Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which unknown Support Act did you see who later went on to become famous

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Plenty of AFTERTIMING and bullshitting going on here.

Absolutely THIS Enrest. A dozen pages, everybody's got an apparently photographic memory for unknown-at-the-time support acts, and not one person, so far as I can see, admitting to going to the bar when the support act was on. Bunch of amateurs :moo:

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Absolutely THIS Enrest. A dozen pages, everybody's got an apparently photographic memory for unknown-at-the-time support acts, and not one person, so far as I can see, admitting to going to the bar when the support act was on. Bunch of amateurs :moo:

Weirdly though, people who love music and bands remember stuff like this, Huggy Bear played at the Richmond on Valentines day 1993 and gave away a free single, I went and that collectors item sold for a lot of money. I can recollect a lot of dates and bands cos I gave a sh*t at the time :)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Mercury Rev supporting Ride - They were (and continued to be IMHO) rubbish, just sounded like one long song intro.

At the Top Rank/ Event ?

I left half way through Ride because they were rubbish. Mercury Rev were magnificent IMHO.

Oh, and I saw Nirvana on the undercard to Tad and Mudhoney at The Astoria.

And less impressively Snow Patrol supporting Grandaddy ...... a year or so later the former were massive (but shit) and the later broke up.

Nathaniel Raitlief (spelling?), 3rd on the bill at a night barely above an open mic thing at The Hope.

Oasis supporting 18 Wheeler at Leeds Uni,

SAC

May 21, 2014
I also saw Big Country support The Jam in 1982. My memory may be playing tricks on me but I seem to remember they were booed.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
not massive but some of my faves.
bluetones supporting charlatans
dogs supporting paul weller
twisted wheel forget who they were supporting think it was Detroit social club

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Totally underwhelming example, but i saw Travis supporting Mansun at the Brighton Centre East Wing. Great gig.

The nme tour gigs at the dome throw up a few as well, but not sure they are really support gigs, Arctic Monkeys before Maxiimo Park then Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, & futureheads playing before the Killers.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Saw The Searchers in Liverpool, support band was Jethro Tull.

Also saw Status Quo, supported by Peter Frampton (then in The Herd) and Chris Farlowe (and that was a Friday night hall of residence social dance!)

And Genesis once supported Lindisfarne at Worthing Town Hall. Couldn't get in, although I could have seen Lindisfarne - lots of people were coming out at half time and giving/throwing away their tickets!

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Oasis supporting 18 Wheeler at Leeds Uni,

I was at this.

Also Nirvana supporting Mudhoney at Leeds Duchess.

Radiohead supporting Spiritualized at Leeds Warehouse

Pulp supporting St Etienne

Supergrass when they were still The Jennifers low on the bill at a Leeds Uni Freshers' Fair

The Cranberries supporting Moose

Primal Scream supporting Julian Cope

Sleeper supporting [the Drop Nineteens?]

Happy Mondays supporting Loop

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Radiohead supporting Sultans of Ping FC at the Wheatsheaf in Stoke in 1992. Bonkers.

Saw the Manics there too in Jan 91- thought they were the support band until they belted out 'Motown Junk'

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
At the Top Rank/ Event ?

I left half way through Ride because they were rubbish. Mercury Rev were magnificent IMHO.

Yes I was at that one.
Completely opposite opinion.
Ride were awesome and Mercury Rev were terrible.
Particularly when the huge fat stoned hippy decided to go for a wander into the audience mid-song and started shambling around like a deranged, stoned, wildebeest.
Very disturbing indeed!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
My wife's just dismissively informed me that the only support act she can remember was someone called Steve Hillage supporting Queen at their Hyde Park free festival in 1976, but as far as she was aware he didn't amount to much.I informed her that I saw Steve Hillage (as it turned out just 3 months later) headlining at The Dome on his "L" album tour.
I had only myself discovered who he was about a fortnight before when I saw him on the Old Grey Whistle Test wearing his bobble hat with christmas bauble pom pom. Apparently he was later quite active in the 90s Dance scene and was influential in establishing the first Dance tent at Glastonbury. Seems he's had quite a diverse career from his early days in Gong, he's also played with such disparate acts as Mike Oldfield, Sham 69, William Shatner and also produced Simple Minds and The Charlatans.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I don't think I've ever stayed in the bar when a support act was on. I'm a tight git and want to get my money's worth ... besides the support act may even be better than the main one. About 10 years ago, Max Richter was supporting Vashti Bunyan and I thought he was superb, I've got every album of his since then. If I'd stayed in the bar I'd have missed him

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Thats was my first gig! Top Rank DEC 1977! We got jumped by teddy boys twice between the station and west street:moo:

It's strange when you think that Teddy Boys posed such a threat in 1977 but they did if you were a punk, but I suppose at the time it was only twenty years after their heyday in the fifties so relatively recent at the time especially when you consider the punk heyday is now nearly forty years ago but only seems like yesterday. I suppose most of the Teds back then were "aging" Teds but probably still only in their mid thirties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here