster ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Webster has been fortunate to have Dunk along side him this season as he’s covered a lot of his mistakes. My two lads don’t tend to criticise players, but both of them said, and I agree, that Webster is not good enough and hasn’t been all season. He is too lightweight, is pretty poor in the air and his positioning is dreadful. I’d rather see Balogun, Burn let alone Duffy in that position. However, Webster would not get in most people’s squad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I think the team generally were very poor and had GP held up the no 11 to substitute Trossard all11 would have walked off. To answer the question it was Webster by a considerable margin and until GP realises that he is not good enough at any of the tasks ie defending heading or even his reputed strength passing we will struggle to not concede goals. Having said that Stephens, who I rate, had a poor game.

Stephens was at least playing against an overloaded midfield. Wasnt his best game at all but Webster was terrible at everything including what he is supposedly there for playing the ball out.

His ability in the air is worryingly bad it is so weak.

Stephens was at least playing against an overloaded midfield. Wasnt his best game at all but Webster was terrible at everything including what he is supposedly there for playing the ball out.

His ability in the air is worryingly bad it is so weak.

Incredible they played two strikers up front and outnumbered us in midfield

I can’t recall a worst defensive display in recent years than Webster’s, seems very brittle when things don’t go his way

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Webster had a poor game, but let's not forget that he is young and is learning. Duffy and Dunk are not exempt from sometimes taking a similar kind of pounding against big strong centre forwards. Mitrovic and Chris Wood, from last year come to mind, but D&D came back well in following games and Webster can too.

Don't hang him out to dry for errors. When Dunk was about his age Warren Aspinall was regularly saying that he always looked like he had a rick in him and was regularly picking up cards for silly things. Potter's mantra is all about improvement and I see no reason why Adam cannot learn and improve.

As far as Dale's concerned, its not a conversation worth repeating once again. He is more often than not the player that the rest of the team look to for a pass. Most of the time he uses the ball well. Sometimes, when we are playing in front of a team and are lacking invention, he will be given the ball again and again and some fans will hold him responsible for the situation. It's not his fault that he cannot become Eden Hazard when we might need him to, but he is very often a big part in what we do well. When he is being given more of the ball in attacking areas it is usually a sign that we are struggling to break a team down. Other players looking to him in these situations is usually a symptom that our game plan is not going well, not necessarily a sign that Dale is playing badly. He seems cursed to be a player who can excel week in week out without much praise, but gets noticed only when part of a team that plays badly.

UptheMOOYz

Nov 10, 2019
That's a hard question, because they were both very ordinary. Probably Webster because of his ineffective clearance leading to their goal & nearly causing another. Stephens passing and decision making was pretty bad as well. He also turned the ball over numerous times.

Duffy & Bissouma start next game

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think with the number of games coming up there will be a mix and match from most if not all of the squad to play.

Indeed. I’d probably have those four back for B’muff but we have a quality squad that we should use over the coming weeks. I think some players looked tired.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The Propper - 6 v Arsenal brigade are going to need to make up new numbers for Webster's player rating.

LoL - great post........

I gave him a justifiable 6, I have no way of describing Webster, it was so abject....... but I have my 3 at the ready. The most inept PL performance by a Brighton CB I would suggest.........

Stephens was disappointing, but in no way as bad as Webster.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Its funny how people watch the game. Everyone was awful today but Stephens was far from the worst, in fact according to 'who scored' which takes into account every in game stat he scored the 4th highest rating. A lot of the time he had the ball with no options. The few times he played decent passes into the strikers feet they lost it straight away. Propper, Trossard, Webster, Gross all much worse.

Did you go to the game or do you just blindly defend Stephens on stats? I don’t buy this ‘he had no options’ rubbish - he should learn how to charge at the opposition with the ball at pace, things tend to open up for you (Dunk does this successfully).

Pröpper had a fairly average and dull game but impressed at right back. Groß & Tross were anonymous but that was because Wilder had done an amazing job on Potter’s team in the first half and they simply had no space. None of the players you mentioned were worse than Stephens, click on the player rating thread and you’ll see that most agree.

Whilst I’d agree that Stephens is in a group of players who should currently be considered for POTS, he had an absolute stinker today, only surpassed by Webster. Yes they were all poor but you seemed obsessed with defending Stephens come what may - his performance yesterday was indefensible so just accept it and move on. Every player has an awful performance or two in the locker and Stephens produced his yesterday.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Duffy needs to come back in next game and Bissouma should start. Trouble is whether he replaces Propper or Stephens.

Were we watching different games yesterday? I dont think I saw bissouma make a pass all day, just gave the ball away or kicked it straight out of play.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Webster had a poor game, but let's not forget that he is young and is learning. Duffy and Dunk are not exempt from sometimes taking a similar kind of pounding against big strong centre forwards. Mitrovic and Chris Wood, from last year come to mind, but D&D came back well in following games and Webster can too.

Don't hang him out to dry for errors. When Dunk was about his age Warren Aspinall was regularly saying that he always looked like he had a rick in him and was regularly picking up cards for silly things. Potter's mantra is all about improvement and I see no reason why Adam cannot learn and improve.

As far as Dale's concerned, its not a conversation worth repeating once again. He is more often than not the player that the rest of the team look to for a pass. Most of the time he uses the ball well. Sometimes, when we are playing in front of a team and are lacking invention, he will be given the ball again and again and some fans will hold him responsible for the situation. It's not his fault that he cannot become Eden Hazard when we might need him to, but he is very often a big part in what we do well. When he is being given more of the ball in attacking areas it is usually a sign that we are struggling to break a team down. Other players looking to him in these situations is usually a symptom that our game plan is not going well, not necessarily a sign that Dale is playing badly. He seems cursed to be a player who can excel week in week out without much praise, but gets noticed only when part of a team that plays badly.

The trouble with Webster, it is not a one-off. Awful against Wolves, and has struggled several times when he needed to be stronger physically.

Agree re Dale, but the fact he immediately wins his place back after suspension, and has regularly been 'the first name on the teamsheet' with successive managers should say everything. I've never played a bad pass from the stand.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Webster was terrible yesterday but it doesnt help the defence that we keep changing the back 4 or 3 so often, last season it was nailed on Dunk and Duffy and they were monumental.

I like consistency with defenders and feel they need it too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So, [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION] owns the thread after 3 posts, and yet people carry on feeding the OP (palarse troll?). ??? FFS :wrong::facepalm:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I wonder if Alzate could be tried in the Stephens role to give DS a rest, or even alongside him? The Roar made the point that Alzate is being played in all sorts of different positions just to get him into the side when in fact he would be better playing in midfield, where his future surely lies. And he can run at defences, which Stephens seems reluctant to do.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
I thought our Manager had a very poor game with his selection and tactics
Should have had two up front with pace aginst their slowish centre backs
Was Connolly fit as he made a difference whereas Muzza did nothing

Webster is poor in the air and Duffy is a better defender but GP prefers a ball player- his choice
Stevens was not at his best but same for most of team ( like Ryan) but the whole team was pretty static and slow for DS to pass to.

Concern is one point from 3 home games but hopefully a blip

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Did you go to the game or do you just blindly defend Stephens on stats? I don’t buy this ‘he had no options’ rubbish - he should learn how to charge at the opposition with the ball at pace, things tend to open up for you (Dunk does this successfully).

Pröpper had a fairly average and dull game but impressed at right back. Groß & Tross were anonymous but that was because Wilder had done an amazing job on Potter’s team in the first half and they simply had no space. None of the players you mentioned were worse than Stephens, click on the player rating thread and you’ll see that most agree.

Whilst I’d agree that Stephens is in a group of players who should currently be considered for POTS, he had an absolute stinker today, only surpassed by Webster. Yes they were all poor but you seemed obsessed with defending Stephens come what may - his performance yesterday was indefensible so just accept it and move on. Every player has an awful performance or two in the locker and Stephens produced his yesterday.

Yes I did watch the game. Hes not the sort of player to charge up the pitch, never has been, never will be. Thats not his job. If people really thought Trossard and Gross were better than Stephens then im not sure what to say about that, they never charged up the pitch like you say you want and both gave away the ball more times with a lot less possession. Im not defending his performance, he was awful but others were worse so think its unfair the put more of the blame on him like some have.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010

Spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports