Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who is going to watch Chelsea vs Arsenal today?

Who is watching Chelsea vs Arsenal

• Yes, gonna be interesting, don’t care about the result though

• No, no interest in either team

• Nope, I have better things to do

• Yes Come on Arsenal

• Yes, Come on Chelsea

• FFS why don’t you just move on!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't really get it Swanny. Just don't know where you're coming from.

As a football fan, you support your club through thick and thin for many many years.
You have many lows and a few highs.

Players managers and coaches come and go.

I was absolutely thrilled when Poyet arrived - he made his team into a side that nearly made the Premier League from the bottom of League 1
And I was so pissed off with him with the way he left and totally disrespected my club. That will never be forgotten or forgiven.

Then Chris Hughton - he made his team into a side that was promoted to the Premier League from the bottom of the Championship. He kept them in the league for two seasons. And I was really really pissed off by the way he was removed when Ashworth and then Potter arrived.
Hughton has never ever publicly rebuked our club or fans.

Graham Potter. history will say he did ok. He kept us up and developed the team bringing in youngsters, but didn't do too much better than Hughton until the last year.
And he just may well have earned aome sort of legacy.

But

You need to keep fans onside. Don't rankle them with false platitudes or criticise when things are down even if they have booed the team.
And do not, ever, take the piss, or make sarcastic, narky and childish comments, because it won't be forgotten. Especially after leaving and taking all of the staff with you. Will not go down well at all.

As it appears it hasn't. We're just football fans like anyone else. We support our club in our own way, come rain or shine. We have our heroes and our villains and it will always be thus. Potter could have been a hero like Hughton or Adams or Mullery. But his actions, and then most of all, his comments, turned him into a villain.

It's sad, but it appears that you will never understand this football loyalty.

It's a thing of beauty, getting bounced around in the stand when you team scores on a snowy night away from home or when your team scores a last minute goal to avoid relegation, or gain promotion, or win against Palace.

When that loyalty gets stepped on, as it was with Poyet and now has been by Potter's actions (but more his words since), there's no coming back.

So probably best that you leave it now, and just get on with life on here.

People like Poyet and Potter will always be remembered for the wrong reasons - and that's a shame, but it is what it is.
He doesn’t get it - never will as he’s not a football fan of a club. For him to now be calling all Brighton fans entitled knobs is a disgrace on this board. He just pollutes every thread with his know it all opinions…

Last edited:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
He doesn’t get it - never will as he’s not a football fan of a club. For him to now be calling all Brighton fans entitled knobs is a disgrace on this board. He just pollutes every thread with his no it all opinions…
The kid is a disgeace. A bore. Clearly doesn't have anything to do with his life & Chelsea fans won't entertain him. Why do we? The guy is a loser.

Listen, we've had some guys over the years who have offered great value to this forum. Remember NoobBha? That guy was class and as a bonus knew what he was talking about and still posts occasionally today! But because he built a good rep around here - amongst Brighton fans, we appreciate it.

The Potter sympathiser doesn't offer anything. He knows Potter has f***ed up and posts pointless spam. Can do without him. Will not be missed. Why is he still here?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I really think that's spot on tbh. He's not cut out to manage an established top 4 club used to winning major silverware.

Potters best bet would've been to go to a decent sized 'bigger' club (and that term is so relative), who are outside the tip tier and hope to be in there. Smug is doing that, and he's not spent big yet either. Potter should've been looking at the likes of Everton, Villa etc who are not doing great but have potential.

I think he started to believe his own hype, its Blooms vision that has made Albion what it is primarily and not any specific manager.
I genuinely think he would be managing Villa now had he stayed a bit longer.

Oh well 🤣🤣🤣🤣

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
As was said at the time, Boehly offering that long contract, bring your team, help recruit the Director of Football all pointed to him wanting a long term plan.

As was also pointed out at the time, would the (some may say entitled) fanbase give him that time ? It will be Boehly v Fans with GPot in the middle. It's really not a surprise and It's not a situation I'd fancy being in :shrug:

Maybe he should have asked TB for some careers advice as he seems good at this sort of stuff.

He's the Liz Truss of Fulham Broadway.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"The good news is that Chelsea look like a team with plenty of ideas. The problem is that nobody seems to be sharing their ideas with anyone else."

