Votes: 83 37.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 57 25.8%

• Total voters

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Precisely this. How on earth is any manager supposed to turn our current shower into anything resembling a top 6 side?

Poyet built a near as dammit Premier League side, and over the last two seasons everything's been sold or released. We're left with a few kids, some underwhelming signings and poor loans. Hardly Sammi's fault they're not playing like world beaters is it?

Even if he is crap he should have a fair crack of the whip, as things stand that's not the case.

For all this talk of ambition all I see is a selling club that can't attract quality. Perhaps Oscar had all the personal charisma of a serviceable goldfish but if recruiting players is still an issue then we may have to look a bit deeper. Perhaps it's not the fault of the manager and blame lies with the recruitment processes?

Worrying times.

I sort of disagree with large parts of this-i don't think we had a ready made Premier side at all,we have not spent big but we have sold big,we have recruited well,very well and time will tell if we have done so again-the truth is Gus was a draw for players,and was a very good manager,he got the best out of players.

Had we have gone up we really would have had to spend big...and i don't think we need to worry at all,we are in effect starting from scratch all over again as a result of FFP,managerial changes and the squads age all factors,the way we are going about it is exactly the correct way,short term a little worry,medium to longer term we are spot on i think and for that reason,in a perverse sort of way maybe to others,i really am quite excited..

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The Day of Judgement (Sept 1) is looming. So far i can't see any evidence of our best players being replaced with ones of equal ability let alone better. I will hold my tongue as 2 weeks in football is a long time but in order to attract the sorts of players we need, the club will have to bite the bullet on wages. Hope I'm wrong but I can't see that happening.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I said this already on the 'lets talk about Stephen page'; but think what is happening now is something we are going to have to get used to unless/until we get into the Premiership and have an income and bargaining power several trillion pounds more than what we have now.

As far as player recruitment is concerned, if we are in competition with a Premier club or one with parachute payments, we're ****ed. I know that's obvious but such is the difference in resources available, almost anybody decent we are interested in is also going to be of interest to these clubs. They hoover up available players at this time of year which means that we either have to wait until September for their cast offs, get people in from abroad that aren't on others radar screens (Ulloa, Toko. Holla) , or young players they've decided are never going to make their 25s and are willing to let go now (this Tequila chappie from Liverpool). I know its shit but this is the reality and we are going to have to grin and bear it until we grow more of our own.

So given that and the fact we have a new manager only 5-6 weeks in and who wants to change the way we play its not surprising that things aren't too wonderful on the pitch at the moment. So I am not pointing the finger at anyone.......(at the moment!).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
- substitutions weaken the team

Is this hardly surprising given the depth of the current squad. Gone are the draws when under Poyet that we had a quality bench that could actually change a game, and introduce a goal threat.

Other than Teixeira and probably Dunk the other players on the bench are clearly not ahead of those in the team.

This is partly due to the current transfer issues, which are starting to be resolved, but a couple of forwards of high quality are still required. Also being hampered by the suspension of Crofts and the injury to Stevens.

The new tactical approach is still being bedded in, and was explained by Sami at the start of the season as a way of improving our goal scoring record, and this may be the case in the future (or if Ulloa was still here).

I read at the weekend that the average of the Reading bench on Saturday was low something like 19/20 cant recall the exact figure, so others seem to be having similar issues on the bench.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It wasn't intentional, but I don't think there's much doubt that he helped attract players to the club.

Just had a look at the stats for games in the second-half of that season.

In the 26 matches starting from Jan 1, he was included in the squad 19 times in total. He was in the starting line-up 6 times, and named as a sub 13 times (used 5, unused 8). So fairly typical for him to be on the bench.

I stand corrected.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is this hardly surprising given the depth of the current squad. Gone are the draws when under Poyet that we had a quality bench that could actually change a game, and introduce a goal threat.

Other than Teixeira and probably Dunk the other players on the bench are clearly not ahead of those in the team.

This is partly due to the current transfer issues, which are starting to be resolved, but a couple of forwards of high quality are still required. Also being hampered by the suspension of Crofts and the injury to Stevens.

The new tactical approach is still being bedded in, and was explained by Sami at the start of the season as a way of improving our goal scoring record, and this may be the case in the future (or if Ulloa was still here).

I read at the weekend that the average of the Reading bench on Saturday was low something like 19/20 cant recall the exact figure, so others seem to be having similar issues on the bench.

Why would you have players on your bench who are 'ahead of those in the team'? Bit nonsensical!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here