Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Film Scene has got you. I mean REALLY got you ?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The Straight Story. Alvin Straight sits at a campfire with a young troubled hitch-hiker. Just gets me every time.

If you can spare ten minutes give it a try. It's storytelling of the first order. No action. No effects. Just point the camera at two actors and let them do what they do. Lace in some simple music et voila. Tears. Every time.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
The last scene of Cinema Paradiso when he puts the [spoiler alert] reel of film on that the projectionist has left him to him after his death and its a montage of all the silent movie kisses that the cinema boss had made him censor from the films. Plus Ennio Morricone. Pass the Kleenex please, and not for that reason either.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
And most of all when Andrew Lincoln turns up outside Keira Knightley's house after she's got married, and uses the cardboard signs to tell her he'll always love her even though he knows they can't ever be together :cry:

I love the film and I agree about all of the tear jerky moments but the last time I watched the Keira Knightley/Andrew Lincoln scene you're talking about I suddenly thought "what if the bloke had answered the door?"

A punch up in the street I suppose...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Straight Story. Alvin Straight sits at a campfire with a young troubled hitch-hiker. Just gets me every time.

If you can spare ten minutes give it a try. It's storytelling of the first order. No action. No effects. Just point the camera at two actors and let them do what they do. Lace in some simple music et voila. Tears. Every time.

Beautifully shot film. The ending gets me as well, not a lot of dialogue required as the view knows exactly what is being thought.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
Pay it Forward with Helen Hunt, Kevin Spacey and Haley Joel Osment.

The ending, after the kid is killed, is a challenge to stay dry eyed.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
(The Straight Story) Beautifully shot film. The ending gets me as well, not a lot of dialogue required as the view knows exactly what is being thought.

Completely agree. So many films would have dissolved into soaring strings in the soundtrack and a tear sodden finale. Not this one though. Hardly a word is said and it's all the more beautiful for it.

I'm going to need to watch it again now.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

2 minutes in. The kid that has not talked for years following the loss of his father utters those first words :tantrum:

Great thread by the way US.

Edna- I like the fact that Andrew Lincoln knows he has to let go and says 'enough, enough now' knowing he will never have her :( My mates think it is well BENT that I like Love Actually but I really think it is an absolutely brilliant film.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
a few years ago my lovely mum died of cancer.
a couple of days after the funeral whilst the family were still "a la maison" i decided to get a video out from blockbuster along with some popcorn and a few bottles of wine,time to sit down as a family i thought and have some light relief.So i rented Finding Neverland......Peter Pan stuff......great stuff for making everyone feel better...........what could possibly go wrong.......!
well blow me when the crucial scene came it was an eruption of tears from everyone,i would have felt slightly guilty except i was crying like a baby also

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Another one for Love Actually.

It's not the actual scene itself (though it is rather sad) but just the acting by Liam Neeson...at 1:45 in the below video, whilst he is a pallbearer for his late wife...just clings on a bit tighter to the casket whilst carrying it out...that little bit just ruins me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember Watership Down being particularly brutal as a youngster. The video and words to the song Bright Eyes will bring a tear to a glass eye.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Ring of Bright Water when I was a kid. That was horrendous!

Love Actually is a great film but does not make me cry.

The one that got me and my wife recently (my wife had nightmares afterwards), was the end of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. She never wants to watch that film again.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
The end of The Elephant Man where he chooses to sleep as others do knowing fair well he will die by doing so. On his bed clutching a photo of his mother and then Barber's Adagio for
Strings cranks up to stick and twist the knife deep into your heart.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Greyfriars bobby when he sneaks back into the grave yard to sit by he's masters grave. Got a tear in My eye just thinking about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here