Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who are the "15 goals a season" strikers?

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
I think Danny Ings has always been capable of what he achieved last season, he has been unfortunate with injuries, but also with opportunities at Liverpool, if he stays fit, i wouldn't bet against him having a similar season again.

Another player at Liverpool who i think is very capable of 15+ but again is restricted by the quality in front of him is Divock Origi, no idea if he is on huge wages, but it seems Liverpool have been willing to let him go for ages, i'm always amazed nobody seems willing to take him on, i'd personally be delighted if we did, like i said though, could be down to wages.

When we signed Lallana I did hope that he might convince his old pal Divock to follow him down to Sussex. Just what we need.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Based on this, perhaps no surprise that Salah and Vardy are already off and running towards 15 goals.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Throwing money at the wall is no guarantee that a 15 or even 10 goal a season striker will stick. Joelinton, Haller, Wesley, Tosun, Locadia and so on spring to mind. I assume the club are aware of the risks involved and partly why a move hasn’t materialised yet. Wilson has just moved for 20M on the back of a 8 goal season. His best is 14 and has been poor in other seasons. He’s also 29 now. Need to spend money, even on a player as good as the ones we have.

It’s a very difficult task. Good luck to the recruitment team. Last thing I want to see is millions spanked on a failure.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Throwing money at the wall is no guarantee that a 15 or even 10 goal a season striker will stick. Joelinton, Haller, Wesley, Tosun, Locadia and so on spring to mind. I assume the club are aware of the risks involved and partly why a move hasn’t materialised yet. Wilson has just moved for 20M on the back of a 8 goal season. His best is 14 and has been poor in other seasons. He’s also 29 now. Need to spend money, even on a player as good as the ones we have.

It’s a very difficult task. Good luck to the recruitment team. Last thing I want to see is millions spanked on a failure.

A good point, a long list of strikers who have cost similar clubs a lot of money have produced very little. There are 8/9 clubs in a similar situation to us who believe that they are 1 striker away from finishing in the top 10, we regularly see teams spend £20m+ on such players very few of which would be an improvement to us on Gyokeres

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Bouncing this in hope that Maupay continues his trajectory towards 15 goals for the season tomorrow night. Also, as an aside, worth noting that our Neal's 10 goals last season is more that Welbeck has ever managed in a PL season despite having played 30+ games a season for a decent Man Utd team.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This wouldn't matter so much if we got even a halfway-decent contribution of goals from midfield. But there are promising signs that Ally Mac, at least, wants to get into opposing penalty areas.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's not just goals in numbers, although important. There's more to it than that.

NM is missing sitters . . . . that ius a massive problem. However none of our attacking players seem to complement each other, I've never thought NM and AC worked well together, they argue more than assist. too alike/selfish and both average at top level, so far.

we need a Wood/Murray, maybe Zeqiri will get there . . . . Welbeck can do it, IF he's fit.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
It's not just goals in numbers, although important. There's more to it than that.

NM is missing sitters . . . . that ius a massive problem. However none of our attacking players seem to complement each other, I've never thought NM and AC worked well together, they argue more than assist. too alike/selfish and both average at top level, so far.

we need a Wood/Murray, maybe Zeqiri will get there . . . . Welbeck can do it, IF he's fit.

Welbeck is quality. You can see it in his general play, he's a class apart. The issues with him are fitness and the fact he's never really been a goalscorer. Zeqiri is a good prospect but he understandably doesn't look quite ready yet.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Sort of like these guys then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ktmEPWvxo

and every other player

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Welbeck is quality. You can see it in his general play, he's a class apart. The issues with him are fitness and the fact he's never really been a goalscorer. Zeqiri is a good prospect but he understandably doesn't look quite ready yet.

I agree

During the Southampton game Alan Shearer mentioned that Welbeck was making great runs and none of our players were picking him out.The problems lie elsewhere.We need someone to play off him.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sort of like these guys then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ktmEPWvxo

and every other player

Well yes, nobody is infallible.

But PL footballers are in the division they are in because of the percentage of times they can execute a particular skill, passing, controlling, saving a ball.

So a fairly easy goalscoring chance ... Messi might stick in 95% .... A normal PL striker 90% .... Championship 85% and me about 20%.

The consistency of executing particular skills is what gets you up the leagues (well athleticism as well).

Maupay gets stick because he misses chances that park footballers would get more times than not .... he makes up for it with some very tidy finishes from harder chances .... but it's fair to say he is quite a frustrating player

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well yes, nobody is infallible.

But PL footballers are in the division they are in because of the percentage of times they can execute a particular skill, passing, controlling, saving a ball.

So a fairly easy goalscoring chance ... Messi might stick in 95% .... A normal PL striker 90% .... Championship 85% and me about 20%.

The consistency of executing particular skills is what gets you up the leagues (well athleticism as well).

Maupay gets stick because he misses chances that park footballers would get more times than not .... he makes up for it with some very tidy finishes from harder chances .... but it's fair to say he is quite a frustrating player

:facepalm:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
23 appearances inc cup and sub. 3 penalties . . .a goal every 3 games is his average in reality. not 'bad', but given he gets chances served on a plate more often than not it aint great.

Its as good as it gets for teams like these clearly.

Perhaps you can let us know the goals scored and the ratio of goals per game of other strikers in the bottom half of the PL

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
23 appearances inc cup and sub. 3 penalties . . .a goal every 3 games is his average in reality. not 'bad', but given he gets chances served on a plate more often than not it aint great.

Its as good as it gets for teams like these clearly.

they are only on a "plate" if his positioning/running makes it look like that.
And why do penalties not count ? He's often done the running/move in the box that led to the foul.
Its not "as good as it gets" for teams like Albion. He's well up there - but would be even better with more contributions from Biss, Mac Allister, Trossard etc.

Burnley (top scorer -league only - 3)
Fulham (4)
Sheff Utd (5)
West Brom (4)
Wolves (4)
Newcastle (8)
Palace (8)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Perhaps you can let us know the goals scored and the ratio of goals per game of other strikers in the bottom half of the PL

It's not that good.

That's why they are in the bottom half of the league

See the thread about xg league tables

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
ok, he's brilliant

so why are we closer to being relegated than ever before ?

* he'll score a hatrick tomorrow now won't he :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here