Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where were you for the storm of '87?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Had recently bought a flat in Queens Park Road,Brighton and my girlfriend(now wife)were woken by the storm. Got up and moved into the lounge because directly above the bedroom was a chimney stack. It didn't come down.
Left for work walked down Albion Hill few tiles on the ground,dustbins scattered around but nothing was going prepare me for what was coming next. Walked into St.peters/Lewes rd and the sight of all the fallen trees around the level was unbelievable. Remember thinking to myself bloody hell it must have been bad then.
No chance of a bus so began walking to Hove climbing over the trees in order to do so. Got to old shoreham road and someone who I worked with stopped to give me a lift. I was working for Hove council back then and we were told to get up to Hangelton with tarpaulins,roof tiles etc. When we gotup there gables down,roofs completely off. Chimneys gone through houses. Never forget that site. Long hard day that was.
Got home looked up at my flat realised that there was a hole in it from missing tiles. Climbed up into the loft wondering what to do and luckily there was some lino which I managed to stop the water coming in with. Let's hope tonight isn't as bad.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I'd spent the previous month re-slating 6 oast houses in Plaxtol............I spent the next month re-slating 6 oast houses in Plaxtol!

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Was living in digs on New England Hill and was due to pick up a lorry in Horley, then be on a site in Aldershot by half six am. Half asleep in the motor wondering why there was a tree lying across Preston Rd, then the same story on all other routes out of town. Coincidentally, a fellow lodger was a locum KFC manager, who was due at a branch that morning in Aldershot no less...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Living at home with my parents, went to Bensons nightclub on the Thursday and whilst walking home in the small hours noticed it was getting a bit windy. Then managed to crash out at home and slep through it, the miraculous thing was that it happened at 2-3am rather than 2-3pm when there might have been some serious casualties.

I remember that colour of the sky when we left Chapmans at about midnight.
Lost nearly all of my roof that night.
My lounge windows blew in and the cats thought it great fun to have an extra cat flap.
Scary night that was.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Chatham Place , Seven Dials

Had recently bought a flat in Queens Park Road,Brighton and my girlfriend(now wife)were woken by the storm. Got up and moved into the lounge because directly above the bedroom was a chimney stack. It didn't come down.
Left for work walked down Albion Hill few tiles on the ground,dustbins scattered around but nothing was going prepare me for what was coming next. Walked into St.peters/Lewes rd and the sight of all the fallen trees around the level was unbelievable. Remember thinking to myself bloody hell it must have been bad then.
No chance of a bus so began walking to Hove climbing over the trees in order to do so. Got to old shoreham road and someone who I worked with stopped to give me a lift. I was working for Hove council back then and we were told to get up to Hangelton with tarpaulins,roof tiles etc. When we gotup there gables down,roofs completely off. Chimneys gone through houses. Never forget that site. Long hard day that was.
Got home looked up at my flat realised that there was a hole in it from missing tiles. Climbed up into the loft wondering what to do and luckily there was some lino which I managed to stop the water coming in with. Let's hope tonight isn't as bad.

I had had a proper heavy session down Savannah I think it was called (next to Harry Ramsdens) walked along the Lewes Rd about 2.30 didn't think it was windy (that's 10 pints for you) the following day I was also working up in Hangleton for Hove Council, a very long day indeed but that was due to the hangover. so apologies if I was in the same van as the poster above as I smelt a bit choice and was a lazy as ****, but no real change there! (is that you GL?)

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I had had a proper heavy session down Savannah I think it was called (next to Harry Ramsdens) walked along the Lewes Rd about 2.30 didn't think it was windy (that's 10 pints for you) the following day I was also working up in Hangleton for Hove Council, a very long day indeed but that was due to the hangover. so apologies if I was in the same van as the poster above as I smelt a bit choice and was a lazy as ****, but no real change there! (is that you GL?)
Yes mate. What's your initials.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I was about 3 months old so, unsurprisingly, don't remember it. I would have been in Canterbury though, although I'm told my parents were meant to be taking me to my grandparent's caravan. It's a good thing they didn't in the end, as the caravan was wrecked by the storm, and I almost certainly would have died.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Balcombe - power went off just after Blackadder. Came back on a week later, just before Blackadder. Didn't miss an episode :)

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
We'd just moved to goldstone crescent. Woke up in the morning and Hove Park had gone, as had our beach but.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Blimey, that brings back some memories.

I was at university in Norwich at UEA, in a rented house in a road called Ashby St I think (since knocked down for offices, a job almost done by the '87 storm several years earlier).

There was a lot of roof damage and the landlord - who was called Major Le Coq (no really, that was his name, and he owned loads of student houses) wasn't exactly the quickest at sorting it all out with his former military efficiency.

Central Lancing, woke up to single glazing wooden window banging and more of a draught entering the gaps. Looked out said window, only to be a witness to the intruiging concept of flying greenhouses. Going to work at Nissan in Durrington the next day seemed very otherworldly, due to traffic driving around so many trees and obstacles.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I was out with the cub scouts the night before and we went out on a walk and walked along by a stream and i remember the stream overflowing and it being very windy.just seems like yesterday i must have been about 10. Slept through the storm itself though woke up and our greenhouse has gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here