Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Where were you born (Sussex born people ignore this thread)

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Born in Rinteln, Germany (Dad was Army) so nearest Bundesliga club would be Arminia Bielefeld, currently in the relegation zone.

Raised in Doncaster, a stone's throw from Belle View where I regularly attended with (now passed) Dad to watch Billy Bremner keep the grass nice & green by covering it with sh1t once a week.

Moved to Brighton in 1995, met a local girl in 1996 who's (now passed) Dad was Albion through & through, 24 years later we're married with 3 kids and 5 season tickets.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
i'm Shoreham so i'm ignoring this thread.

Daughter born in Camden - as our intended move before her due date (Oct) got delayed so we had to vacate our property in Camden or the sale would fall though, we could not move into our current house in Brighton until March so we rented for two months in Islington and spent 2 months in Detroit before finally moving. Still annoyed we did not move before she was born. Proud to say she went to the first Albion game v Eastbourne was it in Sussex Senior Cup Final, and has been supporting the Albion ever since.

Wife born Detroit so she should support Detroit City FC, but she has been coming with me to away games before we had our daughter and fell in love with the Albion after being caught up in a tidal wave when she was stood on the steps as we scored away at Palace in that famous 1-0 all those years ago.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Tottenham Hotspuds.

Super local to me, entirety of one side of my family are season ticket holders and my school was 50/50 Arsenal and Spurs. Obviously, my dad signed me up as a Junior Seagull on day 1 to avoid any pending confusion about where my loyalties should lie.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Not me but my dad was born in Oxford at the John Radcliffe hospital as his dad was stationed there during the war to fix planes. He was a master carpenter and stonemason [fun fact he actually did the masonry for the Welcome to Brighton obelisks on the A23].

Moved back to Brighton when he was 9mths.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I'm nominally Dirty Leeds.

I could even hear matchdays from my street until I moved at 10, living just off Elland Road (it's a long road).

Stayed near Leeds until university.

Never been to Elland Road stadium.

How the hell have you never been to Elland Road ???

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
For the record, I was born in Wegberg, Germany (my dad was in the RAF)
Local team would be Borussia Mönchengladbach.

But after being born, my dad moved back to blighty a month later, where parents settled in Hastings :thumbsup:

Coincidence. I was born at the BMH (British Military Hospital ) at Rinteln,(dad in the Army of Occupation) and now live in Hastings!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Born in Hayes, so Hayes and Yeading United.

Nearest league club would be Brentford I guess...

But nearest league club by the time I was old enough to know what a football was (3-ish) would be BHAFC.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Born in Rinteln, Germany (Dad was Army) so nearest Bundesliga club would be Arminia Bielefeld, currently in the relegation zone.

Raised in Doncaster, a stone's throw from Belle View where I regularly attended with (now passed) Dad to watch Billy Bremner keep the grass nice & green by covering it with sh1t once a week.

Moved to Brighton in 1995, met a local girl in 1996 who's (now passed) Dad was Albion through & through, 24 years later we're married with 3 kids and 5 season tickets.
When this thread came up, I wondered if anyone else would come up with Rinteln, and yes, you were here too. Have you been back since? The hospital was extended and then in the late 1990s handed back to the town of Rinteln, when the British Forces were allocated German hospitals near to their various stations -those in the Rinteln area went to Bielefeld.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
When this thread came up, I wondered if anyone else would come up with Rinteln, and yes, you were here too. Have you been back since? The hospital was extended and then in the late 1990s handed back to the town of Rinteln, when the British Forces were allocated German hospitals near to their various stations -those in the Rinteln area went to Bielefeld.

How do you do sir?? I also wondered who else might be out there...

That part of West Germany was thick with Garrison Towns and BMH Rinteln served most of them. I went back there with my folks in 1992. My Dad was terminally ill, my Grandmother (coincidentally German) wrote to his old battalion (1st Light Infantry, based in Lemgo for much of the early 70's, however he spent most of that time in Northern Ireland) and suggested the army might invite him to show his children where he lived when we were born. At the time the Irish Rangers were based at Lemgo. They put us up for a few days in the Officer's Mess, invited us to inspect the parades and watch a field exercise with the Battalion Commander. We visited BMH Rinteln, which was in a period of de-escalation in preparation for handover to the town. We also visited the mountain lodge in Linderhoff where my parents chose to reside over married quarters, and where my Grandparents turned up in their Ford Anglia with a cot on the roof that my Granddad had made by hand. They drove non stop from Doncaster with a crossing from Hull to Rotterdam. I was their first grandchild. All three of my kids spent their first months in that same cot. Me & my brother (19 & 16) went out in Lemgo on the piss a couple of nights with the young Irish squaddies, drank far too much kellerbier, and even got in to a scrap with some Ruperts (officers) which was hilarious. Dad sadly died shortly after this trip, he was only 42 years old.

In 2001 my wife and I visited the area over xmas and new year. The barracks at Lemgo had been converted to refugee accommodation, and Rinteln had it's own community hospital. The lodge in Linderhoff was still there and we spent a couple of nights in the absolutely stunning Linderhoff Hotel, where from our window I had a perfect view of the place I lived as a baby.

Sorry I got a bit sentimental there, but it's cathartic to write your story and frame it the way you need to. I'll be 50 in a couple of years, my fantastic Dad didn't make it that far, but he lives on for me in all of these memories.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Born Royal Victoria Hospital in Boscombe back in December 1961. Bournemouth’s old Dean Court wasn’t much more than a stone’s throw away. Went to my first games in 1971 including a 3-0 thrashing of Villa in the old Third Division. That season Villa won the league and The Albion were second. Only two went up in those days W d Bournemouth ended up third!

Had a season ticket at Bournemouth for a few years before moving to work in Hove in 1990. Managed to catch a couple of games at the Goldstone ... West Ham and Port Vale ... think I’ve still got the programmes ... and also went to Wembley for the play off against Notts County.

Still have a soft spot for my ‘old’ team ... which I know won’t be very popular amongst many here [emoji33] ... but you can’t help where you’re born [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here