Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Who burnt down the West pier?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There seems to be quite a bit of history of things in Europe burning down when planning permission isn't granted to build something else on the site. Doubt that applies in this case so possibly an insurance job?

Expanded for you.

A ploy throughout southern European nations is for landowners to illegally destroy precious ecology by fire, for their blocked development plans. Greek authorities have highlighted this this summer.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Expanded for you.

A ploy throughout southern European nations is for landowners to illegally destroy precious ecology by fire, for their blocked development plans. Greek authorities have highlighted this this summer.

I'm assuming that by 'Southern European' you are also including Sackville Road and a whole series of addresses along Kingsway :wink:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We need a west pier photo thread. We must all have some. Great for editing
From 2002
1692210560295.jpeg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It took a fair bit of effort to set it on fire, so it's difficult to imagine it wasn't done by someone who had a motive. But who had a motive?

I really can't imagine anyone in Brighton at the time, that would have benefited from one of Brighton's two piers being completely destroyed :shrug:

I remember the Red Arrows well. I was living in Kemp Town and we were sitting out in the backyard having a beer. They came roaring over really low, very impressive, and a few minutes later there was an almighty Bang (not so impressive). We turned on the wireless immediately to find out what had happened :wink:

Still have a bit of a wooden plank from the West Pier on my kitchen windowsill :down:

Last edited:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
The latest accounts for The West Pier Trust shows a fund balance of £1,783,918.

I know you can't build a full-scale replacement/replica for that amount, but they seem determined to restore and rebuild the main kiosk which has been in storage since its removal in 1996. It would be great to see part of the fabric of Brighton restitched into the seafront somewhere.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
I thought the re arrow clipped a mast on the east side of the palace pier and went down there.
The pier itself was such a waste- great memories of living over the road from it in the winter of 62/63 when is was covered with ice. Sat on the beach with the missus in 2003 watching the rest of it burn. So sad.
I was there and saw it all. A yacht with a tall mast sailed to the east side of the west pier while the Arrows were displaying. As they came in from the west, the wingtip of one aircraft clipped the mast. The aircraft went into a roll over the Palace Pier and crashed inverted into the sea. The pilot had ejected and received a huge round of applause when he was brought ashore. I believe he was Squadron Leader Johnson.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The latest accounts for The West Pier Trust shows a fund balance of £1,783,918.

I know you can't build a full-scale replacement/replica for that amount, but they seem determined to restore and rebuild the main kiosk which has been in storage since its removal in 1996. It would be great to see part of the fabric of Brighton restitched into the seafront somewhere.
I'm not sure what size pier you could build, but with that much money you could create a bloody good fire

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here