[Albion] Which Albion player has annoyed you the most since you started watching the Albion?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree 100%

Above average in an absolutely shit team, but there was very little talent behind the effort.

He stayed at the club about 5 years longer than he ought to have as well. He went about 4 YEARS without scoring a goal FFS, and still people were begging for him to be given chance after chance.

Didn't help that I bumped into him in hospitality at Spurs v Albion (at the new Spurs gaff), cheering on Spurs, with his FKW spurs kid.

Not having that. The only bright spots in going to Gillingham were the fact that OGH, Minton and Rod Thomas (great full length diving save in one game) played for us there.

Oh and the fact that Ritchie the bear Barker found his scoring boots eventually.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
It’s a broadchurch of answers really, for underachieving it has to be a toss up between Jeff Minton, Robert Codner or Jason Peake, for basically ‘nicking a living’ probably Paul Kitson and for clearly being totally out of his depth, Glen Thomas, Ashley Neal or Michael Mahoney-Johnson.

bit harsh on Minton?

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Jamie Moralee.

Had one brilliant season with Millwall before going out with that coke whore, Daniella Westbrook, and never being the same player ever again. A huge disappointment when we were at Gillingham.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
See you gave yourself away there as some one who clearly never went to Gillingham.
It wasnt possible to single out just ONE player from then.

Rod had pedigree and talent but consistently made the wrong decision.

That was the frustration.

Others were worse players for sure but maybe my expectations were already lower. Rod was exciting.

It's the hope that hurts most.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Joe Gatting annoyed me a lot. Prolific in reserves & youth level and borderline useless at 1st team level; yet had loads of chances. A degree of a name buys you chances and time? Same could pretty much be said for his cricket career.

Did Gatting get 'loads of chances'?

He was asked to play as a target man at the age of 18, which was a huge ask. He actually made just 16 league starts in his time at the club, so take his stats with a pinch of salt.

For example in his final season (07/08) the stats say he scored no goals in 9 appearances. Every one of those was as a sub, with his EARLIEST introduction in the 82nd minute...

As for the cricket - he scored a ton on his Sussex debut (limited overs) and 150 on his First Class debut. Plenty of genuine talent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did Gatting get 'loads of chances'?

He was asked to play as a target man at the age of 18, which was a huge ask. He actually made just 16 league starts in his time at the club, so take his stats with a pinch of salt.

For example in his final season (07/08) the stats say he scored no goals in 9 appearances. Every one of those was as a sub, with his EARLIEST introduction in the 82nd minute...

As for the cricket - he scored a ton on his Sussex debut (limited overs) and 150 on his First Class debut. Plenty of genuine talent.

Made the right decision, he was shit at professional football but I just wrote him off as that. Big lad who looked much better than he was against smaller kids I assume. There was a reason he didn’t get too many chances.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Been watching since 1976 and I can honestly say that no player has annoyed me more than Connolly!!!

Honestly no one else has given less of a f£&@ when they’ve been given an opportunity than him in my opinion.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Without doubt Foster Caskey Seemed to have lots of ability but took easy route every game in and around centre circle playing short passes. Always seemed afraid to do anything different and make attacking runs. Just shows you can make a living as a footballer by being average.

Agree with this, another very similar was Alan Navarro.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Of cousre you're allowed to have an opinion.

Didn't/doesn't sound like that

But i would argue a player being "crap" is relative to the level we're playing at, and although he wouldn't get in todays side he played a really important role for us in promotion seasons, and to just dismiss him because the standard was lower (which is what it comes across as) is insulting to him.

I'm dismissing him as you put it because I didn't think he was any good. But none of them were at that time.

And yeah he is a legend. You don't have to be the best player to have ever played for us or to have played in the prem to gain the honour.

Didn't say you did. Don't consider any of the current squad to be Albion legends.

As I say he earned 3 promotions with us, and played during the clubs lowest ebb.

And two relegations

He didn't score 30 goals a season,

He barely scored 30 goals in his career!!

but he did give it everything

Again proving my point perfectly. Albion fans love a trier, ability doesn't matter!

and spent his entrie professional career with us.

And that probably tells you all you need to know.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Interesting that no-one has mentioned FFS Murray. He annoyed everyone intensely when he signed for Palace! Probably more so at the time than the frustrations with players we're mainly talking about.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Jason Dodd.
Played hundreds of games for Southampton and was going to retire, but came to us during the Withdean years.
Probably knew his playing days were over but still signed for us, ended up playing about 7 games for the Albion.
Maybe not his fault and I’m being harsh, but just seemed a waste of wages.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It’s a broadchurch of answers really, for underachieving it has to be a toss up between Jeff Minton, Robert Codner or Jason Peake, for basically ‘nicking a living’ probably Paul Kitson and for clearly being totally out of his depth, Glen Thomas, Ashley Neal or Michael Mahoney-Johnson.

Did Jeff Minton under achieve? he was certainly one of our stand out players in what was, let's face it, a pretty crap side.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
No player that puts in the effort (and does not act like Billy BB) can annoy me. Only the manager perhaps for selecting him.
It is the player with obvious and proven skill that just cannot be bothered that really gets me going. There are many players listed already - but definitely not Minton. Obviously Best and then perhaps Moralee at Scunthorpe - came on as sub and got sent off, all around the halfway line. It must rank as one of the shortest-ever appearances. Then he disappeared so quick that I couldn't even shout at him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Without doubt Foster Caskey. Seemed to have lots of ability but took easy route every game in and around centre circle playing short passes. Always seemed afraid to do anything different and make attacking runs. Just shows you can make a living as a footballer by being average.

You could pretty much be describing Dale Jasper there!

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Mark Mccammon. A game at Hull he was on the bench. When he started warming up I told my dad that I would walk out if he came on. He came on, I saw no more of the game as I went to get a beer. Petulant teenager that I was!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Amex era = Ryan Harley. Never seen a centre mid less up for getting their foot in

Withdean era = Mark McCammon. Clueless footballer

Gillingham era = Too many to think about it. Just trying to think makes my blood start to boil

Goldstone era = Jason Peake. We spent a good few quid on him, and he just fannied around and fell over

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Calamity Wayne Henderson.

This. He was a crap shot stopper with no presence which kept FDM out at the time. Remember McGee saying he was playing because his 'distribution' was better. He'd throw it out to our wing back but we were absolute dog shit in that relegation season from the Championship so it was better if the ball spent more time in the air or off the pitch (which FDM would sometime give you). He was crap but the worse part was that he actually thought he was good. Did absolutely nothing in his career unlike the FDM.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports