Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Where were you born (Sussex born people ignore this thread)

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
That is spookily close to me. I was born in Gloucester and moved to Worthing in 1983:eek::mad:

I was a little older than 18 and now live in Australia, but otherwise spot on!

Don’t tell me, you live in Exmouth, Australia? (there is an Exmouth in Australia) We could have been separated at birth :lolol:

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I was born in Poole, Dorset.

Growing up in the 1970s I was regularly taken to Dean Court by my dad to watch Bournemouth. It wasn’t for me though and I ended up being a fan of Weymouth instead.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I was born in Rochdale, so would have spent the first 35 years of my life watching 4th division football. Still I would have seen some half decent strikers along the way, the likes of Ricky Lambert, Adam Le Fondre, Glen Murray, Grant Holt and Chris O’Grady all graced the hallowed turf of Spotland during their careers.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Don’t tell me, you live in Exmouth, Australia? (there is an Exmouth in Australia) We could have been separated at birth :lolol:

No, a little over 2000 miles away!:lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Born Royal Victoria Hospital in Boscombe back in December 1961. Bournemouth’s old Dean Court wasn’t much more than a stone’s throw away. Went to my first games in 1971 including a 3-0 thrashing of Villa in the old Third Division. That season Villa won the league and The Albion were second. Only two went up in those days W d Bournemouth ended up third!

Had a season ticket at Bournemouth for a few years before moving to work in Hove in 1990. Managed to catch a couple of games at the Goldstone ... West Ham and Port Vale ... think I’ve still got the programmes ... and also went to Wembley for the play off against Notts County.

Still have a soft spot for my ‘old’ team ... which I know won’t be very popular amongst many here [emoji33] ... but you can’t help where you’re born [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you can not. I've always had an eye out for Steyning, and Shoreham as its my home town. I spent my first 5 years in Steyning and went to school there from 12. Played my first football for Strikers too when I was 8 or 9 . . . . Home games on the 18th for both towns, and I'm leaning toward a cycle ride to Steyning, unless its hailing and -3!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
How do you do sir?? I also wondered who else might be out there...

That part of West Germany was thick with Garrison Towns and BMH Rinteln served most of them. I went back there with my folks in 1992. My Dad was terminally ill, my Grandmother (coincidentally German) wrote to his old battalion (1st Light Infantry, based in Lemgo for much of the early 70's, however he spent most of that time in Northern Ireland) and suggested the army might invite him to show his children where he lived when we were born. At the time the Irish Rangers were based at Lemgo. They put us up for a few days in the Officer's Mess, invited us to inspect the parades and watch a field exercise with the Battalion Commander. We visited BMH Rinteln, which was in a period of de-escalation in preparation for handover to the town. We also visited the mountain lodge in Linderhoff where my parents chose to reside over married quarters, and where my Grandparents turned up in their Ford Anglia with a cot on the roof that my Granddad had made by hand. They drove non stop from Doncaster with a crossing from Hull to Rotterdam. I was their first grandchild. All three of my kids spent their first months in that same cot. Me & my brother (19 & 16) went out in Lemgo on the piss a couple of nights with the young Irish squaddies, drank far too much kellerbier, and even got in to a scrap with some Ruperts (officers) which was hilarious. Dad sadly died shortly after this trip, he was only 42 years old.

In 2001 my wife and I visited the area over xmas and new year. The barracks at Lemgo had been converted to refugee accommodation, and Rinteln had it's own community hospital. The lodge in Linderhoff was still there and we spent a couple of nights in the absolutely stunning Linderhoff Hotel, where from our window I had a perfect view of the place I lived as a baby.

Sorry I got a bit sentimental there, but it's cathartic to write your story and frame it the way you need to. I'll be 50 in a couple of years, my fantastic Dad didn't make it that far, but he lives on for me in all of these memories.

Thanks for that We didn't go over to Lemgo much, preferring to travel to Hameln (lovely old town) and Minden. As I recall, but it was largely before my time, there was a NATO Dutch regiment near Lemgo. When I first went to the BMH as a visitor in 1980 (we lived in Rinteln for 24 years afterwards) I asked if they had a record of my birth for me to see -1951. Great response -sorry, our records don't go back that far! We loved our time over there, but I did miss watching the Albion, which I could only do at holiday time.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Born in North West London, South Harrow. Used to go and watch Wealdstone as a kid, but nearest league team would have been Watford I think. That all changed on 31st Jan 1978.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Solihull (to a Sussex born, and generally residing mother up there for first job after Uni of Birmingham arranged her initial placement). Quickly moved back to Sussex as a toddler, where I was then based for majority of life until fed up with UK around Brexit time, moved to a more relaxed life in the sun. Feel 100% Sussex though.

Non-League Solihull Moors are decent I think?

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Slough.

First ever game was at the old Dolphin Stadium vs. Hitchin Town in the 60s, Athenian League. First "real" league game was QPR, Div 3. My first serious g/f's family moved to Sussex (Kingston/Lewes) so needless to say my uni all-conquering Subbutro team (take that, Walsall, Halifax and Charlton) included the Napiers, Kenny Beamish et al. After uni moved to Brighton of course to pursue same and saw my first game at the Goldstone in 1975 vs Aldershot. Witnessed the glory days of Peter Ward before moving to the US.

Slough Town FC (my 2nd club) have had a tumultuous path in the lower leagues not unlike the Albion -- reached Tier 5 (Vauxhall Conference), crappy owner, lost their ground, dropped to Tier 8, almost went out of business, now back home and in the National League South.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Nottingham, went to school in Notts at a time when they were the best team in the world but we had Peter ward then they nicked him.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
So if you had to follow a team close to your birthplace who would you be supporting?

I was born in Nottingham so I guess I’d probably have chosen Forest over County

What fun I would have had. Clough and Taylor, First Division winners, two European Cups...things would have been a bit grim over the last couple of decades though

You?

Ironically my brother was born in Portslade (like me) but supports Forest as we moved to Notts when we were young. Fortunately I’ve kept with the team I was born into

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Beckenham. Parents lived in Sydenham. ........ Crystal Palace:ffsparr:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Shoreham By Sea, that’s Sussex right? Just curious.....

Weird reply... surbiton doesn’t have a hospital. I was just asking as it may have had one years ago. My gran was born in Kingston and I live here and have done for 20 years so was just being curious... no need to be defensive

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here