Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where were you for the storm of '87?

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I slept through most of it. I only awoke around 5.30am when next doors greenhouse went flying all over the garden.

I was living in Portsmouth at the time. The beautification of the local environment was there for all to see after the storm......

In Devon visiting relatives. Watched pics of the devastation on TV the following morning, fortunately when we returned home neither my or my parent's house had suffered any drastic damage. (Grammar police, you may wish to comment on the last bit of that statement).

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
In the north of France on an exchange trip. I remember the wind being so strong that my puny 11-year-old arms couldn't close a car door against it. Fortunately we didn't have to get the ferry back until the following day.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
At home with my family in Lindfield (I was 13) I remember sitting on my cabin bed with my brother (parents were asleep) talking and wondering whether the tree in the back garden was going to fall on the house.
I have seen a photo of me walking along somewhere in Lindfield in my school uniform with fallen trees everywhere, I don't actually remember this though.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Living in Hornchurch woke at 2am to see the 60ft tree crashing down between 2 cars and not a scratch on them. School cancelled then some bloke with a chainsaw chopped the tree up to allow access in the afternoon, thought it was very exciting.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
In Thornton Heath. I slept through it and couldn't understand why the house was in darkness and there was a tree leaning against the bedroom window.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In bed....although I was woken up by the sound of next doors greenhouse disintegrating and tiles falling off our roof!

Remember heading into brighton and walking over the debris of the steine and all the thousands of dead birds!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Slept through it, which was interesting as we at the time we lived in Sevenoaks, just along from the Vine cricket ground with the seven oaks on it. Six of them came down. I remember getting up, looking out the window at the back garden and remarking that it must have been "a bit windy, as the dustbin lid has blown off".

Walking to work became something of an arboreal expedition for a while after that ...

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Was sleeping rough, you know, one of these tramps you see out and about. Needed somewhere hinda of warm so found an old car in someones back garden so got my head down for the night only to be woken with the owners wall and tree come crashing down on the car. I didn't care to much and tried to get some more sleep but by god it was hard that night.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I was working the door of a nightclub in Pompey, rode my Harley home during the height of the storm when I finished.
That was quite an experience :eek:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Slept through it, which was interesting as we at the time we lived in Sevenoaks, just along from the Vine cricket ground with the seven oaks on it. Six of them came down. I remember getting up, looking out the window at the back garden and remarking that it must have been "a bit windy, as the dustbin lid has blown off".

Walking to work became something of an arboreal expedition for a while after that ...

I remember Sevenoaks became something of a popular story whenever the storm was mentioned subsequently as everyone couldn't wait to share the comical tale of how SEVENOAKS was now just ONE OAK after six trees had been felled by the winds. I don't think ANYONE in the country escaped hearing that one

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I was house sitting for friends and couldn't sleep so went out for a drive. Didn't cross my mind for one minute the danger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here