Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which Albion player has annoyed you the most since you started watching the Albion?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It will be players like Buckley, Paul Brooker. Who could look amazing but generally failed to deliver regularly.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
He is who I first thought of.

I always felt, if he could be bothered he could have been so much better than he was most of the time.
Wasted potential.

This with bells on! Turned it on for the 91 Millwall play offs but most of the time could not be arsed.

I've always found I can be almost more forgiving of players who are just plain rubbish. But what really grinds my gears are those who have the ability but just can't be bothered.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Being a JCL I think it was Bong who pushed all my buttons. He did try, though. I'll give him that.

I also remember Akpom not appearing to give a shite, which irked me.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
That midfielder from Exeter I believe it was. Ryan Harley. Genuinely looked like he had everything but just didn’t have enough of whatever it was he didn’t have. Sort of player that I’m sure, with a slightly different mentality, could play at any level. But just did very little. He scored a free kick from 140 yards out IIRC.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Daren Bent, did not want to be here, didn’t try and couldn’t wait to feck off, so much so I swear he pretended to be injured.

So pissed off with his attitude for us.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Towards the end of Hughton's first season we played Bournemouth on a Friday night.

I had the day off and due to the train problems the journey over to Brighton was painfully slow. By the time I got to Brighton Station the que for the trains to Falmer snaked out of the station by the taxi-tank, along the front of the station and back in through the main entrance (by WH Smith's).

As you can imagine, I joined the que in a pretty foul mood but what topped it off was when the team-news came through and Leon Best was upfront on his own. That was it for me, I just turned round, went back through the ticket barriers and jumped back on the train I had just got off, as it was going back the way it came. I then followed the game from the comfort of my own home.

We lost.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

I believe this was the same game.. The queue for the train was already tempting me to stay but Leon Best starting was the tipping point.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Wow - you actually missed the whole game because he was playing ?!?!

As someone earlier mentioned. It was a Friday night game and the trains were a shambles, I was already contemplating staying in the pub with the train queues snaking around the station, Leon Best starting was all I needed to convince me to stay.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Yup. Only played 10 games for us but a player I will never forget. Made zero effort in every game. The only player in a Brighton shirt I have ever booed.

Billy big bollocks attitude but without the skill or application to back it up.

(Can you tell I'm still annoyed? :D)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yup. Only played 10 games for us but a player I will never forget. Made zero effort in every game. The only player in a Brighton shirt I have ever booed.

Billy big bollocks attitude but without the skill or application to back it up.

(Can you tell I'm still annoyed? :D)

9 were substitute performances too. I can’t help thinking neither him or Leon Best wouldn’t have got anywhere near the matchday squad under GP. I have no idea what CH was thinking

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ali Al-Habsi

What a complete waste of time and money in signing him on loan was. Brought in for a month as Stockdale was injured, played one game, then due to not being allowed to field him against Wigan (his parent club) and buggered off on international duty for the next two.

Hardly the player's fault! If you had been chosen to play for your country would you have refused to go? :facepalm:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So many votes on here for loan players, Best, Akpom, Savage et al. The problem with signing any player on loan is that you can never be sure how much effort they are going to put in.

Knowing that after a specified time they will be back with their parent club, and that they are on a guaranteed salary whilst on loan anyway, they are often unwilling to push themselves too hard, make that risky last gasp tackle, or throw themselves iin front of the ball, to avoid the chance of injury.

That said, l agree that the three players mentioned were all rubbish in an Albion shirt!

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Robbie Savage.

Good player in his day who came to us when he should have been head and shoulders above most in the squad, but basically admitted that he couldn't be arsed.

On loan, I know, but I have to agree that his Billy Bigtime attitude really wound me up, to the extent that I still mention it whenever he appears on TV! Can't stand the guy!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Robbie Savage
Evening game think against Leicester at Withdean. Strolled around as if it was below him. Not sure who manager was but had the balls to take him off at half time and we won.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
One for the older fans, Ken Goodeve, the first signing of the Brian Clough era. He looked like a centre half until the game started.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
View attachment 141140

Why oh why ?

Even 35 years on, the thought of him being selected for the 1986 FA Cup Quarter Final vs Stains, still brings a tear to my eye :wozza:

This is whom sprung to mind as soon as I saw the thread title. We even used to name other things that didn't work out when they could/should have as 'A Fergie'. Basically things that could have been great, but didn't make it and so became nothing - like potting some great pool shots followed by missing a simple black, dropping a sitter off their main batsman at cricket, or hitting 20 then 5&1 both close to the wire at darts. And so on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here