"Everyone knows that he is learning on the job. But there are times when you wish he would make it a little less obvious."

"The interesting part will be to see whether the right lessons are taken here. Just think how long it took Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal to look remotely competent, let alone capable of challenging Manchester City for the title.
This was Mikel Arteta’s 150th game in all competitions; the last guy to survive that long at Chelsea was 14 managers ago. Potter knows that what he needs above all is a little time, a little patience, a little faith, a little breathing space. He must surely also know that he will get none of these.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
The Potter sympathiser doesn't offer anything. He knows Potter has f***ed up and posts pointless spam. Can do without him. Will not be missed. Why is he still here?

Unfortunately because people continue replying to him and I imagine he loves the attention, regardless how negative.

It seems he’s a bit stuck in a rut, not up to anything constructive at home and this board is where he can socialize/feel moderately constructive.

Does he work?/Did he end up going to Portslade?/Is he in a happy relationship?/Does he have a good social or friendship group in Sweden?

I’ve got nothing against him personally at all, but from viewing his posts over the past year or so, I don’t believe he’s got much of a life going on so NSC is the escape. And his real life negativity slightly spills onto NSC with the occasional snarky and wind up posts.

I’ve reached out to him in the past to have a chat and try and help him out - but I don’t think there was any interest at the time, totally fair enough.

If Swansman is reading, none of the above is supposed to be mean or insulting, but give yourself a kick up the backside and get your life going, always happy to chat and help you out.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There is a chance this becomes a “Moyes at Man Utd” scenario, the downside being that set back the opportunities for British managers at top clubs for a long time, possibly until Potter came along. Real chance it could happen again.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Unfortunately because people continue replying to him and I imagine he loves the attention, regardless how negative.

It seems he’s a bit stuck in a rut, not up to anything constructive at home and this board is where he can socialize/feel moderately constructive.

Does he work?/Did he end up going to Portslade?/Is he in a happy relationship?/Does he have a good social or friendship group in Sweden?

I’ve got nothing against him personally at all, but from viewing his posts over the past year or so, I don’t believe he’s got much of a life going on so NSC is the escape. And his real life negativity slightly spills onto NSC with the occasional snarky and wind up posts.

I’ve reached out to him in the past to have a chat and try and help him out - but I don’t think there was any interest at the time, totally fair enough.

If Swansman is reading, none of the above is supposed to be mean or insulting, but give yourself a kick up the backside and get your life going, always happy to chat and help you out.
Why is everyone obsessed with this bloke? Fundamentally, he's a wind up merchant and he's good at it. Thank the Lord (Bozza) for the Ignore function.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Thanks for the concerns. My life is ok. Nowhere near as good as it was before Covid and shit but I do some work and have lots of friends. No perma-babe at the moment unfortunately.

I don't care much about the attention, it has no intrinsic value. Love the discussions here about life, football, Brighton and other things.

I might have said something less clever in this thread but generally speaking I just discuss the subjects around. Unfortunately whatever I post there's a bunch of people starting to go personal about me, "you've not been around here long enough to have a 50/50 chance of being in a hospice within 5 years, so you know, feel and understand nothing" being the most common take.

I think it is a bit unfortunate as I really just find it interesting to participate in discussions about this team I've followed for years and grown to like (if Chelsea and Brighton play different games at the same time, I'm watching Brighton) and the other things in life and world that this multi-facetted bunch of personalities and opinionators have vividly different, thought-creating and sometimes very... interesting views on.

I can write very normal, non-controversial stuff but I have a little following determined to make it a shitfest every time and then it just spirals. If people don't want things to be about me, the best solution is to stop making it about me, imho.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

I don't get the bloke. He was incredibly helpful with streams for a match a while back and then posts something like that. Mate, you might do yourself a lot of favours if you were sort of non-confrontational. It is a much better "you" if you see what I mean. I was disappointed to see his post earlier more than anything. How can one person be so helpful on the one hand and then lurch to the other end of the "stupid" spectrum?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don't get the bloke. He was incredibly helpful with streams for a match a while back and then posts something like that. Mate, you might do yourself a lot of favours if you were sort of non-confrontational. It is a much better "you" if you see what I mean. I was disappointed to see his post earlier more than anything. How can one person be so helpful on the one hand and then lurch to the other end of the "stupid" spectrum?
Alcohol, weed and loneliness. I like him when he’s sober.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
"The good news is that Chelsea look like a team with plenty of ideas. The problem is that nobody seems to be sharing their ideas with anyone else."

"Everyone knows that he is learning on the job. But there are times when you wish he would make it a little less obvious."

"The interesting part will be to see whether the right lessons are taken here. Just think how long it took Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal to look remotely competent, let alone capable of challenging Manchester City for the title.
This was Mikel Arteta’s 150th game in all competitions; the last guy to survive that long at Chelsea was 14 managers ago. Potter knows that what he needs above all is a little time, a little patience, a little faith, a little breathing space. He must surely also know that he will get none of these.

"Even the singing betrayed a lack of cohesion: while the Matthew Harding Stand began the game with their customary “champions of Europe, you’ll never sing that”, the East Stand plumped inexplicably for the variant: “where’s your European Cup?” A mess."

Huh. So Potter was to blame for the two ends of the north stand singing different songs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"Even the singing betrayed a lack of cohesion: while the Matthew Harding Stand began the game with their customary “champions of Europe, you’ll never sing that”, the East Stand plumped inexplicably for the variant: “where’s your European Cup?” A mess."

Huh. So Potter was to blame for the two ends of the north stand singing different songs.
He's to be thanked for getting them (and the rest of us) in unison last week.

Boooooooooo

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Thanks for the concerns. My life is ok. Nowhere near as good as it was before Covid and shit but I do some work and have lots of friends. No perma-babe at the moment unfortunately.

I don't care much about the attention, it has no intrinsic value. Love the discussions here about life, football, Brighton and other things.

I might have said something less clever in this thread but generally speaking I just discuss the subjects around. Unfortunately whatever I post there's a bunch of people starting to go personal about me, "you've not been around here long enough to have a 50/50 chance of being in a hospice within 5 years, so you know, feel and understand nothing" being the most common take.

I think it is a bit unfortunate as I really just find it interesting to participate in discussions about this team I've followed for years and grown to like (if Chelsea and Brighton play different games at the same time, I'm watching Brighton) and the other things in life and world that this multi-facetted bunch of personalities and opinionators have vividly different, thought-creating and sometimes very... interesting views on.

I can write very normal, non-controversial stuff but I have a little following determined to make it a shitfest every time and then it just spirals. If people don't want things to be about me, the best solution is to stop making it about me, imho.

Good post.
And for what it’s worth, outside of the odd snarky (at least how it comes across) post, your writing on football in general, among other subjects, can often be very well constructed and interesting to read.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm actually starting to feel a tiny bit sorry for him (Potter, not Swansman). Mainly because I think he is actually a really talented coach who was perfectly suited to the project he had - and Chelsea looks like it will destroy that hard won reputation. Should have stayed with us, developing players that will listen to him and being a bit nicer to fans that were largely patient and supportive. If he'd got us into Europe and, say, through a group stage, he'd have taken so much more credibility into the job he's now got and his chances of carrying the fans/players along would have been so much better. It's really Chelsea I want to see crash and burn long term, not Potter personally.

The way I see it, we'd have ended up 13th last season if we'd lost on the final day. There is no way in a million years Chelsea would have replaced Thomas Tuchel with a boss who'd finished 13th with Brighton, rather than 'led them to their best ever position'. So Boehly's "strategy" was heavily influenced by one meaningless match with a knackered West Ham. Nuts.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

You started off well here but you need to reign in the ‘my opinions right’ thing and don’t post on threads you know little about - like historical Albion ones - that’s my advice.

And it would actually be nice now if you declared yourself a Brighton fan! And then you don’t need to discuss ‘us’ in the 3rd person - what do you say?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good post.
And for what it’s worth, outside of the odd snarky (at least how it comes across) post, your writing on football in general, among other subjects, can often be very well constructed and interesting to read.
Agreed. 90% insightful and knowledgeable, 10% twat. Probably like most of us in real life, not just on here :ROFLMAO:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You started off well here but you need to reign in the ‘my opinions right’ thing and don’t post on threads you know little about - like historical Albion ones - that’s my advice.

And it would actually be nice now if you declared yourself a Brighton fan! And then you don’t need to discuss ‘us’ in the 3rd person - what do you say?
I'm gonna need to get there first to express such a massive thing. Not necessarily to a game, but to the city.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here