Who do you consider Brighton's biggest rival for second spot?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you consider Brighton's biggest rival for second spot?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's a difficult game this prediction lark. Many posting here were looking at Reading's recent run and questioning whether they could do it against the better teams. Wow were they found wanting. They're still in 3rd, so they can't be ignored, but it's difficult to just ignore their game against Fulham.

It's difficult right now to pick the main challengers for top 2 beyond those that currently sit there, which is of course fantastic news.

I went for Sheff Wed because they were all over Fulham in their match against them and Fulham robbed a point from them at the last minute

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
At a push, us (Fulham). We've beaten Newcastle, Huddersfield and Reading 5-0, would have beaten Norwich but for an appalling penalty decision and are now hitting our stride. We need another striker in January and we'll be in the hunt.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It's a difficult game this prediction lark. Many posting here were looking at Reading's recent run and questioning whether they could do it against the better teams. Wow were they found wanting. They're still in 3rd, so they can't be ignored, but it's difficult to just ignore their game against Fulham.

It's difficult right now to pick the main challengers for top 2 beyond those that currently sit there, which is of course fantastic news.

Indeed it is. What a difference just one game can make. You can't ignore a 5-0 drubbing like that. Having said that, every team has an off day here and there (arguably, we had one ourselves, as did Newcastle). But yes, it makes my insistence that Reading are the biggest threat look a bit presumptive. But then, I did always put in terms of what we'd seen so far. And now we have new evidence.

Given we had a bad round failing to get the win against a relegation threatened Cardiff, have to say results elsewhere went our way.

Reading have to remain a threat despite their result purely on the basis they are closest. But you'd have to feel now that we've got the quality to turn them over when we meet, and that makes the current 5 point gap a lot bigger than it looks on paper.

Norwich have halted their slide with a good win. But now they need to show that they really have turned a corner, and have 9 points to make up if they're to threaten us.

Derby are coming on strong, on a sustained run (but much like Reading's run was, the last 5 wins haven't been against a strong set of oppositions).

Our game against Leeds will give an interesting read on things. Win and we gap them nicely, lose and they look a genuine threat.

The Fulham shout is a decent one, they're in the ballpark and that 5-0 win over Reading shows they can find the net.

Villa ... too far back now? Think it would take a spectacular second half of the season for them, and a meltdown for us; in which case all the teams mentioned above are also very strong threats that we'd be worrying about before looking at Villa.

Plumping for one of the above right now, I'd change from Reading to Leeds as the primary worry. But that's all dependent on what happens Friday.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Sheffield Wednesday on the basis that they are the most likely to have the legs to do it over the season, as they have been good for a while now. Birmingham and Leeds also look good.

I do NOT understand why the majority of people have put Villa. It makes zero sense to me. If we are fighting Villa for a spot it won't be second place, it will mean that we have fallen down the league. It is absolutely not the same as us catching Middlesbrough, they were far out in front and had a wobble. If we have a wobble from here most of the teams on the list will catch us.

But you've gone for sheffield lol, and they're just 3 points ahead of Villa, with a worse goal difference, and they're on the way down while Villa are on the way up. Having watched Villa play recently, seeing the talented squad they have, and how their fortunes have changed since bringing in a new manager, I think it's easy to see why people think they're the main threat.

Yep, I'm feeling more confident in my original prediction :p

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
My original prediction was Derby, although their good run of form has been against weaker sides, including a very out of form Norwich. I personally didn't think Villa or Reading could continue their good form for much longer. But I'm now starting to think Leeds are a genuine threat, and Fridays game could be huge! It's a bit early in the season to be thinking about six-pointers, but the gap is potentially going to be 4 points or 10 points, which could make a big difference psychologically to both teams.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not so sure what I wrote earlier on this, although it definitely included Villa. I would still include Villa, despite their defeat to Leeds and, arguably more importantly, losing Kodjia and Ayew in January. The big question is how many games they lose these two for, as there aren't too many games in Jan, and this will be reduced if they (or, as Villa are playing Tottenham, their opponents in the day of the fourth round) are still in the Cup.
I've always been worried about Wednesday too, and Birmingham as a dark horse. Leeds and Fulham look as though they're developing a head of steam, and they've both got good managers and Fulham have a good squad too. Norwich have to be a threat, but they need to sort their defence out.
I'm less concerned by Reading and Derby, and Hudds are surely on the slide.
Friday night's game will be important in the long run. Win and we're ten points ahead of Leeds, which would put us in a strong position.

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
Other than Newcastle I'd say Brighton's biggest threat for the autos will probably come from either Sheff Wed, Derby or Norwich. Derby are shooting up the table and all 3 have the financial muscle to act in January. Though truth be told I honestly think this is Brighton's year for automatic promotion.

I think Brum, Reading and Huddersfield will fall away, though. There is always one surprise team in the Playoffs and it might be one of these, but I have a strange sneaking suspicion it will be dirty Leeds.... Whoever this mystery team is, I can't see them troubling the auto slots though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep, I'm feeling more confident in my original prediction :p
I never said it was a bad prediction so I don't know why your tongue's out. Spending too much time with apes I imagine.

Last edited:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
At a push, us (Fulham). We've beaten Newcastle, Huddersfield and Reading 5-0, would have beaten Norwich but for an appalling penalty decision and are now hitting our stride. We need another striker in January and we'll be in the hunt.

I'd agree with that, Fulham have hit the ground running, on a great run and certainly worthy opponents. Besides not a bad bunch, so would be happy to see them up......providing. ???

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Zero votes for Huddersfield, who are now the most likely challengers according to Experimental 361

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So it's Villa. Or if not, then Reading. It's definitely not Huddersfield, that's for sure.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
championship-35192156cba4fb70aa64d852ae306745.jpg

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Reading.

Very easy last 4 games, during which we have 2 very tricky aways.

Glad they didn't beat Ipswich.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
that "pick the final table" bears little comparison to reality after the top 4. why would Reading fall away greatly and where on earth would anyone expect Villa of Fulham to pick up so many points from?

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Im hoping Villa are completley out of contention in hope they may give us a bigger ticket allocation

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports