Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you consider Brighton's biggest rival for second spot?

Who do you consider Brighton's biggest rival for second spot?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I think the outcome of today's Huddersfield v Leeds game may answer the question.

Last season, we started well then fell away without dropping out of top 6 and then came back with a very strong push all the way to the end (which other teams would not have predicted in early Feb). Huddersfield have followed a similar path this season and I think they have the best results in last 10 games of any of the top teams, so if they follow our example...

If they play the way they did against us and beat Leeds too, then I think they will be serious contenders for the top 2.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Last season, we started well then fell away without dropping out of top 6 and then came back with a very strong push all the way to the end (which other teams would not have predicted in early Feb). Huddersfield have followed a similar path this season and I think they have the best results in last 10 games of any of the top teams, so if they follow our example...
They'll come third.

;)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Need Cardiff to do the Full Warnock on Leeds, and agent Kaz to take some points off Huddersfield on Saturday.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Touché!

What do you think after today's games though?
I think I can't take much more.

I'd rather be in our position than theirs, but we need to dispatch Burton and Ipswich if we want to keep the pressure on others.
Huddersfield are obviously playing well, but any of the challengers are capable of going on a run or dropping points, you just can't predict it.

We were missing Stephens, Dunk and Baldock today, and came away with a point, which is pretty decent. I don't think we can expect to dispatch teams, we just have to keep fighting for every point and hope it's enough. We also need to hope Stephens and Baldock return from injury for next weekend.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So not one single person on here thinks Huddersfield are a challenge to us for 2nd. Perhaps that was the team were of that view last Thursday

Averaging >2.5 pts per game in the last 2 months, you bet they are a threat

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
So not one single person on here thinks Huddersfield are a challenge to us for 2nd. Perhaps that was the team were of that view last Thursday

Averaging >2.5 pts per game in the last 2 months, you bet they are a threat
Poll was closed two months ago...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's a straight out fight between the top five. The next three aren't completely out of the equation -- as they've got extremely strong squads -- but they'll have to win 14 in the case of :lolol:, and 15 in the case of Derby and Norwich. I don't think any of their managers are good enough to do that.
Newcastle are guaranteed nothing. There are clearly tensions between Benitez and Ashley's hierarchy. The squad doesn't look that together either, and they have been over-dependent on Shelvey and Gayle. Although I wish they'd all go away, and swiftly, Huddersfield, Reading and Leeds have shown their quality and confirmed what an open, exciting league this is. It's going to be a hairy ride.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
So it's Villa. Or if not, then Reading. It's definitely not Huddersfield, that's for sure.

Hey Trig, still some way to go, granted - but that statement is looking a wee bit "ooops, what do I know" just now .....

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing - one wonders why we ever try and predict the future, let alone bet on it ....

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I voted Reading at the time. They have been hanging on to results lately. But they have their 3 main CBs injured now - McShane, Van Den Berg and Illori. All likely to be out for the rest of the month. I suspect they may come unstuck soon.

PG

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Huddersfield have 4 out of the next 5 games away.

Let's not crack open the champagne for them just yet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hey Trig, still some way to go, granted - but that statement is looking a wee bit "ooops, what do I know" just now .....

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing - one wonders why we ever try and predict the future, let alone bet on it ....
I wasn't aiming it at anyone in particular, many of us (me included) thought Villa would do well. What I'm highlighting, if anything, is how much things can change and how difficult the league is to predict.

My biggest bugbear at the moment is people acting like we're already promoted, although even those idiots have been bright enough to keep quiet after the last two games.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a straight out fight between the top five. The next three aren't completely out of the equation -- as they've got extremely strong squads -- but they'll have to win 14 in the case of :lolol:, and 15 in the case of Derby and Norwich.
They need 13 & 14 wins respectively, plus a couple of draws and a loss to get 90 points.

Although I wish they'd all go away, and swiftly, Huddersfield, Reading and Leeds have shown their quality and confirmed what an open, exciting league this is. It's going to be a hairy ride.
Indeed, and not necessarily enjoyable.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not one single vote for Huddersfield? Wow! Guess we all must have voted earlydoors and need to refresh this poll on a monthly basis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here