Which 'derby' game interests you the most as a neutral?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
UK:
Leeds v United
Millwall v West Ham
Cardiff v Swansea

Abroad:
Galatasaray v Fenerbahce
Red Star Belgrade v Partizan Belgrade
Boca Juniors v River Plate

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Rangers Celtic

I went to this fixture in 2001. With the Celtic fans at rangers. Probably the most hatred I've ever experienced at football. And I've been to some pretty mental ones between us and the likes of Pompey, Cardiff and Millwall.

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
The Cairo Derby al ahly v zamalek.this is a fierce Derby.i was on holiday there the week leading up to a game between these two and the atmosphere was unreal.mind you I tend to like the idea of coming home from football under my own steam rather than in a box!

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
The Cairo Derby al ahly v zamalek.this is a fierce Derby.i was on holiday there the week leading up to a game between these two and the atmosphere was unreal.mind you I tend to like the idea of coming home from football under my own steam rather than in a box!

I thought that one would come up. They've had to import refs for it in the past, including George Courtney on one occasion I seem to remember.

I've been to Man Utd v Liverpool three times, I've been to Arsenal v Spurs and Chelsea v QPR (back when they were evenly matched). Of the ones I've not seen, I think I'd like to sit in the home section at Celtic Park for an Old Firm game. No affinity for either of them, it'd just be interesting to see if it's as intense as everybody says.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Love a good derby, at whatever level. Nothing will ever come close to Palace/Brighton, obviously.

But have enjoyed a few over the years. Malmo v Helsingborg was a surprise, kicked off big style before and after outside, and during on the pitch.

Top of my list I'd like to go to but haven't yet would be Galatasary v Fenerbahce, River Plate v Boca Juniors and Celtic v Rangers.

Failing that, Woking v Aldershot would be cheaper.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I did read the word 'neutral' but in 40 years of following the sport nothing comes close to Palace away

I have been to many of them and a few of them have been quite tepid affairs. I know you said away but the bore draw at Withdean even had both sets of fans exiting at the same time, so bored and cold that they couldn't be bothered to shout insults at each other never mind throw a punch.

I have not been to a Millwall v West Ham match (or some of the others listed) but I suspect that it is an altogether different league of hatred.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Derby v Mickelover RBL, the Derby Derby, and therefore the Derby to end all Derbies :) It's never happened though, so for me Spurs v Arsenal always seem to be an interesting affair. That said, proper derbies should put city against city, which is why Derby v Forest is so rabid, for that reason Cardiff v Swansea...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Millwall vs West Ham.

The Bristol derby also

With you on the Bristol Derby. Quite fancy a Sheffield Derby too.

But I don't really get what is so great about Millwall - West Ham. Millwall are about the quarter of the size so it's a bit lop sided, and the ground is never full because a lot of fans of both clubs stay away and what away fans are allowed in are restricted in numbers.

I can only imagine it would be very annoying being herded around with hordes of absolute tosspots for hours after the game.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
With you on the Bristol Derby. Quite fancy a Sheffield Derby too.

But I don't really get what is so great about Millwall - West Ham. Millwall are about the quarter of the size so it's a bit lop sided, and the ground is never full because a lot of fans of both clubs stay away and what away fans are allowed in are restricted in numbers.

I can only imagine it would be very annoying being herded around with hordes of absolute tosspots for hours after the game.

Always funny at Millwall v Palace though when the Den DJ plays 'Living Next Door To Alice' and they all sing 'Who the f*** are Palace'.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Down here, among the lesser clubs of the south coast, it's got to be Southampton v Portsmouth (or Saints v Pompey, or Scummers v Skates). The hate fest is a wonder to behold and being a jolly old Brighton fan I'm everyone's friendly neutral - a bit like a UN peacekeeper, just sit on the fence and watch the shit hit the fan. Marvellous!

Me too!

It is a very spicy derby because it's not just about football, It's geographical and historical. The hatred is intense, outside of football people from Southampton really hate everything about Portsmouth and vice versa. Inner city derbies in England like the London, Manchester and Liverpool ones etc are not as fierce IMO as they are generally just about football matters and day to day the fans all get on in life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports